Author Topic: Doshin the Giant 1  (Read 13629 times)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
Doshin the Giant 1
« on: November 19, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Doshin the Giant Translation Patch
  Created by ozidual

Current Status: Translating, some enhancement hacking left

[Disclaimer] None of my patches have been created for sale including this one, and I would appreciate if they were not made available for sale.  I release patches as soon as they are complete and tested.  They are freely available instantly and always.  Money does not come into any part of the process.

-----------------------
   Current News
-----------------------

2018 - 06 Cart hack fixed so the game is now fully playable on N64 flash carts (Japanese, still no English patch)

2017 - 03 Translator Found!

2017 - 03 Pre-Translation Patch Released

The Patch Still Needs A Translator
The patch is ready for a translation
If you are interested or you know someone who is interested, please either PM me or email me: ozidual (at symbol) yahoo (dot) com

--------------------
   Downloads
--------------------

Below Cart Hack Fix + English Menus (apply to cart v1.1)
here

Cart Hack Fix (Cart hack normally stops working after a few in-game days - this fixes that issue)
here No longer needed, available pre-patched on LuigiBlood's site

Patch AND Full Text in need of translation:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qzmidnwi8ljsifs/Translation_-_Textures%2C_Text%2C_and_Patch.zip

Doshin the Giant GameCube Manual (English) [Warning: It's High Quality so it's a large download]
http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2a29bp9djbzb1c/Doshin_GC_Manual_English.zip

Text in need of translation:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/1zffjqxumtmp2dv/Translation_-_Textures_and_Text.zip

Doshin the Giant (Cart version) Clean patch1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/mrhitvivzl3ljb8/NUD-DKDJ-JPNclean.zip

Doshin the Giant Debug - Read the text document first:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b5go11bbac3ys31/DoshinDebugV0.zip

1Note: This patch just removes all saved game data from the Cart version.  There is already a clean version of the Disk version.

------------------------------------------
   Debug Menu Controller Code
------------------------------------------
(Press and hold below buttons holding A last while highlighting Start Game on the Main Menu)

R + Left C + Right C + Z + A*

* TYCONF.SU option 15 WILL CRASH PJ64 and an ED64v2.5 or below. All other flash carts and the 64DD itself function just fine with option 15. 

It works fine on the actual 64DD hardware, and even allows you to change Doshin's size with the left/right on the Dpad.  On the ED64 v2.5, it crashes the game during the intro and corrupts the SD card so that any game you load after that will be corrupted.  I had to use SD Formatter to reformat the card before it would work again.  Other options seem just fine.  I've played a couple days with day set to 48, Land overlay, Monyu A Time at 50, Monyu B Time at 50, 2nd Kyojin + on, and 3rd Kyojin + on.

It only works on new games, so you must either use a clean ROM or delete your save game.  The code has been tested on the cart version using an ED64 v2.5, v3.0 and 64drive, and on the disk version in PJ64 and on the 64DD using the actual disk.  Further instructions are available in the Debug v0 download include a patch that turns it on without the controller code.

---------
   Log
---------

2018 06 15 - Cart hack fix released to allow users to complete the game on a flash cart
2017 03 22 - Translator found!
2017 03 15 - Pre-Translation Patch Released
2017 02 18 - Debug Menu Controller Code Discovered
2017 02 17 - Night Comments expanded to allow for more characters
2017 01 08 - VWF code finished
2017 12 25 - Debug Menu patch released
2017 12 16 - Sodoru NA icon table found
2017 12 10 - First dump of text and textures to be translated
2017 12 08 - Clean patch released for the Cart version
2017 11 19 - Start of work on Doshin the Giant Translation

For other patches I've worked on, see:
Aroenai's Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask patches
Ozidual's Zelda Ocarina of Time patches
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:55 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive64 3.0, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Doshin the Giant 1
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Fantastic! I can't help, sorry (I know no Japanese), but it will be great to have this translated.

Thanks to the hard work of people like you, it hopefully won't be too long before every N64 game is playable in English. Except for Superman 64, that's unplayable in any language  :o

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:30 AM »
OK, lets make this easier. 

Are you learning Japanese? Are you a pro, but just don't have time to translate even a portion of a game?  No matter what your skill is or how much time you have, these are for you: No Strings Attached Translations.

I'll post these regularly. If you send me your translations I'll make sure to mention you in my credits (probably not in game, but on websites and a file included with the patch).  If you want to be mentioned, please include a username that you go by in the email somewhere.  If you don't want to be mentioned, just say so.  If you just want to translate one of these, that's good enough too.

We'll start with these three one-liners:

Subject: NSAT#1

ヒカリ ニ ツツマレテル ミタイタ゛
オシイ キョシ゛ン ヲ ナクシマシタ
ホ゛ク コノ ヒト タ゛イスキサ!

Context: The humans make one-liner comments about Doshin the Giant as he sleeps.

Please PM me your translation, or if you are not a forum member feel free to email me: ozidual (at symbol) yahoo (dot) com.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 05:25 AM by ozidual »

Offline blecky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Note sure if it's relevant, but there is an EU port of the game for Gamecube. I wonder how much of the translated text from that is usable?

Edit: Just looking at the Gamecube ISO. You can extract it out with gcit. In the extracted folders there is a textures directory, under there is all the text in tpl image formats. You can use wimgt to extract the text images out - http://szs.wiimm.de/wimgt/

wimgt.exe DECODE [image].tpl

If you want ozidual, I can extract them all out for you if you think this is useful. If I can find the Japanese ISO I can also create a comparison directory structure for the Japanese VS English text as well.

Edit2: Here's all the end of day villager text:

http://imgur.com/a/L8Mja

I also found a rough translation guide - http://www.ign.com/faqs/2007/kyojin-no-doshin-1-walkthrough-translation-faqguide-773664
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:10 PM by blecky »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 07:26 PM »
You are correct. That's actually how I have some of the translated text.  There is at least 1/3 of the game text that either did not make it to the Gamecube or was changed for the Gamecube version.  To further complicate things they re-wrote sections of the text that they did use.

I have the Japanese Gamecube disc to match up with the EU disc, and I'm going character by character comparing the Japanese Gamecube text with the 64DD text.  If it matches at least 99%, then I use the English text that matches the Japanese Gamecube text.  If not, I try to find ways to compare and contrast it.  Oh, and there is some text that made it 64DD to Gamecube-J, but not to Gamecube-E.  One bonus is that it will be easier to translate to the other languages on the Gamecube EU disc.  I should finish with text comparisons in December, but as you can see there will still be portions left to translate. 

I have seen the rough translation guide, but I'm trying not to use it.  I am not a translator and I know there are many things that can be missed in converting translated text.  That said, if I cannot find someone to help with translations I may go that route.  It will be difficult since I cannot match his text with the Japanese text since he translated it as he played the game rather than the way the text is stored.  Best case scenario, I'd find someone to re-translate the whole game since it seems like there is a lot of text that was dumbed down for English speakers.  I'd settle for help translating the remaining text though.

That is the end of day villager text - note it's in 5 files.  The Japanese version stores all 5 in one large image file which has all of the comments mashed together anywhere they will fit.  I tried matching the two, but a comment from English file 1 can be right next to a comment from English file 2, etc etc.  That is the text I have listed for the No Strings Attached Translation.  I tried a popular translator program out there and it made some "interesting" translations which don't match anything :)

There is also some hacking to do.  I would like VWF if I can figure it out - at least for the Monument List, possibly for the human comments.  It seems like there may be some problems with saving, but I need to research further.  There are also some problems with RTC if you have an Everdrive 2.0/2.5 (as I do).  EDIT: I should say I am not going to break the RTC, just change how it handles errors if the RTC gives a time earlier than the save time.

Thank you for your research blecky - I welcome any other research like this.  If there are things I am missing, please let me know!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 07:50 PM by ozidual »

Offline blecky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 01:07 PM »
Cool, I thought you might have already looked down that path and found issues (I've only played the GC version, but would still love to see the N64 version translated) :). At the very least documenting the tools/advice/procedure might spark someone to do a translation/hack of another game.

I do have a Japanese friend who is a TESOL teacher who should be able to translate a bunch of text for you (I'd rather not bother them with multiple smaller requests as they are a bit busy).

Once you do get the text you need translated together I will pass it onto them. If you want to just group up the texture files, rather than transcribing them I can pass them along like that if it makes it easier for you.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 01:14 PM by blecky »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 05:41 PM »
Doshin 64 seems like it has a lot of potential.  In it's current form though, it's just frustrating for someone new to the game.  No matter what happens I want to make the experience as fun as possible.

Thanks!  Once I figure out all of the text I'll probably post a zip file on here with a mixture of textures and text.  Even if your friend could put a couple of hours into it, that would be great!

This week has been a little slow for hacking due to the holidays and next week I have some work to do on Zelda 64, but hopefully I'll get something posted by mid-December.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 08:32 PM »
Doshin 64 seems like it has a lot of potential.  In it's current form though, it's just frustrating for someone new to the game.  No matter what happens I want to make the experience as fun as possible.

That's how I feel about SimCity 64. I'll never know why Nintendo didn't release the best Japanese-only games (be they cartridge or 64DD based) in NTSC and PAL format. I mean, the games were finished and released, so 99% of the work was done, anyway, so why not translate them, make any other minor changes necessary, and release them for the rest of the world to enjoy.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 08:46 PM »

That's how I feel about SimCity 64. I'll never know why Nintendo didn't release the best Japanese-only games (be they cartridge or 64DD based) in NTSC and PAL format. I mean, the games were finished and released, so 99% of the work was done, anyway, so why not translate them, make any other minor changes necessary, and release them for the rest of the world to enjoy.
In SimCity 64s case it's easy: The 64DD was released very late and didn't sell even in Japan, they couldn't affoard to release it in other countries as well. In most cases it's because the games weren't expected to sell enough to cover the costs to publish it in other countries. No matter how great the games were, it's the very unfortunate truth.

Are you learning Japanese? Are you a pro, but just don't have time to translate even a portion of a game?  No matter what your skill is or how much time you have, these are for you: No Strings Attached Translations.

I'll post these regularly. If you send me your translations I'll make sure to mention you in my credits (probably not in game, but on websites and a file included with the patch).  If you want to be mentioned, please include a username that you go by in the email somewhere.  If you don't want to be mentioned, just say so.  If you just want to translate one of these, that's good enough too.

We'll start with these three one-liners:

Subject: NSAT#1

ヒカリ ニ ツツマレテル ミタイタ゛
オシイ キョシ゛ン ヲ ナクシマシタ
ホ゛ク コノ ヒト タ゛イスキサ!

Context: The humans make one-liner comments about Doshin the Giant as he sleeps.
I'm trying to learn Japanese but I'm not that good yet. I'm rewriting it so it becomes more readable:
ヒカリ ニ ツツマレテル ミタイダ
オシイ キョジン ヲ ナクシマシタ
ボク コノ ヒト ダイスキサ!

"It seems like it's covered in light"
"The precious giant was lost"
"I love this person!"

I translated オシイ キョジン to precious giant but oshii may mean many things including: close (as when almost hitting a target), dissapointing, precious, too good for or deserving better. Is it a common phrase in the game? I may need more context.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 09:26 PM »

In SimCity 64s case it's easy: The 64DD was released very late and didn't sell even in Japan, they couldn't affoard to release it in other countries as well. In most cases it's because the games weren't expected to sell enough to cover the costs to publish it in other countries. No matter how great the games were, it's the very unfortunate truth.

I suppose. I know we PAL users were lucky to get Super Smash Bros. at all, at least one British magazine took the step of getting a petition up, if I recall correctly. Otherwise we might have missed out on that classic.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 02:34 AM »
Thanks nuu!!  I might not have time tonight, but I'll try to add more by tomorrow along with better context.

EDIT

Here are 3 more (NSAT#2):

オカケ゛_テ゛_ヤルキ_カ゛_ワイテキタヨ
アハ゛ヨ_オレタチノアコカ゛レ・・・
ハート_カラ_オンカ゛ク_カ゛_キコエル・・・

Here's a little more background:

You're a giant that comes out of the water once in a long time.  You visit these islands with villagers and try to help them out.  Like a god sometimes they fear you, sometimes they love you, but a lot of the time it's in between.  Doing good things makes you grow in size, strength, and speed.  Doing bad reverses that.  Your main ability is to raise and lower the land, and to make it more/less hospitable.  Also you sometimes fight natural disasters.

At sundown you fall asleep.  During the night, the villagers huddle around your sleeping body and say 5 things about you which I assume tie in with what you did during the day.  The next day you start brand new.

The text you're translating is that nighttime text.  I have a list of phrases in English that might match up with the Japanese text (if they didn't change it completely for the Gamecube), but unlike other text, I have no way of matching it up properly.  If your translation works better, I will probably use your text :)

Again, thank you!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 06:37 AM by ozidual »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 11:05 PM »
オカゲデ ヤルキ ガ ワイキタヨ
アバヨ オレタチ ノ アコガレ・・・
ハート カラ オンガク ガ キコエル・・・

"Thanks to that, motivation is welling up"
"Good-bye, our admiration..."
"Music is heard from the heart"

These are translated from a general point of view. A better translation may be possible if I knew the subject and sometimes object in each sentence. Subject isn't clear in the sentences and must be understood from context. If the context is people making comments when the giant is sleeping, my first guess is that the subject is the speaker him/herself and the object is the giant in most of the sentences.
If that is the case we can rephrase the sentences a bit:

"I'm brimming over with motivation thanks to that/him"
"Good-bye, our admired giant"
"I can hear music coming from the/my heart"

Also there are several possibilities with some of the words:
ヤルキ - willingness, eagerness, motivation, inspiration, determination, high aspirations
アバヨ - good-bye, farewell, see you (it may be used in a more colloquial way sometimes)
アコガレ - yearning, longing, aspiration, admiration, object of attraction

Maybe I have to play the game to get the impression of what exactly they mean at times. But it may not always be necessary to understand exactly what the dialog writer meant in every case, and it may even supposed to be a little unclear at times. If you just hear random comments from random people out of context, you might not to be supposed to understand exactly what they are talking about, but just get a little glimpse of it and intepret it your own way. In that case it's more important that the sentences sounds natural and convey that spirit so to say. I am interested in seeing how the Gamecube translators intepreted it though.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2016, 05:36 AM »
NSAT#3

ヒャクセンレンマ_タ゛ネ
アタラシイ_セカイノ_キシ゛ュン_ヲ_エタ
トニカク_タイリョクタ゛ケ_ハ_アッタヨネ

Basically, it's villagers saying things about Doshin the Giant.  Either to Doshin or to the other villagers.  I sent you some other stuff that might help too.

Again, thank you!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 08:50 PM »
ヒャクセンレンマ ダネ
アタラシイセカイノ キジュン ヲ エタ
トニカク タイリョク ダケ ハ アッタヨネ
"You are a real veteran."
"We recieved a standard for the new world."
"Anyway stamina is all he had."

The second one might be E4-23 in the file you sent: "We set new rule for the land."
My translation is more literal though. Grammatically it's the world (セカイ) that's new and not the rule (キジュン) if I'm going to be picky. But キジュン could be translated to standard, norm, rule, criterion etc. so just take what sounds best.

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Small update.  Check the main post for a patch that removes save data from the Cart version.  It is nothing special and has no other updates.  I was mapping the save data for other purposes and decided to create this patch since a clean Disk version already exists.  It is not fully tested so I may have missed something, but it seems to function properly.

What I'm doing now is a learning process and will probably be slow, so don't expect major updates for a time.

NSAT #4

ミライ_ニ_ヨロシク
アテ゛ィオス_アミーコ゛
マエノメリ_テ゛_イキテタネ