Author Topic: Saves on Mega Everdrive X5 vs X7?  (Read 8397 times)

Offline duffman808

• View Profile
Saves on Mega Everdrive X5 vs X7?
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:28 AM »
So the X7 is the only cart to support save states but at the bottom of this image I see the X5 supports saves without reset?

Can I get some clarification on what this means? I was under the impression the X7 cart was the only cart that would allow me to save progress on games, does the X5 support saves as well and what's the difference then? How is it done on both carts? Thanks

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Re: Saves on Mega Everdrive X5 vs X7?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56 AM »
"Saves without reset" means you don't need to reset your console and get back to the Everdrive menu. Your save is written in the internal RAM when powering off. Without "Saves without reset", you need to reset the game to the Everdrive menu so your saved game can be written to RAM. If you don't, your save will be lost.

Offline duffman808

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:22 AM »
Ok so the X5 supports saving then?

What is the difference between the X7 and X5 as far as saves?

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:31 AM »
Save states and game saves are two seperate things.

Save states are stored "snapshots" if you will that you, the user, create. These are commonly used in emulators. Example - You are about to fight a boss, or cross a section of a level that is tricky and you may die. So you create a save state right at the moment before entering. You die part-way through and reload your save state to go back to the exact second that you created it.

Game saves are literally what the actual cartridge games did. They use a save system that the game stores on its own or updates whenever you save your game normally in game. x5 only supports these. x7 supports both types.

Offline duffman808

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:03 AM »

Save states are stored "snapshots" if you will that you, the user, create. These are commonly used in emulators. Example - You are about to fight a boss, or cross a section of a level that is tricky and you may die. So you create a save state right at the moment before entering. You die part-way through and reload your save state to go back to the exact second that you created it.

Game saves are literally what the actual cartridge games did. They use a save system that the game stores on its own or updates whenever you save your game normally in game. x5 only supports these. x7 supports both types.
Much more understandable Thanks! It sounds like I need to go with the X7 then

Offline GMaverick2k

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 12:04 AM »

I'm confused. I'm interested in the X3. I want to play and save my game in Buck Rogers countdown to doomsday, which allows for save and load adventure feature. How will it allow saving. Do I have to manually press the reset button on the megadrive? Confusing

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 07:23 AM »

I'm confused. I'm interested in the X3. I want to play and save my game in Buck Rogers countdown to doomsday, which allows for save and load adventure feature. How will it allow saving. Do I have to manually press the reset button on the megadrive? Confusing

In the case of the x3 the game will perform it's save function as normal in game. But to actually store the save to the everdrive memory (so you can load it later) you would have to press the reset button to go back to the everdrive start screen before turning off your genesis.

Offline GMaverick2k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 11:00 PM »

In the case of the x3 the game will perform it's save function as normal in game. But to actually store the save to the everdrive memory (so you can load it later) you would have to press the reset button to go back to the everdrive start screen before turning off your genesis.
Thanks