Author Topic: Testing F-Zero / Black Lines on Transparency Effects?  (Read 4381 times)

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
Testing F-Zero / Black Lines on Transparency Effects?
« on: November 18, 2016, 03:22 AM »
I was hoping someone could test the SD2SNES out on a CRT while running F-Zero. I'm getting these weird black lines during running through those recharge strips and underneath the F-Zero machines. There could be a number of reasons for this...

1) Those black lines have always been there, or they are there NOW using an LCD TV.

2) It could be my plasma tv. They seem to be more prominent on that tv vs. my LCD.

3) It could be my original and/or my mini SNES. Both are getting old and maybe they are starting to exhibit odd behavior. For the record I am using OEM power supply and cables for both and my SNESes are not clones.

4) I don't have an F-Zero original cartridge to test.

So yeah, if someone could quickly run F-Zero and just run under the power strip on Mute City and let me know if its an SD2SNES or LCD issue or is it on my end.

Offline GreatFunky

• View Profile
Re: Testing F-Zero / Black Lines on Transparency Effects?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Just tested on my crt and i noticed nothing special , the game run fine .. maybe a lcd tv problem !?

aloram

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:25 PM »
I play all my systems on a CRT, and I've never noticed anything unusual while playing F-Zero on my SD2SNES.

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Yeah I kinda figured it wasn't the SD2SNES. The lines are more prominent on my plasma vs. my lcd using the same console. It also could be my AV hookup (using a scart to component box hooked up to a bandridge scart switcher) Come to think of it, my cables are not all that great either. They have this odd warping on top of the screen whenever the screen is solid white (happens on White Land I & II) Thanks for checking.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Yeah I kinda figured it wasn't the SD2SNES. The lines are more prominent on my plasma vs. my lcd using the same console. It also could be my AV hookup (using a scart to component box hooked up to a bandridge scart switcher) Come to think of it, my cables are not all that great either. They have this odd warping on top of the screen whenever the screen is solid white (happens on White Land I & II) Thanks for checking.

Your best bet is doing comparisons with Higan, as it is an accurate emulator it might give you an idea of how it "should look". As far as isolating the issue to the SDSnes or the console, you will really have to get a real cartridge. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Otherwise share with us a screenshot or a video to see what you mean and I will compare with my setup:

I have 4 different snes revisions, OEM PSU and cables, as well as HDretrovision's RGB-to-Component cables, and a sony LED TV.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 02:39 AM »
Just so you can rule out possibilities, is your power brick an original or an aftermarket.

Offline hunterk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2016, 05:44 PM »
This could be a result of your TV's attempts to deinterlace the "240p" signal, which is more accurately described as 480i non-interlaced. That is, it's still a 480i-compliant signal and many TVs will detect that and try to deinterlace it, which could easily cause issues with flicker effects like that.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 04:19 PM »
Yeah, sounds like your TV might have a problem rendering 240p which is causing some issues. Reference this page

http://www.hdretrovision.com/240p/
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.