Author Topic: Why are 90% of Super Mario 64 hacks not working??  (Read 3544 times)

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
Why are 90% of Super Mario 64 hacks not working??
« on: November 24, 2016, 10:42 PM »
I checked many Super Mario 64 hacks and I'm so disappointed about their compatibility. Almost none of them work and those that do, they have almost nothing changed besides from Mario himself and some basic level design change. Other 40% have massive glitches and the other 50% don't work at all. Is there any specific reason for this?? They seem to work on emulators just fine and they are the same ROM files for N64. Just in case, is there/will be any fix for this?? I already tried Mario ED64 patcher found somewhere here in this forum and that almost didn't help at all. I'd love to try some of those awesome Super Mario 64 hacks on the real hardware!!

Offline protheanbeacon

• View Profile
Re: Why are 90% of Super Mario 64 hacks not working??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Probably because they were written to work on emulators and how those emulators function and not with the actual N64 hardware in mind.
krikzz products I own: SD2SNES, Joyzz, Everdrive GB X7, Everdrive GBA X5, Mega Everdrive X7, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, Turbo Everdrive v2, Master Everdrive X7.

Offline MaarioS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:05 PM »
That's what I also speculated too but it still doesn't make much sense to me. Emulators are still supposed to emulate N64 hardware, as well as NES, SNES and any other system out there. Almost all of the NES hacks work just fine on the real hardware

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:05 PM »
For a (long and) detailed explanation, start at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5711

then

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=86336&

and

https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthread&t=78265

Altogether it's a very detailed explanation as to why so few Super Mario 64 hacks work on real N64s, and why so little seems to be done to fix this problem.

But basically, N64 emulation has always been inaccurate (for some strange reason, you can emulate a Gamecube more accurately than you can an N64, at the moment!) and so when the Super Mario 64 emulator was written it was only tested on emulators, and worked OK. At the time, running the editor on a real N64 wasn't possible for the author of the editor, as it would have needed an expensive and hard to find CD-based 'back up' device. And people used the SM64 editor to create game hacks, that worked fine on emulators.

Then when people tried to play the hacks on real N64s they failed. Turns out the emulators allowed certain things that the real N64 would crash over. So when you run the hacks on an N64 then it just crashes (the problem isn't down to the Everdrive 64, it's the N64 itself that can't run the hacks. Plus some hacks do more than a real N64 could do anyway, having more detail on screen, or larger worlds, etc.

Anyway, it would be possible to alter the SM64 editor so that it produces hacks that work on a real N64, but apparently the person who has the source code for the editor won't do it, as he doesn't think it's worthwhile. And fixing individual hacks to work would require a lot of work from someone with a fair bit of N64-related technical skill.

Not a good situation at all. Have a read on the links I've posted to learn more.

On the plus side, at least the Goldeneye and Perfect Dark hacks work fine, plus F-Zero X Climax, the Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask hacks*, and the translated games. See:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5289.0

for downloads.

* Well, all hacks for the two Zelda games might not work on the N64, but the ones in the download thead above do.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:50 PM by Kerr Avon »