Author Topic: Problem with Master System ROMS  (Read 10598 times)

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Re: Problem with Master System ROMS
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 05:31 AM »
So basically if you're staring AT your Sega Master System, needlenose pliers in hand and a bit of drool running down your chin, you want to pull the pin marked in green:

Is there any reason whatsoever to keep pin 7 there or is it completely disposable?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 05:47 AM »
you're staring AT your Sega Master System, needlenose pliers in hand and a bit of drool running down your chin
HAHA!!! thats priceless, sounds like an opening page of a book, sounds like a sega needle nose plier killer  ;D
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 06:15 AM »
So basically if you're staring AT your Sega Master System, needlenose pliers in hand and a bit of drool running down your chin, you want to pull the pin marked in green:

Is there any reason whatsoever to keep pin 7 there or is it completely disposable?

On the adapter? No. It's the select line, and toggling it is what makes the Genesis pad incompatible with the SMS pad on games that toggle the line despite not needing to for SMS pads... which actually brings me to a different point - on anything other than the Japanese SMS Model 1, you can toggle the select line, and that means you can read 3 and 6 button controllers. I wrote routines to do this for SMS homebrew. How cool would it be to use the 6 button pad on an SMS game!  8)

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 03:01 AM »
I made one of these today from a db9 adapter. Works like a champ.

Offline huygens

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 08:50 AM »
A non-hardware option to fix the problem (maybe).

I took a look at the games that don't work with a genesis controller. They don't work because as part of the region check the game writes to the select line on the controller (port $3f). It's supposed to reset the port (write FF to it) after the check but these games don't.

I don't have my genesis or sms set up to test these at the moment (moved recently) but I made some patches to fix the problem games. This is my first time trying to patch a game. Could somebody see if these games work with genesis controllers after patching?

These were patched to reset the select lines:
Penguin Land
Wonder boy in Monster Land
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
Montazuma's Revenge
Shanghai

The rest are a bit harder to fix. I made patches for these that skip the part of the region check that writes to the select line. It would be better to just reset the register but I don't know how to add new code ( as apposed to just editing hex without moving anything). This might have side effects for consoles with a region switch or owners of FM boards (Bomber Raid and Alien Syndrome are fm games).
Bomber Raid
Great Volleyball
Alien Syndrome
Tennis Ace
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:52 AM by huygens »

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 03:38 PM »
i tried alien syndrome,worked fine here,i can play the game with 6button controller,but what is the problem,is the game not working with genesis controller?or other problem,too see what i must check in the game if its working now.gonna try now bomber raid

Offline fille1976

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 03:49 PM »
bomber raid is working,tried first booting in 50 hz,ingame switch to 60 hz,still worked,tennis ace can't move player,so not working here.
wonderboy 2 not working

Offline huygens

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:43 AM »
Thanks for checking! For the ones I changed the region check on the game may not detect region correctly on a Japanese console. EU/US should be fine.

Could you check the crcs on the patched roms that don't work?
should be:
Tennis Ace: b0b086bb
Wonder Boy in Monster Land: cdc3c8df

Offline fabio_rosendo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 08:27 PM »
Thanks for the Patches.  ;)
I patched alll these games and now works perfect with my Genesis original 3 Button Controller.
Now, the only games i can´t made to run is Wonderboy.
If someone able to patch Wonderboy to works on a Everdrive MD V3.2, i will apreciate.

Offline Muro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 08:45 PM »
I need a little help, I download the Sega Master System ROMs I download the emulator needed t play the games on PC, I play the Alex Kidd in Miracle World for 3 days and everything I properly saved my levels and in the 4 days I open the emulator and there was only the game the saved gaming was gone how is that possible, and now I need to start the game at the beginning.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 01:02 AM by Muro »