Author Topic: Compatibility with RetroUSB's AVS??  (Read 29246 times)

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
Re: Compatibility with RetroUSB's AVS??
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Got my N8 yesterday and it's amazing! I tested CV3 and got graphical glitches even after updating my AVS to v1.20b6. I see now that there is a b7. Has anyone tried it out? Anything new added? I didn't mess around too much with CV3 so I'm not giving up hope yet.

Make sure you turn off extra sprites. Also, b7 is required to fix a bug with CV3.

This is perfect. I'll give both of those a try. Thanks!

Did it work?
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO

On my wishlist:
Everdrive GBA - EDGB X3 - Saturn Satisfier

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 05:30 PM »
I need to ask, I've been trying to get my Everdrive N8 to work with my AVS for the past week. I've formatted, reloaded, tried other cards, made sure the AVS system was up to date everything I can think of to get it to work to no avail. I get stuck on the 'OS Init...' screen.

I did notice that in the video the 'SAVES' folder is outside of the 'EDFC' folder, could that be what I'm missing.

1. There's no reason why your evedrive wouldn't work on the AVS, which OS version are you using on both the everdrive and AVS? make sure you have the latest for both, and follow the installation instructions to the letter for both.

2. Test with different microSD, perhaps thats the issue.

3. Make sure your everdrive works on real hardware.

4. Test your AVS with real carts.

5. Did you buy your everdrive directly from Kkrikz.com?

I bought the Everdrive from Retrogate.com, both of them are up to date to the latest firmware, and the AVS does work with original NES carts. I haven't been able to test the N8 with an original NES though.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I need to ask, I've been trying to get my Everdrive N8 to work with my AVS for the past week. I've formatted, reloaded, tried other cards, made sure the AVS system was up to date everything I can think of to get it to work to no avail. I get stuck on the 'OS Init...' screen.

I did notice that in the video the 'SAVES' folder is outside of the 'EDFC' folder, could that be what I'm missing.

1. There's no reason why your evedrive wouldn't work on the AVS, which OS version are you using on both the everdrive and AVS? make sure you have the latest for both, and follow the installation instructions to the letter for both.

I bought the Everdrive from Retrogate.com, both of them are up to date to the latest firmware, and the AVS does work with original NES carts. I haven't been able to test the N8 with an original NES though.

What is the source of your ROM and N8 system files? The go-to option is the Smokemonster Everdrive pack. Google it and give that pack a shot. You don't have to do anything but unzip all the folders to a freshly formatted sd card. It works great.

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 10:23 PM »

What is the source of your ROM and N8 system files? The go-to option is the Smokemonster Everdrive pack. Google it and give that pack a shot. You don't have to do anything but unzip all the folders to a freshly formatted sd card. It works great.

The No-Intro Collection.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 01:27 AM »
Grab the smokemonster everdrive n8 pack and give that a shot.

A bunch of his roms are sourced from no-intro, but they are all tested by the community and he regularly updates as needed. He also has the some of most up to date mappers for N8 included, including several expansion audio mapper fixes for certain famicom games.

Just format and unzip to the sd card it comes preloaded with the os files, nothing needs to be added to get it working.

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2017, 01:53 AM »

A bunch of his roms are sourced from no-intro, but they are all tested by the community and he regularly updates as needed. He also has the some of most up to date mappers for N8 included, including several expansion audio mapper fixes for certain famicom games.

Just format and unzip to the sd card it comes preloaded with the os files, nothing needs to be added to get it working.

I actually tried that and it still froze, I'll try it again without the beta version of the AVS system and report back.

Edit: Yeah, that didn't work.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:00 AM by KittenGrindr »

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2017, 02:13 AM »

Can you give me a link to the EXACT SD card you are using?

Offline KittenGrindr

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2017, 03:44 AM »

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24 AM »
It would be more likely that the Everdrive has an issue. If the AVS works otherwise, and the Everdrive doesn't work at all, then it probably isn't the AVS.

Try to find an NES to test the Everdrive on, a friend or maybe your local retro game store might let you use one just to test it out.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44 AM »
@KittenGrindr

Please try to use the original NES.
AVS is made to support regular NES cartridges but not to repeat behavior of the original NES.
It works and plays carts but not in the same way as the original NES does.
That's the problem.

Now it would be easier and faster to check your EverDrive with the original NES on your side than to send it back/forth and lose your time.

We strongly recommend to use the original consoles for the best experience over clones because unfortunately there are no good clones. All of them have flaws.

Offline manorock850

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2017, 12:34 AM »
I recently updated both the N8 and the AVS system. I did manage to get Castlevania 3 to work on both original hardware and the AVS. Just last night in the video options menu of the AVS it's a scrambled mess. The AVS used to be able to support both Game Genie and Rob codes now it won't support raw codes whatsoever just a grey screen. I will be playing a game and using savestates and the avs just automatically switched up  to the pal regoion on the AVS settings and messes everything up. I contacted the AVS support hopefully I'll hear something back. I think it's safe to say that both products are excellent but I'm not really becoming a big fan of updating pretty much anything anymore always seem to be problems. I truly believe both products are just fine updates unless they're tested and confirmed just don't seem to work they make things worse sometimes. I am however a little bit shocked flashcarts t have been out longer than these new systems in my opinion i believe they had plenty of time to figure this out to make it compatible with no issues. If anyone else has any suggestions on downgrading the software or buying a new AVS with no updates I'm all ears to hear any solutions. I love the avs but firmware updates causing you not to use what it was intended to be used for toe play games or ROMs or use codes and now just stopped or glitches starting to question it. I mean this system used to be awesome I bought this back in November 2016 I'm just now having problems. I used to be able to put in raw codes and I believe this still with the only system on the market that supports all those formats including Pro Action Replay. I believe if it worked before it just stopped working I don't believe it's actually the system I think it's the software update that's messing it up. I'm curious I'd like to see if anyone else would try to go on and get some raw codes and use those with some ROMs or carts and see if they can still use theirs. God bless you guys have a good weekend curious to hear if anyone's experience any more of these issues i mentioned. I already sent a long email to the AVS team hopefully I'll hear something back their system used to be awesome but it's not working properly with certain things like raw raw codes and the video settings are glitching up now without touching anything but just playing normal.

Offline manorock850

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 01:09 AM »
Im using os version 11. Bios ver 5  cpld ver 2  adate 12.09.16  atime 20.04 this is the version I have on the N8 I updated just last night. The AVS update was performed last night along with this  the version on avs is. Avs v1.20 beta. I was wondering can anybody confirm if they're having any issues with these updates. Video settings are now all glitched out and I can't use cheat codes Raw codes on the ABS and I could before and it's just acting weird and funny with these updates.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2017, 03:33 AM »
15 is the latest OS for Everdrive N8 on the download page. The beta OS for AVS are still a bit buggy. While they have nice features, I ended up rolling back to the non-beta OS for AVS. Both CVIII and Akumajou Densetsu seem to work fine.

Please try to use the original NES.
AVS is made to support regular NES cartridges but not to repeat behavior of the original NES.
It works and plays carts but not in the same way as the original NES does.
That's the problem.

That's not accurate. It uses a FPGA to mimic NES behavior and is designed to be accurate to NES hardware.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:37 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline manorock850

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2017, 06:19 AM »
Hey brother God bless you appreciate you trying to help. If I go ahead an update to version 15 on the everdrive and then just take the 1.2o beta firmware update on the AVS and just roll it back to like 1.10 or something it should be okay right? I just want to make sure that I could still update to version 15 on the N8 and just roll back the AVS to the non-beta OS firmware .I'm hoping that'll solve the problem could you list your versions firmware your using on that AVS and N8 that you're using currently please. I want to make sure that I do this properly and use what works for you it might work for me .The firmware on the avs is absolutely ridiculous! . I personally would have tested before putting out to the public to make sure the firmware is going to work properly with flashcarts since obviously people are using them.The avs used to be able to take part raw codes and Game Genie combined now I just get a grey screen and a lot of glitching this was never the case before the beta update on the avs. The N8 flashcart worked so well before the update that I would load up Game Genie codes on the flashcart and still use certain raw codes on the AVS is cheat menu combined with the everdrive built in cheats. I love my boy krikzz  I think you do good job brother keep it up. I don't mean to sound like I'm trippin  it's just firmware updates need to support what sells   not everybody is going to use regular carts make it compatible or it's not going to be future-proof. In my small business if I do just what I want and not support what people's buying into and selling I will fail as a company. I appreciate all the hard work that went into this. I don't think it's too much to ask for firmware to be useful if it's not going to be useful I'm simply not going to use it anymore along with other people and just stay  at the default firmware.I'm not just picking on the AVS this is smartphones, modern consoles,things need to be fixed quickly and efficiently or don't post them or put them out if it's going to cause people more problems and waste people's time. I will never stop using flashcarts.I believe they are future proof and maybe people that make these clone consoles will realize firmwares need to support what sells plain and simple. I know your thinking this fool is tripping but trust me a lot of people agree with what I'm saying I'm just saying. I know that my physical copies of things aren't going to last forever that's what I mean by the future proof statement no one can deny that they're not going to be forever. I hope you all have a nice weekend and if anybody has any information or help send me a holla out.😄