Author Topic: Troubles with Suitcase, TED 2.4 and CD Games  (Read 3126 times)

Offline TokyoScarab

• View Profile
Troubles with Suitcase, TED 2.4 and CD Games
« on: October 26, 2016, 12:48 AM »
Hi.  I have had my TED 2.4 for a month now and really love it.  I recently got Interface Unit and CD-ROM2 unit to play CD games.  To give you an idea of my situation, I'm  using the patched 3.01 card BIOS on the TED, Verbatim cdrs, and and burning from my old 2006 laptop at 1x.  I also recently replaced the faulty gear in the CD unit.  Most of the games run flawlessly, but a few end up glitching out and freezing at certain points.  I've tried doing Rondo a few different burns and I've noticed that most of the time (not all the time), the game runs fine until you get to the file select screen.  When you get here, the game usually freezes.  You hear the music but nothing moves and you're hardlocked.  If you can get the game to work, it'll randomly end up crashing in random spots, but usually after a few stages and never in the same way.  I'm fairly new to the PCECD scene but am not new to using older cd based systems.  The games that give me problems, so far, are Rondo and It Came From the Desert. 

I have heard people talk about using silver lacquered discs and that they are really good. What specifically is better about them?  I've also heard that using older burners is a better way to go.  I'm just very confused as to why most games seem to work, yet, these 2 have hiccups.  Any input into this would be greatly appreciated! :D

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Troubles with Suitcase, TED 2.4 and CD Games
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 05:12 AM »
Good media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim) is a start. I've used crappy media before. They'd work just fine, but if you try to play it later in the future, they won't work as well.

A verified ISO.

Burning at your disc's allowable lowest speed. 1x usually is preferred, but even then there is the possibilities of errors (especially if you multitask on your computer while burning). The lowest I burn discs is 8x. Of course, it may be different for others (YMMV).

The PCE's laser might be going bad. A quick potentiometer adjustment may help.

Components in the console going bad. Caps could cause reading problems.

It also might be the card causing issues. I have a PCE Duo and a TED 1.1 (or was it 2...?), so I'm unable to try it out.

Offline TokyoScarab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I'm certain the caps are original, but I haven't heard any audio crackling to suggest they're bad or have seen any leakage on the board, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them at some point.  How do you go about adjusting the laser?

Offline cueball1897

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06 AM »
Thanks for the reply!  I'm certain the caps are original, but I haven't heard any audio crackling to suggest they're bad or have seen any leakage on the board, but it wouldn't hurt to replace them at some point.  How do you go about adjusting the laser?

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=11677.msg223438#msg223438

This thread talks about adjusting the pots in a CDROM2. Be careful if you decide to try it, you can cause some serious damage to your unit from what I've read.

Offline gojira54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Probably you don't need to replace the caps in the IFU but here's a legend if you do