Author Topic: Save issue  (Read 3303 times)

Offline sp200k

• View Profile
Save issue
« on: March 02, 2019, 07:45 PM »
Hi all,

I have an issue I hope you guys can help me with. I purchased my GBA Everdrive more than a year ago and finished two games with no issues. I then started the Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and put in like over 20 hours. Everything was working fine, game saving and loading etc. Then I haven't used my GBA for over one year, and now the game has issues saving.

The game has 3 save slots, two separate slots that can be selected from the main menu, and an additional slot reserved for in-battle saves (hope this makes sense)

I can load all 3 saves, however I can't save. Every time I try to save I get the 'save failed' error. I tested another game and it seems to save properly. So not sure what is happening over here.

I reformatted the card, updated the OS, bootloader. Same result. Not sure if not use=ing the console for such a long time affected this somehow?

Hope someone can suggest a solution. Thank you for your help.

Offline mofoofinvention

• View Profile
Re: Save issue
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 08:01 PM »
possibly the battery needs to be replaced?

Offline sp200k

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 08:08 PM »
possibly the battery needs to be replaced?

I was under the impression the Everdrive will notify if the battery has dried up? I haven't received any messages about the battery. Also I tested other 2 games which seem to have no issues saving :(

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:24 AM »
Replace the battery

Offline sp200k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 01:26 AM »
Replace the battery

Thank you - I will try that. Is there a recommended brand I can buy from Amazon or any generic ones will do?

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 01:34 AM »
Replace the battery

Thank you - I will try that. Is there a recommended brand I can buy from Amazon or any generic ones will do?

Any of the regular brands

Offline sp200k

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I replaced the battery today and started the game but it seems the game does not see the saves anymore, and the only option is to start a new game. I checked the SD card and I can see the .fla save file. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Offline MasterBuller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05 PM »
from another thread but same issue: the function of the battery is to keep working the RTC and save data (saves are also allocated on SAVE and EMUSAVE folder), as FeverDrive said on an old post: "Sometimes when a battery is "dry" it doesn't mean it has 0 Volts, just that its voltage is below some threshold so the behavior when removing it could not be the same as when it's dry." For example, when I got that message some time ago, I just have to perfom the Pokémon E/R/S to Boktai RTC trick and the message didn't show up anymore. BUT, if you happen to receive that message and swap batteries or just let the old battery there, be sure to go to SAVE or EMUSAVE folder, select the save file and choose the option "Copy SRAM to file" for all your saves you consider important, if you run the game first chances are that the game will overwrite your old save and you will lose your progress (happened with Pokémon Emerald).

Offline Sodaman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 09:37 AM »
from another thread but same issue: the function of the battery is to keep working the RTC and save data (saves are also allocated on SAVE and EMUSAVE folder), as FeverDrive said on an old post: "Sometimes when a battery is "dry" it doesn't mean it has 0 Volts, just that its voltage is below some threshold so the behavior when removing it could not be the same as when it's dry." For example, when I got that message some time ago, I just have to perfom the Pokémon E/R/S to Boktai RTC trick and the message didn't show up anymore. BUT, if you happen to receive that message and swap batteries or just let the old battery there, be sure to go to SAVE or EMUSAVE folder, select the save file and choose the option "Copy SRAM to file" for all your saves you consider important, if you run the game first chances are that the game will overwrite your old save and you will lose your progress (happened with Pokémon Emerald).

I'm confused. I was under the impression that even if the battery died then the save file would be okay but RTC stuff for say, Pokémon Emerald wouldn't work. Does starting the game with a dead battery after turning off the system cause the save file to disappear?

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 10:03 PM »
Have you loaded any other ROMs since you started experiencing this issue?  If not (hopefully) then immediately do a backup of your SAVE folder on the SD card and return the SD Card to your ED.

Once it's back in, navigate to the SAVES folder, select the save file you're missing and choose to copy from card to SRAM.  Does this fix the issue?

The EverDrive does keep a copy of all saves on the SD Card, however when you replaced the battery you would have erased the battery-backed SRAM and since FF was loaded into SRAM/Flash as your last-played game, it's still loading from the SRAM and not the SD Card.  If by chance you switched ROMs at any point after replacing the battery, then I'm afraid your ED may have copied the now-blank SRAM data to the SD Card.