Author Topic: Going to Japan in June - what should I buy?  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
Re: Going to Japan in June - what should I buy?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 08:58 PM »
On the SNES 2, the RGB mod does not enable S-Video, but it's exactly the same idea. You just have to add some wire and simple components from the encoder to the AV port.

I actually don't know about the audio... I imagine it does split out both red and white! If not, it'd be the easiest mod ever... solder one wire. It's line level audio and there would be no problem just bridging the two outputs.

No worries about the questions. You ask some good ones and we're more than glad to help clear the water :)

Good luck with finding a 1CHIP! Seems like you just might have a shot with all those SFCs with visible serial numbers. That'd be a great console to own. Totally worth ditching the box, imo.
S-video can still look fantastic, sometimes even indistinguishable from RGB. Sounds to me like you've come to some good conclusions on what consoles work best for you.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 02:57 AM »
I found all the info I need to do the s-video mod to the SFC Jr.

http://www.retrogaming.com.ar/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2652  (in Spanish. use Chrome, etc. to translate)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzXh6XOORLw

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?18292-How-to-mod-your-Super-Nintendo-Mini-Jr-model-2-for-S-
video&p=390905#post390905
(includes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDyg-SWZms )

At first, I was a bit confused because the schematic he provides in the first link there (the argentine one) shows one 75ohm resistor on each line off from the video encoder, but in his photos there are two resistors on each wire. But apparently, two 150ohm resistors in parallel is the same as one 75ohm resistor. I learned something new today. I have no idea, however, whether there is some advantage to doing it this way, or if he just had a bunch of 150ohm resistors laying around and no 75's. In the youtube vids and the sega-16 page, the mod is done with a single 75 on each line.

It is simple. Not quite as simple as doing an LED power light mod, but a helluva lot easier than installing a mod chip into an original Playstation.

I may end up doing this. Depends on what's available when I go shopping.

Offline Grambo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 03:27 AM »
two 150ohm resistors in parallel is the same as one 75ohm resistor. I learned something new today. I have no idea, however, whether there is some advantage to doing it this way, or if he just had a bunch of 150ohm resistors laying around and no 75's.

I guarantee your theory as to why he did it with 2 x 150ohm in parallel is correct. It'll have the exact same result, electronically.

Offline JimmyMz

• I am a Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 07:21 AM »
At first, I was a bit confused because the schematic he provides in the first link there (the argentine one) shows one 75ohm resistor on each line off from the video encoder, but in his photos there are two resistors on each wire. But apparently, two 150ohm resistors in parallel is the same as one 75ohm resistor. I learned something new today. I have no idea, however, whether there is some advantage to doing it this way, or if he just had a bunch of 150ohm resistors laying around and no 75's. In the youtube vids and the sega-16 page, the mod is done with a single 75 on each line.
There are three reasons why someone might use 2 (or more) resistors in parallel/series, instead of a single resistance value.

- one, to construct a non-standard value.
**this is probably the most likely reason for the installation you saw. 75 ohms is only available for resistors with a tolerance of <=5%, while resistors with a tolerance of 10% or higher are cheaper in cost. F.Y.I., If a resistor has four bands, with the fourth band being the color silver, it's a 10% resistor. If a resistor has five bands, it's a 10% resistor when the fifth band is the color silver.

- two, to spread heat (a.k.a. Watts) over multiple components, instead of torching :o one.

- three, the circuit designer is making a voltage divider.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 07:45 AM by Jimmy »
Nothing for sale right now, but more stuff coming soon. Message me on this forum by clicking the envelope icon under my name.