Author Topic: I'm not able to get cheats to work on SD2SNES  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Magical-Django

• View Profile
I'm not able to get cheats to work on SD2SNES
« on: November 19, 2016, 11:39 PM »
I recently purchased an SD2SNES an it's great to have all of my games in one place. However I'm having trouble getting cheats to work on it. I've viewed other topics discussing the same thing, specifically this one: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3944.0, however I'm still not able to get any of them to work.

I am currently using firmware v0.1.7d, and I do have a folder named cheats in my SN2SNES foler. I am downloading the codes from gamehacking.org in the sd2snes .yml format. The codes I am downloading are specifically game genie ones and not raw.
The file name for the codes and the rom match perfectly, and I do have in game hooks set to on.

I am still unable to get them to work. It seems like I might be missing something important but I cannot think of it. If anyone could offer me some tips or maybe let me know what I am doing wrong I would greatly appreciate it.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Re: I'm not able to get cheats to work on SD2SNES
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Hmm.. make sure that the region of the ROM matches the region of the cheats?
Also the hooks don't work with certain games (exemple: Super EDF), are you sure the hooks are working for the game you want cheats for? (if you can go back to main menu with L+R+Sel+X, hooks are working)
Which game is it?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 10:29 AM by TheShadowRunner »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:04 PM »
Can you upload the resulting yml file somewhere?

Offline Magical-Django

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:36 AM »
I've tried it with a few games. So far I haven't been able to get it to work on Primal Rage, Street Fighter 2, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, and Doom.

As far as making sure the region of the ROM and cheats match, I believe I'm playing the NTSC English version of the game, but the cheats don't specify which region they work for. Since they're game genie codes I thought they would work for all versions though.

In game hooks are definitely working on the games I've tried. I'm able to return to the SD2SNES main menu with L+R+Sel+X.

This is the .yml file I'm using for Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=40825368495973782033
It's from gamehacking.org and I selected the download cheats option.

EDIT: I may have figured out why they aren't working for me. After downloading the codes from the website, I looked through the text and realized that the codes weren't enabled in the script. They were automatically set to false for some reason and I just needed to change the values to true to make them work. I didn't think to look at the .yml file before I tried it out.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:52 AM by Magical-Django »

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Yes, that would be the reason :) Sorry the cheat feature isn't straightforward on the sd2snes at the moment. I am working on the cheat menu for v0.1.8 which will make it more intuitive.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 05:03 PM »
I've tried it with a few games. So far I haven't been able to get it to work on Primal Rage, Street Fighter 2, Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, and Doom.
Doom is unsupported anyway.
I am working on the cheat menu for v0.1.8
awesome!  8)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 01:13 AM »
Yes, that would be the reason :) Sorry the cheat feature isn't straightforward on the sd2snes at the moment. I am working on the cheat menu for v0.1.8 which will make it more intuitive.
thanks! can you add save state too please?