Author Topic: Does the Super Everdrive handle all PAL and JP roms that do not require extra HW  (Read 3716 times)

Offline KFrench

• View Profile
I am looking to get this to compliment my US SNES collection. I am not looking to play any of the games that require the C4 chip or the DSP-1 chip. Does the Super Everdrive handle all JP and PAL roms?

Side question: Is stoneagegamer a reputable site? They sell the US-looking version which is the one I want in my collection.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:23 AM by KFrench »

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
The Super Everdrive is Region Free. It can play ROMs from any region. Some games have regional protection on them (like Super Metroid) that prevent PAL games from running on NTSC systems and vice versa. You can patch these roms to bypass the region lock.

StoneageGamer is a reputable reseller for Everdrive. But they will nickle and dime you for every possible cent when you buy from them. You want a cartridge for the pcb? Pay extra. You want stickers on the cart? Gotta pay up, front and back stickers are separate charges. You want screws for the cart to hold it together? That's extra too. It's ridiculous. And then they make you pay sales tax to Indiana or something. They end up costing WAY more than both krikzz.com and retrogate.com for everything they sell.

You could probably buy from either the krikzz or retrogate sites and get a replacement SNES cart for less than what those guys want for their stuff at stoneage.

Offline ApolloBoy

• View Profile
ersa. You can patch these roms to bypass the region lock.
StoneageGamer is a reputable reseller for Everdrive. But they will nickle and dime you for every possible cent when you buy from them. You want a cartridge for the pcb? Pay extra. You want stickers on the cart? Gotta pay up, front and back stickers are separate charges. You want screws for the cart to hold it together? That's extra too. It's ridiculous. And then they make you pay sales tax to Indiana or something. They end up costing WAY more than both krikzz.com and retrogate.com for everything they sell.
Uhhh that's only if you want anything other than the standard cart shell and labels. A regular shell, regular label and plain black screws don't cost extra. Aside from the Black Friday sale that's going on now, SAG's Everdrives are about the same price as what you'd get at the Krikzz store.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
Uhhh that's only if you want anything other than the standard cart shell and labels. A regular shell, regular label and plain black screws don't cost extra. Aside from the Black Friday sale that's going on now, SAG's Everdrives are about the same price as what you'd get at the Krikzz store.

This post is also 6 weeks old. Since then it looks like SAG has streamlined their configurations to not have additional charges for basic stickers or screws. When this was posted the cartridge was an additional charge and they wanted $5 just for the front sticker (the rear was another additional charge), and $.50 for plain black screws.

It was a total crapshoot, so it looks like they addressed their BS pricing scheme. They have always come to be $15-$25 more expensive than ordering from krikzz or retrogate. The only real value prop they have over the other stores is that they are US based and will get your flashdrive shipped to you sooner, if you're in the US.

Even now, they don't want to match the discount offered by either of these other stores. AND you still have to pay sales tax when you buy from them. Which, for e-commerce, means I will spend my dollars elsewhere.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:27 AM by thecavalry »

Offline KFrench

• View Profile
Thank you for the replies! I finally got around to checking this again and appreciate the input. I will be checking out all the sellers you mentioned.