Author Topic: krikzz can you remove the smite button please  (Read 19864 times)

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
Re: krikzz can you remove the smite button please
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09 PM »
I honestly didn't notice it until you started this thread.  Now that I've noticed it, it doesn't bother me.  Popularity on a small support forum is like being the king of pakistan.

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:22 AM »
You know what might be a good substitute? Post the number of "applauds" vs the total number of posts. Someone with 3 applauds and 74 posts would clearly have more to say than someone with 3 applauds and 740 posts.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22 AM »
i really like the smite button. i try to find which post caused this and who gave this etc. also i should confess i enjoy smiting posts. not that i did a lot, but i enjoyed the process.

also for a country with over 180 million population, king of Pakistan is not a nice title. i am not from Pakistan, but i really don't like people who think world only consists of the Usa.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 01:28 PM »
Yeah Drakon you should apologise to the people of Pakistan!

Anyway back to topic, if bad rep really bothers you, you should just try to not stick out too much. I got mine when I stated my opinion once.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 02:10 AM »
Wow, looks like Krik actually removed the button.

This is honestly a bit shameful. Yes, there are people that will abuse the ability to smite (But also applaud) other users, but taking it away completely does not solve the problem.

Look at the following scenario.

User A is nice, but doesn't post much. He's gotten on people's bad sides before, but it wasn't from a personal attack or anything. Let's say his karma is +10/-2. Been a member for 4 months, by the way.
User B is a dick. He constantly bashes other users, and is constantly going on and on about how Krik should make something that he wants, bashing anything he doesn't like, etc. Very rarely constructive, but does occasionally post good content. His karma is +20/-200. Member for 5 months

Now, a new user can look at the two user's karmas, and with ease can discern that User A is probably a nicer/better person than B.

However, let's look back at the scenario without smiting.

User A would have 10 karma. User B would have 20.

A new user would mistakenly think that User B is a better person than A.

My Proposal? Just remove the whole system, or keep the smite/applaud system. Removing only the smiting option almost turns the forum into a totalitarian state. What only removing the smite option says is this:
"You can either like what I say, or be impartial to it. You can't not like what I say" (Sorry for the double negative, I couldn't think of another wording).

Now, with regards to the original intent of this thread, yes, I understand dvd's concern. However, if you're literally being smited to the stars, you may want to look back on yourself and what you've said. Remember, not everything is everyone else's fault. There will be people that disagree with what you say, but simply taking away their voice is not the solution to the problem. Listen to what they say, and you may find that they have a legitimate concern.

That is all. Have a nice day, everyone.

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12 AM »
Removing it is shameful? I don't see how. Most forums have nothing of the sort and they function just fine. It's just something that Simple Machines Forums happens to have.

Offline Gh0st

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 04:13 AM »
Removing it is shameful? I don't see how. Most forums have nothing of the sort and they function just fine. It's just something that Simple Machines Forums happens to have.
Removing the smite function but not the applaud function is. If he would have removed both, I would have had no qualms.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 05:36 AM »
thank you krikzz :) +1 justice prevails :) at the end of the day i was being smited for being a jaguar fan, yet i own loads of consoles and everdrives lol
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:37 AM by dvd2vcd »
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 08:08 AM »
Look at the following scenario.

User A is nice, but doesn't post much. He's gotten on people's bad sides before, but it wasn't from a personal attack or anything. Let's say his karma is +10/-2. Been a member for 4 months, by the way.
User B is a dick. He constantly bashes other users, and is constantly going on and on about how Krik should make something that he wants, bashing anything he doesn't like, etc. Very rarely constructive, but does occasionally post good content. His karma is +20/-200. Member for 5 months

Now, a new user can look at the two user's karmas, and with ease can discern that User A is probably a nicer/better person than B.

However, let's look back at the scenario without smiting.

User A would have 10 karma. User B would have 20.

A new user would mistakenly think that User B is a better person than A.

It's not a matter of nicer/better, it's about providing useful info. Maybe User B is a dick, but he provides more useful info. If you think his being a dick outweighs the info, put him on ignore.

Yes, there may be better systems, but this change is for the better. Maybe something else can work better... so be sure to make suggestions. The smite button is too easy to abuse and had to go. If you can come up with a better smite, make a proposal and maybe it will be adopted.

Offline deksar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 11:22 AM »
Popularity on a small support forum is like being the king of pakistan.
One of the most horrible example I've ever read in a heck of a long time! Terrible logic, bro.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 12:18 PM »
One of the most horrible example I've ever read in a heck of a long time! Terrible logic, bro.
But sound funny (:

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Pakistan's population is pretty high. I would argue being the King of Pakistan is more like popularity on a rather large forum that's full of sand.

also for a country with over 180 million population, king of Pakistan is not a nice title. i am not from Pakistan, but i really don't like people who think world only consists of the Usa.
Lol, yeah Drakon. Stop being so American  ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:29 PM by Grambo »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 04:28 PM »
i thought it was a little funny aswell tbh.  unfortunatly here in the uk most harmless jokes have become considered offensive and political correctness has gone out of control these days. cant say anything anymore without being branded a racist. the sad thing is that this protection don't apply to everyone here.
 my wife is romanian and at the moment there is a lot of romanian, bulgarian, polish hating going on and nothing at all done about it and is allowed to be considered funny. it's like as if people can say whatever they want about eastern europeans but you cant say nothing not even an harmless joke about asians or blacks without the racist card being played. shame everyone just cant get along. a jokes a joke. i'm welsh and where i come from we are all branded sheep shaggers lol. i think it's funny.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 09:12 PM »
I'm french, meaning obviously i feed myself with frogs, nails, bread and wine :)
And obviously i stink...

Well, i think that the "pakistan joke" was a bit tactless, but there was for sure no offense.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 09:37 PM »
yeah your right the french seem to get a bashing in the uk aswell sadly.
 i spent 11 months in romania all in all around transylvania and moldova and all the time i spent there the people were very friendly towards me a welsh guy. i find it a little embarrassing sometimes when the wife has to tolerate the complete opposite in the uk. still you cant educate fools i guess. i'm not on about jokes though i love a good joke and we take it well but some things go beyond a joke. i'm not a fan of that borat movie for instance. if that movie was made about another race they would have played hell imo.