Author Topic: What is custom stereo Dac on mega everdrive x7?  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Crimsonseraph188

• View Profile
What is custom stereo Dac on mega everdrive x7?
« on: October 24, 2016, 09:12 PM »
As the title suggests, im confused about what custom stereo dac is since it is only included in the x7, vs the x5 and x3. Thanks!

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
Re: What is custom stereo Dac on mega everdrive x7?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:50 PM »
Currently I think this feature is disabled in the latest OS revision. Krikzz may have to weigh in on that. Anyways, DAC is digital-to-a converter. It's on there because some model 2 motherboards have really bad sound handling compared to other board revisions.

From the mega everdrive manual:

Sound File Playback
The Mega EverDrive currently allows 8-bit 22Khz Stereo WAV file playback. The
(C) button allows user to switch between the internal Genesis DAC or Mega
EverDrive's internal stereo DAC.
Mega EverDrive's internal stereo DAC sounds terrible on Genesis Model 2 with
motherboard revision VA0-VA1.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Currently I think this feature is disabled in the latest OS revision. Krikzz may have to weigh in on that. Anyways, DAC is digital-to-a converter. It's on there because some model 2 motherboards have really bad sound handling compared to other board revisions.

From the mega everdrive manual:

Sound File Playback
The Mega EverDrive currently allows 8-bit 22Khz Stereo WAV file playback. The
(C) button allows user to switch between the internal Genesis DAC or Mega
EverDrive's internal stereo DAC.
Mega EverDrive's internal stereo DAC sounds terrible on Genesis Model 2 with
motherboard revision VA0-VA1.
so what as been disabled? changing dac with C not work for me. So now it use console dac to play wav? or cart one?

Offline Amerika

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 09:29 AM »
I was not aware that this was a feature of the x7.  I own one and I also specifically got my hands on a model 1 "High Definition Graphics" Genesis to make sure that I had good sound.  But I do have a model 2 that would go better with my model 2 Sega CD and fit my shelving a lot easier if that DAC fixes the sound issues in those models.

So yeah, I would definitely like to know more about that feature, how it's enabled and if it's currently working or at least has a toggle in the latest OS release.

Thanks!!
NES Everdrive N8, SD2SNES, Mega EverDrive x7, Turbo EverDrive, NeoSD, EverDrive-GBA x5, Ultra EverDrive64 v3

Offline Ali-Pacha

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55 PM »
Just did some digging, but I didn't find any answers to some questions about this feature :
- which DAC is included within the Mega ED X7 ? Some Burr Brown / Texas Instrument / Cirrus Logic /Sabre "mainstream stuff" or something else ?
- what's exactly the function allowing streaming through the Megadrive audio circuitry ? Looks like there are dedicated pins on the cartridge slot (and those pins are disconnected on the Sega Nomad, seen a thread about this), but I don't fully understand why Sega did this...
- ...because obviously, no game did benefit from this feature back in the days. RAM-size issue ?
- and last but not least, why is it limited to 8-bit - 22 khz stereo ? Looks like it isn't a full "pass-thru" feature, but something that deals with some chips limitation within the Meagdrive. And it doesn't look like it has something to do with the YM2612, the DAC within is mono but can go up to 26 khz...

Last question : I've some "clicks" from time to time when playing a song through this feature (8 bit - 22 khz, directly ripped from CDs)...any idea where it comes from ?

I know it's only a proof of concept, but whenever Krikzz is around, I'd be glad to know more about this stuff :)

Ali

Offline DhinCardoso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33 PM »
My Megadrive really sounds bad, I would love to know that if I can use the X7 to solve this or have I to mod it with MegaAmp or such =/

@KRIKzz ! Help us!