Author Topic: Help! Problem AC japan+stepdown and AC Original Pal  (Read 4598 times)

Offline Metro City

• View Profile
Help! Problem AC japan+stepdown and AC Original Pal
« on: October 19, 2016, 03:42 PM »
My Super Famicom is Jap and i use power european 220v.
But i have both AC Original, japanese with stepdown 110-220v and european snes pal, the problem is:
when I use the original cartridges, I can use both power supplies, if I use the sd2snes with AC Pal don't work I have a black screen however if i use AC Jap+Stepdown work.
The sd2snes requires more energy? It should not work with both power supplies?

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
Re: Help! Problem AC japan+stepdown and AC Original Pal
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:32 PM »
The Japanese SFC runs on DC whereas the PAL SNES runs on AC 9V and has an integrated rectifier circuit.

The SFC can barely run on AC because there are protection diodes inside (otherwise you would have killed it by connecting the PAL AC-AC converter) but it only gets power during half of the AC waves. That is not enough to provide power to the system and the voltage will drop critically once per cycle (i.e. 50Hz assuming you live in PAL territory).

The sd2snes is a greater load to the system compared to an original (ROM/SRAM) cartridge so it will make the voltage drop enough for the SFC to stop working. You may experience the same when playing a SuperFX game. Even with an original cartridge there may be horizontal stripes running though the picture or a humming noise in the sound.

Offline ELahrairah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 04:43 PM »
To add to this topic I use a super famicom and I bought a universal pal adapter at this place . Works great with sd2snes. They ship fast to Europe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391394261728?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Yes, 9V 1A is sufficient :) Personally I run my SFC's on a universal power supply too and haven't had any problems so far. Power supply quality seems to vary greatly though.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:15 PM »
To add to this topic I use a super famicom and I bought a universal pal adapter at this place . Works great with sd2snes. They ship fast to Europe: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391394261728?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I see this question asked all over the internet, glad this is a quick and relatively inexpensive fix for powering on a SFC in Europe.  :D
Yes, 9V 1A is sufficient :) Personally I run my SFC's on a universal power supply too and haven't had any problems so far. Power supply quality seems to vary greatly though.
I've just heard to stay clear of the 3-in-1 power supplies that you see all over Amazon and eBay.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:17 PM by OneBagTravel »
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline Nobody09

• Programmer and tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 10:25 PM »
I've used the 3-in-one adapter before and I ended up having to replace the fuse in one of my SNES consoles back in 2007 though I have the official power supply now so yeah I would stay clear of it.
Flashcarts I own: EZ Flash Ω, Everdrive MD v3, Everdrive 64 X7, SD2SNES Rev. F, R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn)

Consoles I own:
Sega Genesis Model 1 x2, Sega 32X, PS1, PS2 Slim x2 (SCPH-75001 and SCPH-77001), NES, SNES x2, Nintendo 64, Wii, GBA, DS Lite, DSi XL

Others: PSP (Brick), Dreamcast (Disc error)

Offline Metro City

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Ok Thanks, ac pal not enough energy to sd2snes and therefore I have to keep using ac original with step down,
So, I read that the megadrive 1 AC is great for the Super Famicom :D

Offline Credit 00

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 05:09 AM »
I see this is a reasonably old topic, though since I use an SFC I thought I'd comment on my findings. I bought the SFC in Osaka with no PSU thinking that the PAL snes psu would work. It kind of works with original carts though I could tell there was a problem. After going through all my psu's I found the PAL Master System psu has the correct polarity and is DC 9V 1A, this works perfectly fine, it's the sega 3025-03 you'll find at http://segaretro.org/AC_adaptor

Offline koma

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 01:03 PM »
Hello Credit 00,

Thank you for sharing this.
It turns out the behavior I get with my SD2SNES on a Super Famicom is the same as yours (discussing here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6065.0).

Regarding my issue, like I said, I don't have a Super Famicom power supply anymore but I do have a Master System one. I'll check if it's a 3025-03.