Author Topic: Original Japanese Famicom (UK Mega Drive 1 PSU Question) to use with the N8 ED  (Read 2210 times)

Offline krisk77

• View Profile
I hear that a UK 240V MD 1 PSU is fine to use with this console, as it's output is 10V - 1.2A (Polarity Center Pin Negative) but since the ED carts draw more power than usual carts, I want to know if anyone else uses this setup for their JP Famicom and experiences no issues with graphical glitches and so forth?  I know this occurs with the SNES, if you use a 3RD Party PSU with them. 

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:26 PM by krisk77 »

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm use my M1 Genesis adapter with majority of my consoles. It works fine with my Fami and my NES and the N8 with no problems.

Offline GadgetUK

• View Profile
It works fine but one thing I would point out - the Megadrive PSU outputs more than say 9v, often around 13 to 14v.  That means the 7805 has to disipate a lot more heat.  It's better to use a 9v PSU (one that outputs 9v not 12, 13 or 14v).  But it will work - just means the 7805 gets hotter and the ambient temperature inside the famicom will be higher.   On my PC Engine and Famicom I've purchased cheap switching PSUs that output exactly 9v and they run a lot cooler.   It's not quite as risky in the Famicom as the 7805 is a distance away from the logic board but on the PC Engine the 7805 is mounted near the 6270 and the board temperature increases a lot because the 7805 location.   The 7805 will also live longer with a lower voltage - just based on the size of the heat sink on the famicom.