Author Topic: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated  (Read 97842 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Re: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2017, 05:06 PM »
Only weird thing I noticed was 1 dialogue option isn't translated, and if I skip through text too fast on any of the text boxes which shake back and forth the game crashes. Not complaining just thought those were strange oddities, maybe there's a reason why those things are that way. Also the credits seem to be freezing no matter what I do.

Could you get a screenshot of this dialogue box along with maybe a save game near it?
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2017, 08:56 PM »
I should have done that before I beat the game because I'm not sure I have the time to play it again. It's one of the yes/no dialogue options from the middle of the game. It's no big deal but there's also the credits which glitch out and freeze at the end and this text in the arcade mode that I saw

I can provide a save file for the end of the game if anyone wants to check the credits freezing and glitching out.

Offline Xeraser

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 28, 2017, 12:39 AM »
I'd love to play the Custom Robo games in English..

EDIT: Just noticed that there's some form of patch but I don't want to go through 10 pages of text.. Is it complete or not ?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:40 AM by Xeraser »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 28, 2017, 03:28 AM »
I'd love to play the Custom Robo games in English..

EDIT: Just noticed that there's some form of patch but I don't want to go through 10 pages of text.. Is it complete or not ?

Yes, Binkers87, who made the translation patch, says it's the finished version.

I've just pm'd you with details.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 28, 2017, 05:30 AM »
@Shellshocker: Could you PM me the save game? Or post it? I'd be curious to see the glitches and I don't have time to do a run through of any games these days, sadly.  I still need to finish BotW.

@Xeraser: Binkers87's patch is the final patch.  I've never played the game but he does good work. 

The errors that Shellshocker18 mentioned aren't game breaking.  The picture he posted shows what happens when a texture pointer is pointing to the wrong location.  Nothing serious and easy to miss.  As for the credits glitching - I have no idea without looking into it, but it's just the credits.  It sounds like everything else is translated and working fine.

I'm mostly curious about it since I'm working on a couple of translations myself and I like to see some of the problems encountered along the way.  If I find fixes for either, I'll post them but it's more like adding polish to a finished product.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2017, 02:17 PM »
As for the credits glitching - I have no idea without looking into it, but it's just the credits.

With all due respect to the very talented and hard working people who actually design and make the games that we play, has any gamer ever actually bothered to read through a credits list? A scrolling credits list is often the only 'reward' you get for completing a first person shooter, and it's utterly meaningless to most gamers. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye had it right, as they reward you with an unlockable new mission for each difficulty you complete it on, plus if you complete the game on the hardest difficulty then you get to unlock the special choose-your-difficulty mode whereby you can alter different settings to create new challenges, such as License To Kill (https://speedrunwiki.com/License_To_Kill) and Dark License To Kill (https://speedrunwiki.com/Dark_License_To_Kill).

You still get a credits list of course, if anyone actually wants to read them.

Pointless (to most people) credits are the same in films or TV programs, of course. You might occasionally look at the end credits to see which actor played a certain character, especially if you think you recognise them but aren't sure, but when does anyone look at the credits to see who the casting director was? Or the chief grip (whatever that is)? Or the floor manager?

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 28, 2017, 04:44 PM »
A bit off topic but yes people do care about video game credits. Maybe less than 1% but that doesn't really matter. Heck mobygames website is entirely dedicated to researching names and what credits they appear in. I frequently view and research the credits to every game I play and I mean everything down to mahjong games because you can find some very surprising links and see how influence from devs past experience seeped into their previous and future projects. Just on a historical level it's interesting. You would be surprised how many times games are developed by companies not listed anywhere either than the credits, or something obscure like how Yakouchuu 2 had technical help from Hudson Soft. War Gods is often credited as being made by the same team as Mortal Kombat 4 despite none of the main designers being the same. Singers Etsuyo Ota and Toshihiro Tachibana seemed to have got their start in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

The game designer of Fighters Destiny Masahiro Onoguchi was a motion designer for some other fighting games such as Tobal No.1, Fighting Vipers 2, and the original Tekken, with Genki previously porting Virtua Fighter 3 to Dreamcast. Hell Opus Corp and Anchor inc are companies only mentioned in the credits depite having many employees working on the game, and anchor corp was Onoguchis company. Both companies focused on wrestling games with smooth animation and that tech and game design are clearly shown in Fighters Destiny.

Fun fact, during the development of Milo's Astro Lanes, creative director George Weising reveled in the manual that he named his son Milo. Milo Weising is mentioned again in the credits for the 2009 PS3/PS4 game Flower, which George was a designer for. I know I'm not he only person who finds stuff like that interesting. So yeah I hope my passion for video game credits is clear. I've never met someone else who does it like I do but I'm sure there are others who do.

Anyways on a functional level sometimes getting past the credits is required to save progress or unlock something. Thankfully for Custom Robo that isn't the case because by the final tournament you have all the arenas and I believe all the parts unlocked anyway.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 04:55 PM by Shellshocker18 »

Offline dhoulmagus

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2017, 06:49 AM »
I didn't said anything because I thought that giving my opinion would be annoying but If you find useful some feedback here is: I've played around 2 weeks ago (when I post to thank to Binkers87) and I also found 2 dialoge choices in japanese. And I don't remember why but I think that at least of them was a diferent answer than "yes or no" (because the context. but I don't reember right now) It was always the same character, the guy who plays against you in the first 2 tournaments in the 1st match.
I've found that and a him instead a her in a dialogue with other character but I don't remember. The rest was perfect. I didn't beat the game, just complete the local, West, East and the qualifiers Perhaps its time to come back to the game.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2017, 02:34 PM »
A bit off topic but yes people do care about video game credits. Maybe less than 1% but that doesn't really matter. Heck mobygames website is entirely dedicated to researching names and what credits they appear in. I frequently view and research the credits to every game I play and I mean everything down to mahjong games because you can find some very surprising links and see how influence from devs past experience seeped into their previous and future projects. Just on a historical level it's interesting. You would be surprised how many times games are developed by companies not listed anywhere either than the credits, or something obscure like how Yakouchuu 2 had technical help from Hudson Soft. War Gods is often credited as being made by the same team as Mortal Kombat 4 despite none of the main designers being the same. Singers Etsuyo Ota and Toshihiro Tachibana seemed to have got their start in Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

The game designer of Fighters Destiny Masahiro Onoguchi was a motion designer for some other fighting games such as Tobal No.1, Fighting Vipers 2, and the original Tekken, with Genki previously porting Virtua Fighter 3 to Dreamcast. Hell Opus Corp and Anchor inc are companies only mentioned in the credits depite having many employees working on the game, and anchor corp was Onoguchis company. Both companies focused on wrestling games with smooth animation and that tech and game design are clearly shown in Fighters Destiny.

Fun fact, during the development of Milo's Astro Lanes, creative director George Weising reveled in the manual that he named his son Milo. Milo Weising is mentioned again in the credits for the 2009 PS3/PS4 game Flower, which George was a designer for. I know I'm not he only person who finds stuff like that interesting. So yeah I hope my passion for video game credits is clear. I've never met someone else who does it like I do but I'm sure there are others who do.

Anyways on a functional level sometimes getting past the credits is required to save progress or unlock something. Thankfully for Custom Robo that isn't the case because by the final tournament you have all the arenas and I believe all the parts unlocked anyway.

Oh, right, that was very interesting, thanks. It didn't occur to me that anyone would find them interesting, but if even a minority do then it's good that they are included in the game.

Plus I suppose that often it's the only time for programmers/artists/musicians to get their names publicly linked to their work, after all, you almost never see a person's name on a game box, or in the game other than in the credit's list (unless it's someone like Sid Meier, where it's used as a selling point). When you think about it, it does seem a little unfair that the people who make the games get so little public recognition, as aside from a few well known industry people (Peter Molyneux, Shigeru Miyamoto, John Carmac, Jon Romero, etc) most people who work on games are virtually unknown to the gaming public.  Even magazines tend to just refer to the game as being developed by Rare, or Nintendo, or Bungie, etc.

The exceptions tend to be indie games, of course, where one person, or even a small team make the game, and are free to both put their names prominently in the game, and to publicly discuss the game (which can often by forbidden in commercial games, as apparently it's not uncommon for the people who make a commercial game to be forced to sign an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement, meaning that if they talk to anyone publicly about the game, they can be sacked and sued).

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2017, 02:41 PM »
I didn't said anything because I thought that giving my opinion would be annoying...

Oh no, the people who take the time and trouble to make ports/translations/mods/etc are mostly very willing to hear feedback, whether it's bug related, offering suggestions, or even just to say thanks and how much you enjoyed it. There are some games or mods on various systems that I've sent many reports to the authors about, and they've always been received graciously and I hope they were helpful in a small way to making the end product better.

Plus this is a friendly forum anyway, so any related discourse is always welcome.

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2017, 03:12 PM »
Space Station Silicon Valley (Japanese version) is another one, the translation would be welcome.
Remembering that the American version had that problem with Expansion Pack, the game freezes in some point when the Expansion is inserted. :(
The PAL version of the game is 50 Hz and don't give signal in NTSC hardware, but a few weeks ago i realized that the Japanese version don't share the same problem.
So......... I think for NTSC users, the translation of the Jap version would be welcome.  To prevent the Expansion removal, every time you want to play this game.
In this case, for a game that already exists in other region, the translation process will be much more friendly, i think.  A simple copy / paste of the binary code.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 03, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Space Station Silicon Valley (Japanese version) is another one, the translation would be welcome.
Remembering that the American version had that problem with Expansion Pack, the game freezes in some point when the Expansion is inserted. :(
The PAL version of the game is 50 Hz and don't give signal in NTSC hardware, but a few weeks ago i realized that the Japanese version don't share the same problem.
So......... I think for NTSC users, the translation of the Jap version would be welcome.  To prevent the Expansion removal, every time you want to play this game.
In this case, for a game that already exists in other region, the translation process will be much more friendly, i think.  A simple copy / paste of the binary code.

I didn't know that the JAP version didn't have the expansion pak bug. That's very strange, and suggests the problem was done when the text was translated to English for the NTSC, which is a very stupid thing to have happened.

A translation of the JAP version is no doubt possible, but it would probably be simpler to fix the bug by altering the NTSC version's code to avoid the crash, but that would require a good knowledge of programming/disassembly on the N64, and the people with such skills are rare, sadly.

I did hear that a fixed NTSC version was released, but I never saw confirmation (as far as I can remember), and even Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Station_Silicon_Valley) doesn't mention the bug. Have you tried downloading the rom from various sites, as you might get lucky and find the fixed version, if it does exist?

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 03, 2017, 06:31 PM »

If you go to http://www.get-your-rom.com/search/space+station+silicon+valley/n64-nintendo then there are two fixed versions of the NTSC game rom, marked [f1] and [f2]. Try both of those, though I doubt either one is a commercially fixed version, but hackers did alter roms in the past, so hopefully someone will have fixed the expansion pak bug in the NTSC version.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2017, 05:16 PM »
I didn't know that the JAP version didn't have the expansion pak bug. That's very strange, and suggests the problem was done when the text was translated to English for the NTSC, which is a very stupid thing to have happened.
You mean the bug was fixed when the game was translated to Japanese for the Japanese NTSC version. It's a British game so it was probably developed in English.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2017, 06:22 PM »
You mean the bug was fixed when the game was translated to Japanese for the Japanese NTSC version. It's a British game so it was probably developed in English.

Yeah, you're probably right. It's just that I might have read somewhere (can't remember where, I'm getting old  :-\) that Nintendo's testers (the ones responsible for the 'Nintendo Seal of Quality*) were based in Japan and always tested the JAP version first, so it seems logical that the JAP one was the first 'final' version sent to Nintendo, and any changes made to that version (changes suggested by the testers) would be made to the PAL and NTSC versions too.

* The same testers who presumably said that both Superman 64, and Carmageddon 64 were fit to be released and to be awarded the Nintendo Seal of Quality  :o And of course they must have 'forgotten' to test the NTSC version of Space Station: Silicon Valley with an expansion pak attached.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:56 PM by Kerr Avon »