Author Topic: How do game saves work on the ED64?  (Read 12101 times)

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
How do game saves work on the ED64?
« on: October 18, 2016, 06:18 PM »
I'm very interested in N64 flash carts all of a sudden but I am very curious as to how the actual game saves system(s) work here?

I am looking for a non-battery-backup solution. I would like to be able to save my games to the memory card (or some other stable flash memory) and not have to ever worry about a battery killing it later on from my own foolishness. Can the ED64 do this?

addendum: I also see there is an option to add-in an N64 controllerpak
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 06:22 PM by sysopgrace »

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
Re: How do game saves work on the ED64?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:08 PM »
Basically, unless the ROM is patched to change it, the games behave how they normally would. If they saved to memory paks, they still will. If they saved to internal memory, they will still save to internal memory.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:39 PM »
It may not need to be said, but just in case.  Files that are saved to the internal memory are not dependent on the flash cart's battery.

You can also make a backup of an N64 Memory Pak from the controller to the flash cart.  It takes almost no time at all and can be done from the options menu.

The Everdrive 64 is a solution that gets around all battery backup.  The 2.5 version requires pressing Reset after playing a game and saving to move the save to the SD card otherwise the save is lost.  The 3.0 version does not require this.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00 PM »
Without an Everdrive 64 (i.e. just an N64) game saves are saved either to the original N64 cartridge itself, or on the controller pak (the gamesave memory pak that fits into the joyapd itself), depending on the game itself. Games like Goldeneye, Super Mario 64, and Ocarina of Time save to their own cartridges, whereas games like Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, The World is Not Enough, and Rocker: Robot on Wheels, need a controller pak to save to.

With the Everdrive 64, the games that should save to their cartridge instead save to the SD card (the same card that contains all of the game roms), and you can, if you like, insert the SD card into your PC or Mac, to backup or restore the save files. However the save game is not written to the SD card until you press reset on the N64, so if you turn off the N64 without first pressing reset then you'll lose the save game.

So when you play a game like Super Mario 64 (i.e. a game that saves to it's own cartridge), what you do is, turn on the N64 with the Everdrive 64 in, load the game from the menu, play the game as usual, the game will save as normal* at the usual save points (save as often as you like over the playing time, only the final save counts) and when you've finished the game, DON'T turn off the N64, instead RESET it. Even if you don't want to play on the N64 any more and you're going to turn it off, first make sure you press RESET, as only when the N64 resets does it save the game save to the SD card.

* In actual fact, when a game (that's running on an N64 with an Everdrive) thinks it's saving to it's cartridge, then it's actually saving to RAM (memory) on the ED64, and the data from the RAM is only really written to the SD card when RESET is pressed on the console itself.

As for games that save to the controller pak, even with the Everdrive 64, games that save to the controller pak still need a controller pak to save to, as those saves aren't re-routed to the ED64's SD card. Those games just save and load to the controller pak as usual (and you don't need to press reset when you've finished playing these games, but it's good to get into the habit of pressing RESET after every game, so that way you never forget to do so for the games that need it).

And as Ozidual says, even though games that only save to the controller pak still can only save to the controller pak, using the ED64 (Everdrive 64) you can backup and restore the controller pak to the SD card, so you can then store the gamesaves on your PC or Mac.

The above applies to the versions 2.0, and 2.5 of the Everdrive 64. I don't have a version 3.0 (I have a v2.0, which is fantastic, and the v2.5 is no different to the v2.0 except it has a slightly re-designed motherboard, there's no difference in use) and I'm not 100% sure when the v3.0 saves to the real SD card, so I can't advise there.

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Thanks a lot! This has convinced it is the right thing and I will have to get one now.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:35 PM »
Thanks a lot! This has convinced it is the right thing and I will have to get one now.

You won't regret it, it's not just the convenience of having every game on one cartridge (or rather, every game on one SD card, inside one cartridge), but you also get to play the things you couldn't play before, such as game hacks, unreleased games and betas, homebrew, the translated games, the 64DD games, and the Aleck64 games.

Just look through the forums for ideas and links, and look through this thread:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5289.0