Author Topic: Doshin the Giant 1  (Read 28421 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Doshin the Giant 1
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:33 PM »
ミライ ニ ヨロシク
アディオス アミーゴ
マエノメリ デ イキテタネ
"Say hello to the future from me."
"Adios amigo!"
"You were living by pitching forwards."
I'm not familiar with マエノメリ but it seems to mean pitching forward, or enthusiastic so the comment is probably about the giant's life style always being looking forward. It sounds like the giant is dead because the verb is in the past form (lived).

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 04:38 AM »
Another update.  I finished pulling the text that needs to be translated in both texture and text form.  I've added it as a zip file to the main post.  It only includes the text that needs to be translated, not the text already translated.  Though it does include the full Monument List even though large portions of it are already translated.  There are still sentences for each monument that don't match up between 64DD and GC J.

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even if you can only do a small part of it.  If you would like me to make changes to how it is presented too, I can definitely do that.  I'll continue to do the NSATs as well.

Thanks nuu!  Here's the next set:

NSAT#6

ショウフ゛_ニ_テ゛テタナ
ヨーク_カラタ゛_カ゛_ホク゛レテ_オリマス
シ゛ユウ_ト_イウモノヲ_ミセテモラッタ

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:31 AM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 02:41 PM »
It's starting to get harder. I'm not sure my limited skills is up for it.

ショウブ ニ デテタナ
ヨーク カラダ ガ ホグレテオリマス
ジユウ ト イウモノヲ ミセテモラッタ

"It/he/she/that appeared in a/the fight"
"The yooku body came loose" (using a very formal language)
"I was shown the thing called freedom"

I have no idea what yooku is supposed to be. It could be York or yoke but neither makes much sense.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 03:48 PM by nuu »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 06:30 AM »
Could it be yolk?

NSAT#7

サイコ゛ウタカモリ_カ゛_トモタ゛チニ_ナリタカ゛ッテル
キミノ_テ_ヲ_ニキ゛ラセテクレ
イイ_キモチ_タ゛ロ?
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Still making progress.  I found the table of symbols for Sodoru's in-game dialogue (hearts, skulls, buttons, etc.) and can now shift those around.  I know a little bit more about Night Comments.  I'm currently concentrating on mapping out the Morning Comments/Monument List scrolling text, which may take some time.  I have a good general idea of how it works and just need to go more in depth.

From time to time I'm looking into some Cart version problems too.  Twice now I've had games get stuck in "Ground Hog Day" mode where the same day repeats itself.  The day advances normally if I do nothing at all and just let Doshin sleep.  It's affecting both ED64 v2.5 and v3.0 currently.  I haven't put too much time into the Disk version beyond using it to check through code, so I assume that's working just fine, especially with LuigiBlood's new PJ64 64DD update.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 04:05 PM »
Yolk as in egg yolk? If it's pronounced similar to yoke it might be. And it sounds like it does according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCHZewcc5s
I missread the text earlier and have now corrected it. Still doesn't make that much sense, but if we assume ヨーク is yolk it could be a reference to the giant's body color.

サイゴウタカモリ ガ トモダチニ ナリタガッテル
キミノ テ ヲ ニギラセテクレ
イイ キモチ ダロ?
"My/our/your/the friend(s) wants the final/latest song." (I don't know what "kamori" is)
"Would you let me hold your hand?"
"Doesn't it feel good?"

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Yep yolk sounds almost exactly like yoke.  I'll see if I can find a match to it anywhere else because that is an odd one.  Still beats online translators which give absolutely useless stuff :)  Once again, thank you nuu!

NSAT #8

アラ_イイカセ゛
ナニカ゛_オコッテモ_オカシクナイノサ
ナントイッテ_ヨイ_モノヤラ・・・

The past few days have been spent focusing on creating some save files up to the end so I can test various things.  No hacking done.  The next few weeks will probably be pretty slow with Christmas and New Year's.  I'd like to make one breakthrough during that time, but we'll see.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:40 AM by ozidual »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Keep an eye out here on Christmas Day.  I think I found something which should be ready by then.  No translation.  Something else.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 04:55 PM by ozidual »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Keep an eye out here on Christmas Day.  I think I found something which should be ready by then.  No translation.  Something else.

Intriguing!

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Merry Christmas!  Here it is - Doshin the Giant 1 Debug Menu v0!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b5go11bbac3ys31/DoshinDebugV0.zip

Everything you need should be in there.  I highly recommend reading the text document as a starting point.  This is not the finalized version (hence v0), but it is usable.  It's the same code for the Demo, so I threw that in too though I have not tested that at all.  I only had a couple hours to put into testing everything, so there are definitely secrets still locked away in the Debug menus.  Feel free to post anything you find and I'll update a help document for everyone.

When I was modifying code for Zelda OoT, I used the debug code as a safe place to inject new code and store tables.  So, when I saw Debug mentioned in the text area of Doshin, I started to trace it back.  I found a branch jumping over the code and removed it.  Voila - the original Debug Menu.

There are better ways of doing this beside NOPing a branch (for v0), and I plan to go back to it eventually.  Also, the most useful Debug option is currently broken.  I am right in the middle of variable width fonts and want to finish that first.  I do not know how long any of this will take, but Debug is on the list now.  I also do not know if the Translation and Debug can co-exist.  We'll see.  If not, I will create a Debug version that has as much translated as possible.

Enjoy the holidays!  I may or may not be online on Christmas Day or for the next few days.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 06:08 AM by ozidual »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2017, 06:47 AM »
Sorry, no updates in a while.  I'm in the middle of the VWF (variable width font) code right now.  The barebones of it seems to be working, but I need to add in more code and tweak the spacing table.

This affects all text in the game that is not a texture (like a picture) or NOW LOADING or the Night Comments (which has it's own system tied in with NOW LOADING).

After I finish this VWF code, I may pause my work here to work on SimCity 64 for a time.  I am not abandoning this project.  I still plan to have the Doshin code complete well before SimCity 64 (though Doshin Debug might wait until after SimCity).  I have some Zelda code (not for my patches) that I need to finish as well which I'll fit in somehow.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:49 AM by ozidual »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2017, 08:17 AM »
Late night, but the VWF is pretty much done.  Just a few tiny tweaks.  Here's the before and after:

Before
After

I tried to insert them into the post for easy viewing, but I'm just not getting it and I need sleep.  Maybe I'll fix it tomorrow.

EDIT: Hmmm.. I'm trying to decide if this bothers me enough to do some major hacking to allow more characters per line:

Testing

I might be able to center it or at least indent it from the left side to improve the looks. We'll see.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:48 PM by ozidual »

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 05:36 AM »
I haven't had much time for anything recently.  Since it takes an hour or so to make a hacking session useful, I've spent the few minutes here and there that I have cleaning up my Doshin notes and posting them on romhacking's wiki:

http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Kyojin_no_Doshin
http://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Kyojin_no_Doshin:ROM_map

I still plan to complete this project, but since I'm not posting patches until near the end, I feel safer having some of my notes available online.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 02:47 PM »
Thanks for the update, mate. I know I'm not the only one looking forward to this, and we can wait for as long as it takes, and when it's done then it will be available for ever (to misquote Shigeru Miyamoto!)

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 05:30 PM »
Just checking in.  I decided to expand the characters per line limit from 20 to 40.  If you look at my post from 1/8 where I showed pictures of the VWF, most lines don't even reach halfway across the screen.  There are ways to make that look better, but while working on Morning Text I realized this would be helpful across the board.  Everything was progressing fine until I ran into some random crashes so I decided to take a break from it this week and go back to it next week.  It has some calls to what I assume is the IPL which I cannot trace or modify, so its entirely possible that this isn't doable.  The VWF is complete though, and looking quite nice if I do say so myself :)

In the meantime, I'm doing some work on other games.  I'll try to post here every couple of weeks to talk about the progress.