Author Topic: Thinking of buying a SD2SNES. Have a couple of questions.  (Read 4135 times)

Offline Catastrophic

• View Profile
Thinking of buying a SD2SNES. Have a couple of questions.
« on: November 14, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Hello. I have owned an Everdrive 64 for quite some time now and I really like it. I've been willing to get a flashcard for SNES for a while now and it seems SD2SNES is the best choice. There are a few things I'd like to know first, though.

First, I have a PAL SNES that I have not modded for 60hz yet. I should be able to mod it fine but on the description page for SD2SNES it mentions something about being able to switch between 50hz and 60hz. What does that mean, exactly? Also, does a modded PAL SNES work just as well in 60hz as an NTSC one?

Second, the SD2SNES seems to support a variety of expansion chips but I don't see a simple game compatibility list. Is there one?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 01:55 PM by Catastrophic »

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
Re: Thinking of buying a SD2SNES. Have a couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 06:45 PM »
1) Yes it has a built in switch between PAL and NTSC. It does this automatically. From sd2snes.de "Auto region patching: eliminates “This Game Pak is not designed…” messages regardless of 50/60Hz setting"
2) https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

The main games you won't be able to play are SuperFX and SA-1 games. A small compromise to be able to play 99% of the catalog.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:48 PM by OneBagTravel »
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline Catastrophic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 07:36 PM »
1) Yes it has a built in switch between PAL and NTSC. It does this automatically. From sd2snes.de "Auto region patching: eliminates “This Game Pak is not designed…” messages regardless of 50/60Hz setting"
2) https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility

The main games you won't be able to play are SuperFX and SA-1 games. A small compromise to be able to play 99% of the catalog.

Thanks for the reply and for that list. I think I'll place an order.  8)

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply and for that list. I think I'll place an order.  8)
You won't be let down. This is one of those flash carts that "just works".
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

borti4938

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 03:50 PM »
1) Yes it has a built in switch between PAL and NTSC. It does this automatically.
Not the full story. You have to have a SuperCIC installed in your SNES and you have to enable the pairmode then. Otherwise it won't work at all!

Offline Catastrophic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 05:13 PM »
1) Yes it has a built in switch between PAL and NTSC. It does this automatically.
Not the full story. You have to have a SuperCIC installed in your SNES and you have to enable the pairmode then. Otherwise it won't work at all!

I just looked up info about the SuperCIC and it looks great. Didn't know about this mod. Do you know where you can buy a pre-programmed IC?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 01:51 PM »
The Auto Region Patching is unrelated though. It's just an on-the-fly-patch to disable the region protection screen that a few games have. And it can be turned off in the menu if you want to see these screens.