Author Topic: Just got out of the hospital, 2 questions  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Marklikewhoa

• View Profile
Just got out of the hospital, 2 questions
« on: November 18, 2016, 09:17 PM »
Is there a button combination to Exit the current game back to the main menu?  I am playing on a RetroUSB AVS system, so I am able to exit back to their main menu, but then when I Start the Cart back up it just hangs on the OS Int... Screen and never loads the file system back up. 

Yes, its very lazy of me to not just walk and push reset, however I was just in the hospital with a back problem... So getting up and down easily isn't an option. 

Second

Is there a way to play Final Fantasy VII Nes Remake?  Im very new to Everdrive and reading through the forums at times can be like trying to translate another language. 

Thanks for all your help!

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
Re: Just got out of the hospital, 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 09:34 PM »
I suggest deleting the EDFC directory and putting it back on. I had to do that a few times to get OS 15 working without hanging. I also have AVS and going to menu and restarting works for me, though it took a while to get the OS working properly beforehand.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 01:11 AM »
What brianvgplayer posted is the solution.

Rename the EDFC folder to something else (old-edfc or something)
Add a 20-30MB file to your SD cart root to clear up fragmentation.
Place new EDFC folder with new OS in root directory.
Delete the extra file and renamed folder.

Offline Marklikewhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 02:03 AM »
Thank you guys so much!  this helped with the resetting bug I was having...

Any Ideas for getting Final Fantasy VII Remake running... I know there is some crazy magic to get a game of that size on an NES cart.  So is that something that is possible?

Offline Jive3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 05:02 AM »
Thank you guys so much!  this helped with the resetting bug I was having...

Any Ideas for getting Final Fantasy VII Remake running... I know there is some crazy magic to get a game of that size on an NES cart.  So is that something that is possible?

To my understanding the NES FFVII game does not work on Everdrive b/c it uses some mappers that the Everdrive does not (yet) support. I'm hoping that someday it can be supported, but who knows.

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:16 AM »
I checked the header for FF7. It has a huge 2048k PRG ROM. As far as I know, that is too big for the Everdrive N8.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 08:35 AM »
I checked the header for FF7. It has a huge 2048k PRG ROM. As far as I know, that is too big for the Everdrive N8.

Correct. The Everdrive N8 is 8Mbit (1MB with 512KB PRG+512 CHR+128KB SRAM). It is too small to support the 2MB ROM for FF7.

You're gonna have to buy an actual cart to play that one, as well as Pokemon Yellow, Legend of Link, Megaman 4 - Minus Infinity, Mario Allstars, and all other games/hacks with rom sizes too large.

Offline Marklikewhoa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2016, 12:21 AM »
Thanks so much everyone! You've been so helpful!  I truly appreciate your help! I was able to get everything worked out... and got myself a copy of FF Vii coming in the mail...

While I have you guys here, what are your favorite tips, tricks, and tweaks for the N8 that maybe aren't as known or you feel make it a better experience.