Author Topic: Does goomba/GBA Everdrive run GBC games as accurately as Everdrive-GB?  (Read 14867 times)

Offline Estil

• View Profile
So the GBA Everdrive can run GBC games using the Goomba emulator (with SGB border also)...but is it just as accurate as if you play GBC games on a GB-Everdrive?

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
So the GBA Everdrive can run GBC games using the Goomba emulator (with SGB border also)...but is it just as accurate as if you play GBC games on a GB-Everdrive?

no because goomba is a emu and EDGB is pure hardware

Offline Estil

• View Profile
I'm asking because I was hoping I could do GBC and GG games on my Game Boy Player using the GBA Everdrive, and use the Everdrive-GB in my Super Game Boy to do GB/SGB ones.  I was hoping I could avoid having to switch out the cartridges in and out of the Game Boy Player to do GBC games if I don't really have to. 

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Some games are buggy in Goomba.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
Goomba is everything but not precise. Same for all other emulators available on that cart

Offline Estil

• View Profile
Goomba is everything but not precise. Same for all other emulators available on that cart

Well I just figured since a Game Boy Advance (SP/Player) is hardware backwards compatabile with GB/GBC game cartridges, I thought maybe Goomba was a little "better" emulator.  As for those other emulators, the NES one looks AWFUL...the games look all vertically squashed and unlike the Game Gear one, it's not windowed so the picture is not distorted.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile

Well I just figured since a Game Boy Advance (SP/Player) is hardware backwards compatabile with GB/GBC game cartridges, I thought maybe Goomba was a little "better" emulator.  As for those other emulators, the NES one looks AWFUL...the games look all vertically squashed and unlike the Game Gear one, it's not windowed so the picture is not distorted.

being "vertically squashed" is all thanks to the pixel rez of the gba screen

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
home console emulators on the GBA will always look squashed since the GBA has a lower vertical resolution. It has to drop lnes from the image, by dafault it tries to drop only single lines within, but that will look weird usually. But I do recall that there was an "unscaled" mode that would follow the players sprite and scroll the image vertically if needed.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog

It's true that sound ist very accurate thx to that in that case, but real hw is the thing to use if you want precision

Offline Galron

• View Profile
I tried Lufia for GBC for example and graphics are glitched in the intro on the world map.

This is no big deal to me, as I have Gameyob working on a DS flashcart, and its a bit more compatible. But someday I'd like to have a good hardware flashcard fro the GBC. If there is ever a RTC solution version.

Offline Estil

• View Profile
So it looks like I will have to do GBC games on the GB-Everdrive if I want to ensure complete accuracy.

Offline Mad Hatter

• View Profile
I played a few titles using Goomba on my EZ Flash IV and I thought it was pretty accurate. I didn't notice any difference between the original and the Goomba version. I didn't get any squashed screens when playing on my GBA-SP. The only reason I don't play on it is because I have save issues.

As I recall, GB/GBC are the easiest to emulate.

I think you should just go that route instead of having to have another flash cart to switch around, imho. That's what I plan to do. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 09:49 AM by Mad Hatter »
Mega EverDrive x7, EverDrive-GB X7, SD2SNES Original, EZ Flash IV, R4i-SDHC

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile
I didn't get any squashed screens when playing on my GBA-SP.

thats because the GB/GBC is not a home console and its screen and image output is smaller than that of the GBA. squashed screens will happen with SMS and NES

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Some games simply don't work or load in goomba, or are glitched (weird sound, missing or garbled graphics)... And this is using no-intro roms. Maybe the most basic games mainstream Nintendo and popular games work fine, but there are definitely some RPGs and last generation Gameboy color games that Goomba just can't handle.

If you have Gameyob or Lameboy on DS Card there is a much higher level of compatibility (I have to switch between those two for some games, since one will handle a game, and the other won't). But that won't fix his problem, as he wants to display these games on his tv. Alternatively there is always the hacked Wii or other older console method, and just use one of the emulators designed for those systems, I've found relatively good compatibility on those options.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:36 PM by Galron »

Offline sevo

• View Profile
Are there any major GB/GBC games (e.g. top 100 titles) that are either unplayable or broken with Goomba Color?