Author Topic: So Krikkz, how about that ROM autoboot functionality?  (Read 4952 times)

Offline rimmyjustles

• View Profile
So Krikkz, how about that ROM autoboot functionality?
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:43 PM »
I'm aware of the start button being a shortcut, but hear me out.

The Flow would simply be something like:

Put Game in NES/Famicom -> Turn Console On -> See "OS Init..." message -> Game automatically boots up (thus circumventing file browser visibility)

This could be influenced simply with a switch in a .ini file or if the desired autoboot rom is simply named "autoboot.nes"

You might think people will complain if they accidentally activate autoboot when they don't want it, but the latter method (renaming to autoboot) is something I highly doubt an end user would do by accident.  With that method you would have to purposefully activate the autoboot feature in theory.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
Re: So Krikkz, how about that ROM autoboot functionality?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 06:06 AM »
Just press start once it loads? If you want to play the previously loaded ROM just press start. I know you say you're aware of it, but why does it need to go beyond that?

The whole point of the everdrive for me is being able to have a whole library to choose from, not just one single game. I wouldn't want auto-booting.

Offline rimmyjustles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:30 PM »
Just press start once it loads? If you want to play the previously loaded ROM just press start. I know you say you're aware of it, but why does it need to go beyond that?

The whole point of the everdrive for me is being able to have a whole library to choose from, not just one single game. I wouldn't want auto-booting.

I know you don't want it, but I do, so why not?

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40 PM »
There's limited space on FPGAs for functionality. I have no idea how much space autobooting would take up, but it would necessarily mean something else wouldn't fit, either in the future or currently.

Offline rimmyjustles

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:04 PM »
There's limited space on FPGAs for functionality. I have no idea how much space autobooting would take up, but it would necessarily mean something else wouldn't fit, either in the future or currently.

What?  Couldn't you just add a conditional that says if whatever is equal to whatever, boot to game, otherwise boot menu?  Why would you need a whole extra chip?  I'm sure there's a subroutine in there to run a game that's chosen based on user input.  If a game has a certain name (such as autorun), then immediately execute a game the same way it is done when a game is chosen by user input.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27 PM »
How much time would you save not pressing start?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 06:37 AM »
How much time would you save not pressing start?

To impress people that you have a rare game maybe? I dunno. All I'd want it for is to just auto boot possibly an RPG that's already flashed to memory that I've been playing. Pressing start can be so cumbersome.../sarcasm.

Just throwing it out, but possibly a trigger (for example, no SD card inserted) that tells the N8 to automatically boot the last flashed game? And another trigger (when the SD card is reinserted) the N8 will go to normal function?...just a thought. I'm not a programmer or anything.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:52 AM »
Can't load anything on the everdrive without the sd card inserted. All the menus/software/functions are in the OS files on the card. I don't see what is gained by an autoboot. There's not even an in game hook or anything to bring you back to the menu once it is turned on. It just isn't made to do that currently.

Also, I don't know that any everdrive has that function.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:55 AM by thecavalry »

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:57 AM »

Everdrive GB sends the game to flash memory and will boot the current game on cart when there is no SD card in the cart. There are some disadvantages to this since it can take awhile for larger games to be written to the cart and flash memory has a write limit (100,000 writes, which can take over 29 years to reach).

Offline Polioliolio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I posted a similar request on the NintendoAge forum.

I'd be perfectly happy with an unofficial patch, too, but an actual feature in a firmware update would be better I suppose.

What I'd like is for a random game from within the ROM folder, to immediately boot, upon power to the system.

I think playing a random game from my personal collection, is a great way to make use of the everdrive, and for people who still enjoy using their own carts.

I'd really like this to happen.  :D

Offline rimmyjustles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:31 PM »

Everdrive GB sends the game to flash memory and will boot the current game on cart when there is no SD card in the cart. There are some disadvantages to this since it can take awhile for larger games to be written to the cart and flash memory has a write limit (100,000 writes, which can take over 29 years to reach).

That sounds like a cool feature.  I would want something like that in the N8, or just a simple check for a filename or something.  Please Krikkz.