Author Topic: should i get sd2snes or an everdrive for my snes?  (Read 29125 times)

Offline Shaunydepp418

• View Profile
should i get sd2snes or an everdrive for my snes?
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:42 AM »
i don't seem to understand whats the difference between sd2snes and the snes everdrive? can somebody explain please? which is better and is there one with 100% game compatibility?

Offline teamvb

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 12:09 PM by teamvb »
EVERDRIVE 64v3,SUPERDRIVE v2, SD2SNES rev F (mod to H),UFO PRO SD,GAME DOCTOR 7 128MB USB,TURBO EVERDRIVE v1,MEGA EVERDRIVE V2,EVERDRIVE MD V1,MASTER EVERDRIVE,FLASHKIT MD,EVERDRIVE N8/FAMICOM,EVERDRIVE GBA X5

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
Re: should i get sd2snes or an everdrive for my snes?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I think if you need to play the games with Special Chips, except DSP, you Need to get yourself a SD2SNES.
If you are fine with the most of the games and hacks, you will be satisfied with a Super Everdrive (with or without DSP)
If you want to play games with CD Quality sounds (MSU-1), the ones you find on the net, then you will have to get a SD2SNES.
I have both too and most of the time I am using the normal Super Everdrive.

Offline TDIRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:37 PM »
I was really torn between the two, but I went with the SD2SNES simply because of the extra games that it can play, plus the possibility of adding more enhancement chip games in the future.  Fortunately, I was able to get it a a discounted rate since I bought it during the Black Friday sale.  With that said, I still feel that the Super Everdrive would probably do 99% of what I'll ever do with the SD2SNES.  You won't be disappointed with either as long as you understand the differences between the two and the list of games that they will and won't play.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Turbo EverDrive    EverDrive N8    SD2SNES    EverDrive64 v3    EverDrive GB    EverDrive GBA    Master EverDrive    Mega EverDrive    EverDrive GG

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:32 PM »
If money is at all a concern, go with Super Everdrive.  It's $110 cheaper!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01 AM »
Look what games uses special chips: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips
Super Everdrive can only play the DSP ones (with DSP module only) while SD2SNES can play a few more including MSU-1. https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility
SD2SNES supports Star Ocean with a special patch but the Super Everdrive doesn't have enough rom memory for this hack I think.

Comparison: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/comparison/sd2snes-vs-super-everdrive.html
Flash ROM = slow
7 Mbyte rom memory is enough for Tales of Phantasia but not the patched Star Ocean (unpatched Star Ocean uses a special chip that isn't supported on any flashcart yet).

I strongly recommend SD2SNES mainly because of Megaman X2/X3, MSU-1, BS-X support and all the extra features it has.
There is no SNES flashcart with 100% compatibility, but the SD2SNES has the highest by far. It's expensive, but buying Megaman X2, X3 and a Super Everdrive is much more expensive. Also SD2SNES still has hope for supporting more special chips in the future (not much has happened lately though), while Snes Everdrive probably won't get any better.

Offline Shaunydepp418

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:48 PM »
thanks everyone, as money is not an issue ill will buy sd2snes, i want to play star fox and the megaman x series,i bought an everdrive 64 and im in love with it, and is sd2snes able to run starfox 2 beta/prototype?

aloram

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 02:24 AM »
thanks everyone, as money is not an issue ill will buy sd2snes, i want to play star fox and the megaman x series,i bought an everdrive 64 and im in love with it, and is sd2snes able to run starfox 2 beta/prototype?
No. Here's the incompatibility list:

https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 12:02 PM »
SD2SNES plays anything that other flashcarts do and more, but no flashcart plays Super FX games yet, sorry for the confusion.

Another point of the SD2SNES is that it's fully open source.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 12:04 PM by nuu »

Offline NHS2008

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Is there a such incompatibility list for Super Everdrive?

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 04:15 PM »
Even if on a budget, I would say save up the cash to get the SD2SNES. it's just the complete package and exactly what someone would want in this scenario. Doing otherwise would be settling for less.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline wprpalmeida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2016, 05:02 PM »
Even if on a budget, I would say save up the cash to get the SD2SNES. it's just the complete package and exactly what someone would want in this scenario. Doing otherwise would be settling for less.

That's exactly what I did. I actually got a Super Everdrive but ended selling it and saving a bit for the SD2SNES. The flash memory in the SED was a bit slow, and I was afraid it would die with time.

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 04:52 AM »
If you want access to as much of the SNES library as you can possibly get without literally owning every game cartridge there is for it as well the most features SD2SNES is your cartridge of choice to get.

If however you only care about a few SNES games and you have found out for sure the Super Everdrive will play them then you might as well choose this as it's the cheaper option.

Personally I think there's no other reasonable choice for a hardcore SNES lover to make than getting the SD2SNES and if a person doesn't have enough money to get it at the moment they do themselves a far better service waiting until they do have enough money so they can buy the superior SNES flash cart (which is SD2SNES in my opinion) at that time rather than buying one (the Super Everdrive) and then later buying the other (the SD2SNES) which to do so is simply a gross waste of money.

All that said however the Super Everdrive still has the far cooler sticker.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:56 AM by protheanbeacon »
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.