Author Topic: Alternative for playing NSF files on Everdrive  (Read 9359 times)

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
Alternative for playing NSF files on Everdrive
« on: December 06, 2016, 04:37 AM »
Since Everdrive N8 now has support for the NSF-derived mapper 31, and with emulator support for that mapper growing as well, it's now feasible to make a mostly automated tool to convert NSFs into NES ROMs.

https://github.com/bbbradsmith/eznsf/releases/download/1.0/eznsf.zip

https://github.com/bbbradsmith/eznsf

This might be useful for people hoping to listen to NSF files on their Everdrive. It doesn't work with all NSFs; it's mostly intended for people making their own music with Famitracker, etc. but it should work okay with a lot of NSF files. There's a bunch of information in the readme file. The main requirement is to have Python 3 installed (it's a python script).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 08:36 AM by rainwarrior »

Offline MP2E

• Famicom Fiend
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative for playing NSF files on Everdrive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:05 AM »
Thanks!! Have always wanted to be able to play NSFs off the Everdrive :)

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Thanks a ton rainwarrior! While converted famitracker nsf's can have unexpected results on real hardware, does your tool support expansion audio in retail game nsf's like Akumajou Densetsu, Lagrange Point, Gimmick?

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:13 PM »
No, it can't support expansion audio.

What do you mean by "unexpected results" with Famitracker? It's supposed to work with Famitracker produced NSFs. Could you send me the FTM that produces a problem?

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 08:04 PM »
By unexpected results, I mean peculiarities with how real hardware interprets techniques like bends or note cutoffs where a track may sound perfect in famitracker but somehow different on a real NES. 

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:11 PM »
Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 03:21 AM »
can you make a more symple program that not require Python 3 or any other program? just a drag and drop like program? thanks

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 07:56 PM »
up

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 10:53 AM »
Sorry, no.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 06:17 AM »
you can add exp chip sound support? there are songs on youtube that uses them.

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Sorry, no I will not do that. It is too complicated a problem to solve in a generic way. Every expansion sound mapper has different memory layout requirements, and Famitracker is not generically compatible with those mappers. You would have to have an NSF that is laid out in a  specifically compatible way.

This program is open source, if you want to attempt it, it's not impossible to do it on a case by case basis with sufficient effort and skill, but it is not something I could just add to this as an automated thing.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 07:35 AM »
i'm not a programmer. You have the skills to implement it or is not possible to you? In years you are the only one that have made something for nsf on everdrive

also the powerpack handle this, and it's source code is free

also why you talk about famitracker? the problem is to run nsf made for exp chip (you find them on youtube example classic nes mini theme) and then play them on real hardware
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:43 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2018, 07:57 AM »
NSFs with expansion audio require an NSF mapper with expansion audio to play. This does not exist. The mapper 31 thing this relies on is an NSF mapper with no expansion audio. (This mapper will not have expansion audio added in the future, its definition is already closed.)

In theory you could make a similar new mapper with all expansion audio included, but that would be its own big project and I'm not interested in it.

This project is not a generic NSF player, but a way to easily build an .NES album from an NSF. It doesn't work with all NSFs, and was never planned to do so. I offer it for free in case anyone finds what it already does useful.

It's somewhat possible to take a specific NSF and hack it to fit the requirements and build an .NES that works with its original mapper that already has expansion audio, but this is labour intensive, and you only get 1 ROM from all that effort. I'm not offering free labour services like that here, just this tool which I made to do an automated thing. This hacking can't really be automated.

Making an NSF player for Everdrive is possible of course, but that's not what this project is. I do have the skills required to make an actual NSF player for Everdrive, but again I'm not interested  in it. If you want to hire me to make one, that'd be a different discussion.

The FPGA part of PowerPak's NSF player does not have publicly released source code. (...unless you know something I don't.) The menu for it does have source code (link) but that part is not very useful without the FPGA code that actually makes the sound.

Offline Arnold101

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2018, 10:02 AM »
didn't know about fpga code, i only writed what i readed in this forum in another topic.

i thinked that nsf in a nes file can be used in the respective chip  own mapper and not creating a new one

It's somewhat possible to take a specific NSF and hack it to fit the requirements and build an .NES that works with its original mapper that already has expansion audio, but this is labour intensive, and you only get 1 ROM from all that effort. I'm not offering free labour services like that here, just this tool which I made to do an automated thing. This hacking can't really be automated.
i think that this can be automated if the nsf use the same exp chip. One automation for each type of nsf exp chip 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:06 AM by Arnold101 »

Offline rainwarrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 10:10 AM »
By the way, if you happen to have an Hi-Def NES mod (or Analogue NT) you could use this tool to make an .NES from an NSF with expansion audio and it will play.

The reason that would work is because even though mapper 31 does not have expansion audio, on the Hi-Def NES the expansion audio is actually generated by the Hi-Def NES mod itself, not the mapper, so it wouldn't matter that it's missing from the mapper.

For anyone with a regular Famicom, or an audio-modded NES, this will not work though. No expansion audio, sorry. That's never going to be part of this particular tool.

Reply to edited addtion:
i think that this can be automated if the nsf use the same exp chip. One automation for each type of nsf exp chip
No, that's not how it works.

Look, even if it was possible, which it's not, I'm not planning to make any future improvements to this tool.

If you really believe that I'm wrong about what's possible, that's fine, but  you're going to have to do it yourself, because I don't agree and you're not making any argument for it. If you want to prove me wrong, the source code is right there, so feel free.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:18 AM by rainwarrior »