Author Topic: wily wars saving issues  (Read 6511 times)

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
wily wars saving issues
« on: October 11, 2016, 03:28 AM »
I have tried multiple ROM of both JP and EU versions of Wily Wars and couldn't get it to save on my Mega Everdrive X7. I have tried resetting and turning save key and cheats off (I have a US/JP region switch on my model 1 HDG Genesis) with no success. When I try to save, the data is lost when I reset with the menu off. When I reset with the menu on, no save data is created with backup on. The occurs with both the EEPROM and SRAM ROMs. How do I get the MMWW saves working? They work fine for other games.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: wily wars saving issues
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Wily Wars uses a EEPROM to save for the (EU) version. There is a patch that changes it to SRAM that the v2/X7 recognizes. It should be available at romhacking.net. However I could'nt get the patched (J) version of Rockman Megaworld to work, even patched it won't recognize it. (Maybe because the (J) version is already SRAM, and I patched it with the fix...probably messed it up) I do know the (EU) version does save when patched with the fix.

BTW, I'm using the v2 with OS ver 3.00

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 04:27 PM »
Wily Wars uses a EEPROM to save for the (EU) version. There is a patch that changes it to SRAM that the v2/X7 recognizes. It should be available at romhacking.net. However I could'nt get the patched (J) version of Rockman Megaworld to work, even patched it won't recognize it. (Maybe because the (J) version is already SRAM, and I patched it with the fix...probably messed it up) I do know the (EU) version does save when patched with the fix.

BTW, I'm using the v2 with OS ver 3.00

As I said before, I used the SRAM EU patched version from romhacking.net (I used the Europe No Intro ROM and even checked the checksum) and couldn't get it to save. I even tried the pre-patched one from the smokemonster set and couldn't get it to save.

I have been testing each ROM by beating the Bomb Man stage in Mega Man 1, saving afterwards, and then resetting. When I turn off the option to return to menu after reset, the game doesn't show Bomb Man being beaten in slot one. When I have the menu option on, and reset after saving, Bomb Man doesn't show up as beaten either (when I do the same in emulator, Bomb Man shows up as beaten). I did this with multiple ROMs, and it was the same deal. I'm on OS 3.02.

Other saves work fine. Even Wonder Boy in Monster World saves.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 06:00 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Still no word on this even though I sent a PM to Krikzz over a month ago. I was hoping to hear more on this issue.

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Mine works fine. Don't remember what I did, it worked first time a few years ago when I did it. Just fiddle around to get it to work.
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 10:57 PM »
Mine works fine. Don't remember what I did, it worked first time a few years ago when I did it. Just fiddle around to get it to work.

I tried editing the header and pretty much every ROM and still couldn't get it to work. A few years ago is a long time and there have been many updates since then (I just got mine a couple months ago). I wouldn't be asking if I didn't try everything. From other posts, it's clear I'm not the only one having this issue, and I want to know how to get the saves in Wily Wars working. So far, I have just been told to do what I have already been doing and it's not working.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 03:04 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 06:17 AM »
Also, wasn't the Mega Everdrive V2/X7 released only a year ago? Telling from other posts, the problem seems specific to the V2/X7 and I doubt that V2/X7 was used to play it a few years ago. Krikzz, do you have any information on why Wily Wars isn't saving on V2/X7 and what could be done to fix this?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:54 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Adrian Gauna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 01:03 PM »
I've been having the same issue and I can assure you that the actual single cart of Mega Man The Wily Wars doesn't save either so it's not a Mega EverDrive issue but rather an issue with the actual game itself. Maybe that's why Krikkz hasn't commented?

It seems that Mega Man The Wily Wars has no battery back-up save feature implanted in it (at least on real hardware).

No big loss for me, I never really liked this game much to begin with, it's far too difficult and the fact that you have to sit and finish it in one whole sitting is extremely annoying.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 08:30 PM »
I've been having the same issue and I can assure you that the actual single cart of Mega Man The Wily Wars doesn't save either so it's not a Mega EverDrive issue but rather an issue with the actual game itself. Maybe that's why Krikkz hasn't commented?

It seems that Mega Man The Wily Wars has no battery back-up save feature implanted in it (at least on real hardware).

No big loss for me, I never really liked this game much to begin with, it's far too difficult and the fact that you have to sit and finish it in one whole sitting is extremely annoying.

Rockman Megaworld/Wily Wars has a save battery, it is well documented. Some repros of the game don't have a save battery. There is a working ROM of Wily Wars that saves (though the hack from Romhacking.net didn't save for me). It is also known that EU version uses EEPROM save and there are 2 JP versions, one with EEPROM and one with SRAM. SRAM saving should work as is, but the SRAM version doesn't save.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:33 PM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14 PM »
Have the same issue with Mega ED X7 v2. I've tried all the different rom versions in Smoke's compilation (JP unpatched, EUR unpatched, JP EN translated, SRAM-patched, etc) and none of them hold a save.

Maybe we're doing it wrong?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46 PM »
I've had this issue with my Mega ED v2 as well.  I've tried lots of different ROM variants to no avail.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 11:50 AM »
Please check if game will work with this OS build: http://krikzz.com/pub/ex/MEGA.BIN
SRAM version of game required

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Yes, that works with the SRAM-patched European version in SmokeMonster's ROM set.  I noticed it disables the in-game menu, though.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07 PM »
I noticed it disables the in-game menu, though.
Probably you mixed MEGA.RBF from some old OS with new MEBA.BIN file

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 02:02 AM »
Cool to see a fix in the works for MMWW :D