Author Topic: Famicom Controller Question  (Read 3262 times)

aloram

Famicom Controller Question
« on: September 08, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Hi. Last night, I opened by Famicom controllers to clean the buttons and rubber pads. I noticed that the d-pad in the player 1 controller had "2" written on the bottom, but I didn't know what it meant. I then cleaned the player 2 controller, which had "1" on the bottom of its d-pad. I then realized that these numbers must have been to note which controller each plastic d-pad was for. I now have them in their opposite controllers, and I prefer to not open them again, as one of the screws is a bit broken. The d-pads seemed to be exactly the same size, but does anyone know for sure? I've never seen this in controllers for any other system, so I'm curious why those numbers are there if the pieces are identical. Does anyone know if it matters that I swapped the plastic d-pad pieces? I prefer to not open the controllers again, because of the broken screw I mentioned, but I will if necessary. My Famicom is the model seen in the link below.

Thanks.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/arxptvvtcfutvxg1o81p.png
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:11 PM by aloram »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Famicom Controller Question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Was it written in with a sharpie or was it moulded into the pad? It really shouldn't matter if it's just the D-pad. I've replaced the ones in my Twin Fami with NES ones (they're no different from the Famicom's one).

aloram

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 07:54 PM »
Was it written in with a sharpie or was it moulded into the pad? It really shouldn't matter if it's just the D-pad. I've replaced the ones in my Twin Fami with NES ones (they're no different from the Famicom's one).
Hi, thanks for your response. It was an actual part of each d-pad; it wasn't written.

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 07:15 PM »
Does anyone know if it matters that I swapped the plastic d-pad pieces?
Not at all, they're literally exactly the same.

aloram

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Does anyone know if it matters that I swapped the plastic d-pad pieces?
Not at all, they're literally exactly the same.
Thanks a lot. I wonder why they put the numbers on them.