Author Topic: GBA and DS linked games  (Read 11796 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: GBA and DS linked games
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 02:13 AM »
Not a single Mention of the M3 Perfect. It could do some things but for Pokemon you need the real card and cart.

For games that only need to detect the gba game to unlock things on DS game, the M3 could boot in nds mode from slot 2, load the gba game into ram then launch the DS game from sd card dma.

I mentioned M3 Perfect just a few posts above yours.. a few years ago!

Posted by: Galron
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Insert Quote

I've read many of the ez flash  cards can arrive DOA but apparently it's not hard to change the battery. I've found plenty of sites that have the lite model.

Anpparently another flash card that has NOR was m3 perfect but that is near impossible to find.

Adding NOR might be a handy feature to have in X7 model if Krikzz ever starts thinking of new feature to add. I could only dream for support for rumble, solar feature and game link abilities for DS including Pokémon games..

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Sorry, I've missed your post but the M3 Perfect doenst have NOR.

M3 Perfect uses ram to load the games.

Yeah, it was near impossible to obtain this device, enjoyed a lot of Pokemon Emerald time events with it.

Trying to connect it with the game cube erases the save file though, even with this a real cart is needed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 08:08 AM by Marteicos »

Offline Localhorst86

• View Profile

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 02:52 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-in-1-Expansion-Pack-for-EZ-Flash-V-Cartridge-GBA-DS-New-in-Box/293101191618?hash=item443e3141c2:g:5y4AAOSwxjRc2vPD&frcectupt=true

Seems 3 in 1 has popped back onto ebay if anyone is interested.

Again don't expect the battery to work, you'll have to replace it. Ezflash doesn't have easy to replace batteries, you have desolder a clip I think, and then add a new battery in, and tape/solder it back in place. But it is one of the only options to have NOR out there that works for most of the linking games.

I ordered one of these myself.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 08:03 PM »

Isn't ram volatile? As in is erased after the system is shut down? Assuming the battery isn't keeping it 'alive'.

BTW, the daughter card 3in1 is working well with my Dstwo Plus, and adding many of the extra features I had hoped for (ability to link most of the linkable games) together for the free unlocks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:45 PM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 08:25 PM »
https://gbatemp.net/threads/pokepatch-3-in1-platinum.141663/

This is interesting.. Apparently if you are running EZV itself, it uses its own pokepatch kernels, which patches the GBA roms to allow the 'transfer'. I don't know if they ever added support for Platinum though. Not that I'm likely to really use the Ezflash V unless I find a 2gb micro-sd any time soon (it doesn't like sd cards over 2 gb apparently)…

M3 Real?
https://www.shop01media.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1396
Hmm...

NDS-GBA Linkage works fine

Sorry, I've missed your post but the M3 Perfect doenst have NOR.

Yeah, it was near impossible to obtain this device, enjoyed a lot of Pokemon Emerald time events with it.

Trying to connect it with the game cube erases the save file though, even with this a real cart is needed.

Out of needing more explanation what is difference between NOR and Ram? In the official usage?

I've seen quite a few articles call "NOR" Ram, or "NOR RAM"... What little I can find "NAND" which is another form of non-volatile memory is EEPROM, or erasable read only memory...

Where as NOR is said to function much like "RAM" (Random Access Memory)… Thus might be volatile assuming the 'battery' isn't there to keep the data in the NOR.

But both NAND and NOR are used as forms of Flash memory...

I need more clarification and explanation from anyone who might know, and explain the differences between NOR and M3's use of Ram/expansion card?

The 3 in 1 also has expansion "Ram" for the sake of use in Nintendo Opera Browser, or for other programs. But I don't know how that interacts with the NOR, etc.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:44 PM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2019, 01:30 AM »
I have no idea what M3 Perfect is using, but NAND memory and NOR memory are two types of flash memories, and thus non-volatile (but very slow to write to). NAND is short for NOT-AND logic gates and NOR is NOT-OR logic gates which they are built by. You can build any logic using only NAND or only NOR gates because the right combination of NAND or NOR can make any type of logic gate (using the same type of gate for the whole circuit can make it cheaper).

RAM is volatile unless you connect a battery to it. But for uploading games you don't need volatile memory unless you need to power cycle (M3 Perfect does not support any kind of direct boot as far as I remember). The M3 Perfect kept the save in battery-backed RAM though, and copied it to SD card the next time you started the OS. My battery ran out and I lost my save. The stock batteries are of poor quality rechargeable type, and I guess the RTC is what kills them.

EPROM is Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory, game developers used cartridges with EPROMs to test games when developing for older systems. To erase them you need to expose the little window on the chip to UV-light. You cook them in a UV-eraser for several minutes, so each erase and write cycle takes time.

EEPROM is Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory, it can be erased by the program in-circuit so the erase and write cycle is much faster. Playstation memory cards, N64 games and GBA games among other things often uses EEPROM for the save and thus don't need a battery.

My friends got M3 Real and I remember I was jealous because Download Play worked fine on it but not on my M3 Perfect. I have no idea if NDS-GBA Linkage means it can link to rom images and save files though. Also the M3 team stopped long before DSTWO stopped so I think compatibility with games may be worse. I think they stopped releasing updates while new DS games was still being released.
The RAM cartridge is needed to play GBA games and for the Opera browser since both use a slot-2 cartridge that needs to be executed from. I don't think that means it necessarily has NOR though. Isn't the EZ daughter card doing the same thing except without GBA support? RAM and rumble are separate cartridges on the M3 Real though.

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2019, 04:22 AM »
Iirc M3 Perfect uses Psram, it's fast enough to not lag in any game. It supports sdhc but only for multimedia. For game boy Advance games only non sdhc card formatted on Windows xp (a VM works) works.

The ez flash 3 in 1 is non volatile, for games that only need to be detected this is the best solution.

For Pokemon games only the original carts will work, the slot one game (Pokemon diamond/pearl/platinum/hg/ss) checks the save on it's flash directly, the game on ez flash is patched to use sram.

My m3 perfect is a mini sd model that have the same size of a stock game cart, Even with a dead battery I could backup the save after a session, although I power cycle fast to allow it to backup.

I installed a new battery some time ago and the battery is not rechargeable, the rtc use very little power.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2019, 06:53 AM »
Isn't the EZ daughter card doing the same thing except without GBA support?

IF there are different daughter cards made by EZ? I don't know...
The 3-in-1 has ram, so it can handle Opera Browser (and also be used for a few indie/homebrew/ports stuff too). It can also hold a single GBA games in NOR, or load them directly using Psram. Larger games have to be loaded into NOR. It also has rumble built in.

http://www.ezflash.cn/product/ez-flash-3-in-1/

It sounds like its pretty good thing I found one though, since it works well with the SD2SNES on a DS Lite.

Still somewhat curious about how the M3 Real's features and whatever that GBA-DS Link, but I'm guessing it functions in a similar fashion to the way M3 Perfect was able to do it?

It's really too bad though that Krikkz didn't figure out a way to get GBA-DS linking to work on his flashcart though...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24 AM »
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-possible-to-trade-pokemon-from-ezflash-iv-to-legit-cartridge-gba.436509/

Interesting discussion here, not so much for the incorrect information about pokemon transfers people inside the thread offered... But general hint that maybe EZ Flash IV's Nor might also be able to hold a game, and be used for 'GBA-DS game linking' as well....

The guy in this video also talks abou the NOR, and that it can hold a game even when the SD card is removed. He doesn't talk about game connectivity with a DS, but maybe that's promising? For anyone looking for other possibly cheaper alternatives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw6BXJx_3Qk

I've heard Reform, and Omega also have NOR as well, but from what I understand  they don't work with game linking at all. In particular because the system loads up a menu... But then again no one tested it with the SD card removed... Maybe if it doesn't have an SD card to load firmware/menu from, maybe it'll default to the NOR instead?

Anyone want to test that?

As a side note, a few pages I read ove rmentioned that linking from rom of a GBA Pokemon game, to a legit copy of a Pokemon cartridge (assuming you have two GBA to link the two copies to), you can transfer pokemon from rom version over to the legit copy. At which point you would be able to use your legit copy to transfer Pokemon to the DS or Gamecube linked games... If this is the case you would really only need to own the last generation of the GBA games to 'hold' your pokemon for you so you can transfer them over to gamecube, or DS. OR at least. A at least one copy of whatever game is compatible with each generation.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:38 AM by Galron »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Trades always worked fine between flashcart and original cart, the pokemon gen IV from slot 2 trabsfer fails because the game in slot 1 access directly the save chip on slot 2, expecting to find a flash or eprom.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 11:15 PM »
Yes linking two systems where both games are running is no problem. As long as the flashcart runs the game correctly there is nothing that can go wrong. Only problem might be the Super Game Boy 2 linking because it seems to work a bit different.

My m3 perfect is a mini sd model that have the same size of a stock game cart, Even with a dead battery I could backup the save after a session, although I power cycle fast to allow it to backup.

I installed a new battery some time ago and the battery is not rechargeable, the rtc use very little power.
Mine is a micro SD model with the DS Lite dust cover sized case. It also came with several colored cases and one white GBA case you could swap with so that it would work in a GBA and DS fat. It did use an auto-recharging battery, but it was low quality and it didn't work as it should and ran dry.