Poll

Would you like to see this thread pinned if Krikzz agreed to do so?

Yes.
9 (90%)
No.
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: [Closed] Rom Hack Compatibility Thread (Updated on 12/6/17)  (Read 25936 times)

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Howdy everyone, just dropped a bump here to let everyone know that Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have been finished all the way around as of 5/29/17. With that out of the way I'm moving on to finishing all the Super Mario 64 rom hacks, then Banjo-Kazooie, and finally I'll be starting on either Ocarina of Time or F-Zero's Rom hacks.

I've also thrown a poll at the top of the thread to see what the community thinks of getting this thread pinned if Krikzz were to allow it, as I mentioned before I've already asked him once in which he said he wouldn't do so but this was when the thread had just started and was still very unorganized/not as polished as it is now plus I only had a handful of hacks tested at the time. Hopefully I can go to him in the near future and not only show him a nicer and more polished thread but that the community (hopefully) wants to see this pinned as well!

As always feel free to leave comments, questions, and concerns below and if anyone has done testing in any of the Roms I haven't tested yet or have information that conflicts with mine, let me know so I can work on it!

Thanks guys and happy hacking!

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
This is an incredible thread, thanks for putting it together, The Renegadist! This is a massive undertaking collecting all of these hacks, patching them, and then testing. It's a huge time-saver for the rest of us, and a great service. Please keep up the excellent work, and thanks again! 8)

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
This is an incredible thread, thanks for putting it together, The Renegadist! This is a massive undertaking collecting all of these hacks, patching them, and then testing. It's a huge time-saver for the rest of us, and a great service. Please keep up the excellent work, and thanks again! 8)
Thanks a ton, Smoke! I'm glad I found something that could really benefit this community while giving me an excuse to play more of my ED64. Haha!

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
Re: [Closed] Rom Hack Compatibility Thread (Updated on 5/31/17)
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 07:16 PM »
Hey all,  unfortunately this isn't another update post where I excitedly report that another set of Rom hacks have been finished. So after the last update on the Mario hacks I once again hit the character limit on the thread and messaged Krikzz to ask for the limit to be raised so I could finish, since then I've been waiting for his response so I could continue work on the SM64 hack list. Yesterday he got back to me and basically said to use my posts below the main one to continue the thread in which I replied stating that eventually I'd run out of room there and would need the character limit increased anyway and using the spaces below would break the flow of the thread and would look ugly in general. Last night he said he would not increase the limit anymore which means I cannot continue and thus I'm stopping work on this thread entirely.

As disappointed as I am in this there isn't much I can do, Krikzz has worked with me in the past to increase the limit so I can't say he hasn't helped me before but I can tell that this thread never had Krikzz blessing to begin with. Not only with the character limit but he also mentioned that having too many threads pinned would be an eye sore even though this WAS probably one of the most helpful threads in awhile but it's his show and he can run it how he likes.

Not much more to say, everything will be left as is but unless the limit is increased I won't be working on this any further. Sorry to those who were wanting me to finish, looks like I won't be doing that. This will be my last bump for this thread, whether or not the community sees it on the first page is up to you guys.

Thanks and happy hacking.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:19 PM by The Renegadist »

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 03:39 AM »
You know... limits exist for a reason.

Why break the database for one person? You should break up that giant wall of text into several posts, there's no reason it couldn't be broken up by game.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07 AM »
Since you have the first few posts reserved, why not just break it up a bit? I have done that on other forums where I hit character limits. I think it would still flow really nicely. As much as Krikzz might want to keep extending the limit, it might be putting a lot of stress on his server if threads started expanding too much. Please don't give up, this is a killer project! :D

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 11:09 AM »
And what then after those three posts hit the limit, this is my concern.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Please don't give up, mate - you're doing fantastic work with it. If space is a problem, then why not use this thread just for first person shooters, and make another for platform games, one for racing games (such as F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, etc) and another for adventure type games (the two Zelda games, for example) and so on?

And if the threads themselves don't get stickied, then you can post their URLs in the stickied compatibility thread, or the stickied "Useful programs, tips, links, etc, for use with the Everdrive 64" thread, and people could find them via those links.

Please consider keeping to your project, as it's much too valuable to the community to be left to die. As it is, there's far too little information about the N64's hacks and mods available on the 'net, and you've done a lot to redress that imbalance.

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 07:18 AM »
Sorry guys, unless the limit is increased I'm dropping this here.

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Why not linking this thread to an external resource without character limits?
This project is great and would love to see it continuing.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Why not linking this thread to an external resource without character limits?
This project is great and would love to see it continuing.
That's the best alternative that someone has offered but then I'd have a really tiny thread with a link going to another website which is ugly and a waste of space and that's if I can find a site for what I want to do. Not only that but it takes away from the convenience ever so slightly and I won't be able to get direct feedback from the website or the feedback I will get is on here which is broken up from the main list.

I don't understand why the limit can't be raised more so then it is honestly, Smoke said that it might possibly put a strain on his server but 90% of the thread is text and Krikzz already raised the limit in the past anyhow. Honestly I don't see one negative to raising the limit other then someone might come on and abuse it but most of this community is laid back so if someone were to do that then that person could be punished.

Offline sysopgrace

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 06:59 PM »
If you need a site for this, please PM me. I will get you one.

Offline The Renegadist

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 09:36 PM »
If you need a site for this, please PM me. I will get you one.
I seriously appreciate it but the entire point of this thread was for people to have easy access to the list without going to a third-party site. If people want me to continue this (I'd like to continue this, myself) then message Krikzz about increasing the character limit otherwise this will remain as it is unfortunately.

Offline Aroenai

• Sentient Hunk of Green Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 10:20 PM »
... message Krikzz about increasing the character limit otherwise this will remain as it is unfortunately.

Having 38,661 characters in one post is absurd. Post it as an attachment if you must.
---
Mostly working on Zelda OoT & MM GC patches
Also, breaking region protections
Everdrive 64 v2.01 modified with an UltraCIC II, 64drive HW2

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 10:58 PM »
... message Krikzz about increasing the character limit otherwise this will remain as it is unfortunately.

Having 38,661 characters in one post is absurd. Post it as an attachment if you must.

I have to agree.  This seems like the sort of thing that would make more sense on a separate site.  Like micro-64.com is a separate site with good info on the ED64 from patches to the Aleck64 stuff.  It also has nice separate lists for various things on the games like CIC chip, save type, etc.  Forum posts get buried too easily, and sticky posts just bury more stuff quicker.

You'll have some good quality info that will look much better on its own site.  I might even consider posting things about the old "fix" roms.  After looking at the SSSV supposed "fix" roms, it looks like there might be a lot out there that are garbage, but some that are actually useful.  It would be good to know.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES