Author Topic: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated  (Read 88811 times)

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Japan N64 Titles requesting to be translated
« Reply #210 on: December 23, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Nice find. So I've been researching HVQ and i found a compressor in n64 devkit 5.0. However there is no decompressor/decoder, just sources files in C. Hows your C programming?

I could try asking NicoDE, he helped out with converting the Wii VC textures. What exactly do you need?
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 25, 2017, 09:32 PM »
Be able to decode HVQ textures/images. Essentially a decoder. Should be able to do it with those source files.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2017, 01:35 AM »
I had some time last night and this evening to look into it.  Shiren is a very interesting game.  It's almost like they had planned to translate it to English.  It already has a VWF for ALL of the characters, including Japanese.  I haven't found the spacing table yet, but I did find the character textures.  They start at 0x157B80 in the ROM.  They're pulled directly from the ROM to 0x801659A0 one at a time, and then placed into sentences at the 0x8023B280 area.  The current location within the textbox for the current letter is at 0x801A9F58 in the form of xxxxyyyy (e.g. 0007000C sets the location at 7 over and C down).  By the way, this all applies to the Intro text box, and should apply to the game text, but I haven't verified most of it.

F0CF = 0
F0D0 = 1
F0D8 = 9
F0D9 = A
F0F2 = Z
F0F3 = a
F0FF = m
F100 = m
F10D = z

Note that the lower case letters are slightly off since m is listed twice.  All of the letters are there, just someone screwed up and now there are a total of 27 instead of 26 lower case characters.  Caps are OK, just 26 characters.

By the way, the storage location for the hex for characters that will be displayed can be found in this function: 8005ECA8.  There are a ton of SB's from 8005EDE4 down within that function.  If you put stops at all of those, it will stop on one of them, and you'll see the storage location of a character (and thus the rest of the text box characters).  It seems to be 8003Dxxx for the in-game text, and 801613E0 for the intro text boxes.

I did find a variable that adds a little extra space to each letter.  This could be used to tighten up the font a little if needed.

It seems like most of the image textures are encoded using Yay0.  You can use GEDecompress to extract these.  If you need a way to compress them again, let me know.  I think I have a program or two that does that.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2017, 05:52 PM »
Thanks OZ! I made a tool for yay0 so good there. Also I have extracted the textures and decompressed. Are there any other control codes for the text? You mentioned 0A was newline, any others? If we can get those I can fully extract the text

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2017, 07:38 PM »
Let me know if you are able to find the font dimensions in texture explorer. Can't seem to get it right. I'd like to extract the font to see how everything is setup including the japanese

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2017, 08:13 PM »
I think 23 is something, but I'm not sure.  I haven't found space yet either.  I think it is the texture at 15d102.

The textures are 8 bpp I believe and 8 wide.  It's possibly that they are 4 bpp and 16 wide, but I'm pretty sure they're 8 bpp.  There is a 2 byte gap between each one.  Those two bytes are non-zero, but I'm not sure what they do.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2017, 08:57 PM »
yeah 16 wide and 4bpp. we need to make a table now

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2018, 05:58 AM »
So the VWF looks really nice with ENglish. I messed around with the menu. However really reallllllly need single byte ASCII enabled. It appears the Hiragana is already single byte but the Katatana and ASCII are two byte. ASCII starts with F0,  Kata starts with F1 and then the Kanji starts with F2. Interesting ... How difficult would it be to convert ASCII to single byte? The single byte Hiragana Alphabet starts at 0x80 so we have some room to play with i think.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 06:00 AM by binkers87 »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2018, 05:26 AM »
Not too difficult I hope.  I'll take a look at it when I get a chance.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 15, 2018, 04:36 AM »
ASCII hack for Shiren.  The zip includes a patch for the game and a text files with the ascii table since not all characters were able to be mapped. For example, Shiren doesn't have a single < or >.  Also note that periods and exclamation marks seem to already have a space built into them.  I didn't do much testing beyond making sure it worked, so let me know if I missed anything.

EDIT: I should say that if you want to use this hack with PJ64, you'll need to modify one file slightly.  In the PJ64 folder is a folder called Config.  In there is a file called "Project64.rdb".  Edit this file and do a search for Shiren.  You'll see about 7 lines of text around it.  Copy and paste those to create a 2nd entry in this database.  Now, open your Shiren ROM with the above patch applied.  Highlight and copy bytes 10-18.  Back to the database entry, find the text in the square brackets.  Paste the ROM data over the first two words in the square brackets and replace the space between them with a dash ("-").  Save the file.  Now the above hack should work in Project64.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:13 PM by ozidual »

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2018, 06:49 AM »
I had some time last night and this evening to look into it.  Shiren is a very interesting game.  It's almost like they had planned to translate it to English.  It already has a VWF for ALL of the characters, including Japanese.

I know this post is a month old, but I'd just like to say that Shiren was never planned for English. After beating the game there is a series of new and secret dungeons, the very last one you can access is 99 floors long and leads to a secret demon Hawaiian resort, where all the demons speak English. This is a gag I suppose, but i just thought I'd tell you why all the English letters are there. I have now fully completed the game, and can provide a simple walkthrough or an everdrive save file if somebody needs it. I really don't know Japanese though so i can't help directly.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2018, 05:40 PM »
I know this post is a month old, but I'd just like to say that Shiren was never planned for English. After beating the game there is a series of new and secret dungeons, the very last one you can access is 99 floors long and leads to a secret demon Hawaiian resort, where all the demons speak English. This is a gag I suppose, but i just thought I'd tell you why all the English letters are there. I have now fully completed the game, and can provide a simple walkthrough or an everdrive save file if somebody needs it. I really don't know Japanese though so i can't help directly.

That's awesome!  Thanks for the info Shellshocker18!  How was the game? 

It's interesting that they went to all the trouble to create a VWF and add English to the game just for a payoff right at the end.  Though I suppose it's easier to add that all in C, then compile it.  Still, that's the type of dedication that can make some pretty good games.  Ohh... makes sense - they're the developers for the Dragon Quest series too. 

I'm always interested in save files :)  If the game needs more hacking, it can be helpful to jump to certain parts.

Offline Shellshocker18

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2018, 10:26 PM »
Oh it's an absolute masterclass of a game. Along with Sin & Punishment it is of the highest quality of Japanese exclusives, and over in Japan it did much better than S&P. It deserves to be translated, and if you investigate, the original Super Famicom Shiren 1 has ready been translated.

You're right it was developed by Chunsoft, creators of the first 5 Dragon Quest games (which lead to the first Mystery Dungeon in September 1993, Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon, Torneko Taloon being a popular Dragon Quest 4 character).

Chunsoft also had help from several programmers and art assistants from Nintendo and even credits give special thanks to Hudson Soft and Creatures the Pokemon company. Nintendo put a large amount of personal faith in Shiren because it was the only large N64 RPG that wasnt cancelled at the time, i believe they even handled the publishing.

In December 1999, before the game had any footage, it was one of Japan's most anticipated games according to Famitsu, at number 14, it was only 2 below Mother 3 and 4 below Zelda Gaiden (Majora’s Mask), making it extremely anticipated. It was so heavily promoted it received a television commercial and advertisements on buses,  and sold a reported 283,991 copies by the end of 2001 making it the 2nd highest selling Japanese exclusive N64 game developed primarily by a 3rd party (just behind Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6).

It's a really old school roguelike. It is great for fans of straightforward and challenging rpgs, where almost every step/move is strategic. The fun is in the risk/reward thrill of harder dungeons and the therapeutic repetition of slashing monsters, uncovering maps, and managing resources. This type of game is very niche nowadays because of the high difficulty and reliance on making the most of random drops, plus the repetitiveness of the combat. Still it's an all time classic in Japan

Unfortunately it's insanely long to see everything in the game and it's extremely unfriendly for English players due to having hundreds of weapons, spell scrolls, food items, descriptions etc. I had to heavily cheat using gameshark codes to finish the game within any reasonable timeframe, which I recommend you do Ozidual (I've been playing off and on since October).

It has 2 files save on Cartridge (SRAM) but extra files can be saved on Controller Pak for 40 pages each, so you need use this to create extra files if you need to. Right now I'm trying to finish the petting zoo which is unlocked by beating the in story. You have to catch the game’s 162 monster types which each get a description and zoo exhibit, i want to finish that so they can be easily translated. I'll definitely walk you through the order of events and where to go in the game if you ever need my help, because pretty much all I can do is help you understand the game better. There are also plenty of walkthroughs on niconico which were helpful to me.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2018, 06:01 AM »
I'm a huge DQ fan, especially 4 and 5.  I beat the SNES translation of 5 just a few years ago, and it was hands down the best game I'd played in years.  Right now I'm pushing through 6 and while it has some neat mechanics, it's nowhere near as good.  I didn't realize why until now.  It makes me doubly excited to play Shiren once it's translated! 

I probably won't have much to do with the translation beyond the ASCII table, so I'll be waiting on the sidelines with everyone else :)  I try to collect save games just in case I do need to step in further down the line on any game translations.

I picked up Torneko no Daibōken: Fushigi no Dungeon (Taloon was my favorite Chapter of DQ4) not too long ago in the hopes of playing its translation hack some day.  Now I may have to start playing that as soon as I finish SC64 :)  I played some roguelike games as a kid, got into some but not others.  We'll see how it goes.

If Shiren gets held up (binkers87 has lots of projects), I may take you up on the offer.

Offline Sellers64

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2018, 09:21 PM »
Japan released N64 games I want to see translated are:

Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh
Custom Robo V2
Dezaemon 3D - 64DD
Fushigi no Dungeon - Fuurai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai! Shiren Jou!
Jikkyou G1 Stable
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 6
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Robot Ponkottsu 64 - Nanatsu no Umi no Caramel
Super Robot Taisen 64
Sim City 64 - 64DD

Does somebody know the progress of the ongoing and not-ongoing translations of these games? I really appreciate the finished translation of Custom Robo!