Author Topic: A Nice Find  (Read 5521 times)

Offline byted

• View Profile
A Nice Find
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Being the impatient person that I am, I ordered a N8 Famicom version as it's the only one currently available.  Though I was left with one dilemma; how will I get it to work on my NTSC NES.  I ordered a Gyromite cart from Ebay and it has yet to arrive.  Maybe I'll luck out and get a Famicom to NES adapter and maybe it'll be a dud and be a normal cart.

I already own a PowerPak from RetroUSB but seeing as I already own almost all of Krikzz' products, why not add another to the collection.  While I wait for my N8, I can still play NES stuff on the other cart.

That being said, where to find the somewhat elusive converter cart?  As luck would have it, I am travelling to Montreal on business and had a non work day to roam around.  I decided to check out an old video game/electronic shop.  It looked like an old computer/TV graveyard.  But hidden in the corner was an adapter than caught my eye.  Sure enough, it was exactly what I was looking for.  It gets better.  Not only did I find one adapter, I found *4* of them.  And the best part; $5 a piece.  I couldn't believe my luck.   I don't have any Famicom games to test out but I'm hopeful they all work.  Goes without saying, when you least expect something, you find it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:30 PM by byted »

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
Re: A Nice Find
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29 PM »
omg thats gotta be one of the best finds ever lol
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline byted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34 PM »
If the Gyromite contains a Famicom adapter, I think it's time to go buy a lottery ticket.  I'll most likely see if anyone on here is looking for one and sell them relatively cheap. I'm guessing most of these don't have any lockout chips so I'll probably have to short the chip in my NES.  Small price to pay.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:38 PM »
i have the top left hand corner adapter in your pic, it cost me £40!! it works with the N8 on a pal nes with region lockout disabled :)

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50 PM »
We used to have a lot of those adapter in Montréal because back in the day, they were selling pirate multi-cart in some game shop. But since the last few years, pawn shop have started to price thing using ebay and you can almost never find anything cool for sale there since they usually keep the good stuff (like adapter) to sell online. The Game Adapter at the top left corner is very common (or used to be) here, it was bundled with almost all multi-cart sold.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:53 PM by SkinnyV »

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Those adapters likely won't work with the N8.

Offline SkinnyV

• View Profile
    • dbwbp.com
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 10:56 PM »
There is indeed a possibility that some of those adapters won't work with your everdrive n8 because there is a good chance that at least some of them use a CIC stun circuit which for some reason has trouble to work properly in conjunction with Everdrive N8. My best guess is that the Everdrive consume more than a normal cart and it interfere with the way the CIC stun work.

Offline byted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 11:04 PM »
But since the last few years, pawn shop have started to price thing using ebay and you can almost never find anything cool for sale there since they usually keep the good stuff (like adapter) to sell online.

I'm guessing he can't be bothered with selling the stuff on Ebay. He seemed indifferent about it. It's a shop in Lasalle. I remember back in the day when Super Mario Bros 3 was released and only the Famicom version was around and these adapters were everywhere.  Knowing what I know now, I'd be hoarding lots of stuff.  Sigh.

Offline byted

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 11:05 PM »

I'm hopeful that *1* of the adapters will work with mine.  I have a heck of a better chance with four completely different ones than only one. That being said, if all four don't work, I'll bow my head down and do the walk of shame.

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:19 PM »

I'm hopeful that *1* of the adapters will work with mine.  I have a heck of a better chance with four completely different ones than only one. That being said, if all four don't work, I'll bow my head down and do the walk of shame.
use krikzz cic mod on attiny13 chip solder that sucker on adapter, job done :)

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 04:39 AM »
use krikzz cic mod on attiny13 chip solder that sucker on adapter, job done :)
Yep.

Totally worth it. Nice find.