Author Topic: How to get GBC games to play on the ED64  (Read 8685 times)

Offline MoonTurtle

• View Profile
How to get GBC games to play on the ED64
« on: January 09, 2017, 10:45 AM »
TL;DR: I want want to emulate GBC and, if possible, GBA, and SNES on my ED64 with in-game sound.

I've gotten Gameboy games to play on my Everdrive 64 running the latest OS, V2.12. Unfortunately, the emulator that I managed to get working doesn't emulate sound and only plays the same tune over and over. The one I got working is "GBlator for NTSC Dr V64 (PD)." This emulator works with .GB ROM files, but not .GBC or .GBA files (even if I rename them). The emulator has some decent color adjusting and screen stretching features, and it loaded Pokemon Blue's frame when I tested it. It was only a little slower at some parts than what I remember on original handhelds, and there were some minor color issues that I'd attribute partly to the difference between my bright CRT and a dim, original GBA/GBC screen -- nothing horrible, graphically or speed-wise -- but without in-game sound I'd rather stick to emulating on my PC where I can hear what I'm supposed to.

In order to get GBlator's emulator to work, I had to do a bit of guesswork, and I wound up renaming GBlator's .z64 rom to "emu.gb" and placing it in the ED64 directory similar to the emu.nes file so that .GB ROMs would launch automatically like .NES ROMs. I couldn't figure out any other way to get Gblator's emulator to work, though it did boot by itself with its original .Z64 extension as well, but gave me an empty frame.

Other GB/C emulators I've tried without success include Nintendo WideBoy 64 by SonCrap (PD) and Gnuboy 64.  Gnuboy was the only one that actually came with directions but it gave me an error about not being able to load the bg. On the other hand, SonCrap's would start just like Gblator's, but only a blank or random static-y screen displayed in the frame. The same happens, incidentally with the SNES9x emulator for the ED64 that I've tried.

If you've read this far, thank you!
What I'm hoping for is any help I can get to properly set up GB/C and hopefully GBA and SNES emulation (preferably with sound, but I'll take what I can get) on my ED64. (Yes, I know they're generally slow and buggy and the SNES ROMs are basically unplayable, but I'd still really like to know how to get it to work.) I've thought of trying an older OS, but I'd like to avoid tinkering with something I'm uncertain about, since that starts to eat up quite a bit of time that I could use to instead play Paper Mario.

How have y'all gotten GB/C games to play on your ED64s? And is there an emulator for GBA games? No matter what I've tried, my ED64 won't give me an option to play GBA games like it does GB and GBC games.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:26 AM by MoonTurtle »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: How to get GBC games to play on the ED64
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:17 PM »
GBA games? Not a chance. Even the NES emulator is struggling.

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:33 PM »
Buy a GB everdrive

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:08 PM »
If you want to emulate anything more powerful than the NES, then the N64 can't really handle it. As Nuu says, even the NES is pushing things. A modded XBox (the original XBox from 2001, not the XBox One), or a modded Wii are the best consoles to host emulators, or maybe a OUYA?

Offline MoonTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 01:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I thought GBA emulation might have been a bit overhopeful.
In any case, it looks like there are homebrews for emulating GBC. Is there any way to get that working by chance? Like I said, I've tried 3 different GB emulators, and only one kind of worked without in-game sound, but it didn't seem to work for GBC roms.

If I can't get GBC emulation, is there a way to at least get better GB emulation (with in-game sound)?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:15 AM by MoonTurtle »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 02:14 AM »
Nope pretty much all homebrew emulators suck on it.

Offline MoonTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:06 PM »
Nope pretty much all homebrew emulators suck on it.
If you want to emulate anything more powerful than the NES, then the N64 can't really handle it. As Nuu says, even the NES is pushing things. A modded XBox (the original XBox from 2001, not the XBox One), or a modded Wii are the best consoles to host emulators, or maybe a OUYA?

Yeah. They suck, but they should at least run a game, shouldn't they? 

I've tried downgrading to the last 1.x OS for the ED64, but my ED64 V3 only gives a black screen if I do that.

Would using the old OS get Wideboy or Gnuboy to work?

Is the ED64 V3 able to run the 1.x OS? If so, how?

Offline ozidual

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15 PM »
Wideboy is pretty much just using the N64 for power and to pass through audio/video.  The cart is actually running gameboy games on the original hardware.  I'm assuming gnuboy is the same.

Don't quote me on this, but when these requests have come up in the past, the main argument was that the N64 runs code very differently from a computer or other consoles.  It doesn't play well and requires some convoluted code to get even a minimal NES emulator to work.  There was another thread on here somewhere about using the Transfer Pak to play gameboy games.  It's another option for you but it is nowhere near 100% either.

Seriously, if you want a cheap option to emulate stuff, snag a Wii.  You can find them for ~$20-$40, and you can emulate sooo much stuff on there.  eBay is flooded with old Wiis, and modding them is trivial.  Hell, ask your family members if they have a spare Wii sitting around somewhere.  So many non-gamers bought them and then put them away after a few months.  You'll get a much better experience than you would playing a barely functional emulator on the N64.

Personally, I'd rather see the people out there hacking the N64 to focus on fixing games and translating them rather than getting emulators to work.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:17 PM by ozidual »
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline MoonTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05 PM »
Wideboy is pretty much just using the N64 for power and to pass through audio/video.  The cart is actually running gameboy games on the original hardware.  I'm assuming gnuboy is the same.

Don't quote me on this, but when these requests have come up in the past, the main argument was that the N64 runs code very differently from a computer or other consoles.  It doesn't play well and requires some convoluted code to get even a minimal NES emulator to work.  There was another thread on here somewhere about using the Transfer Pak to play gameboy games.  It's another option for you but it is nowhere near 100% either.

Seriously, if you want a cheap option to emulate stuff, snag a Wii.  You can find them for ~$20-$40, and you can emulate sooo much stuff on there.  eBay is flooded with old Wiis, and modding them is trivial.  Hell, ask your family members if they have a spare Wii sitting around somewhere.  So many non-gamers bought them and then put them away after a few months.  You'll get a much better experience than you would playing a barely functional emulator on the N64.

Personally, I'd rather see the people out there hacking the N64 to focus on fixing games and translating them rather than getting emulators to work.
Using a Wii is a really good suggestion. I may do that if I'm not satisfied with the quality of GB/C emulation on the GBA ED X5. And, I agree, I'd like to see fixes for certain games before I'd like to see new improvements to N64 emulators, but at the very least the Gnuboy, and it looks to me like the Wideboy as well (not the cart, but the ROM I have downloaded), are designed to be used with N64 flash carts. I can set the Wideboy as emu.gb/c in the ED64 directory, though I dunno if that means much. The Gnuboy, on the other hand, has directions inculded for use on an N64 flashcart specifically.

I assume somebody already put the effort into getting these to run at one point. Though it's not at all crucial to my enjoyment of GB/C games or of my ED64, if I can figure this out, I'll have added 100s of games to the list of playable titles on the ED64, and I can spread the knowledge to others.

If the ED64 can handle NES games as well as it does (granted, not perfectly, but pretty darn good), then I figure it should be able to handle other 8bit games. I've discovered the N64 handles Gamegear ROMs playably well, in fact (with some sound and minor slowdown issues), and I plan to move on to testing MSX games next, for which I have a ROM converter like the one for Gamegear ROMs.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:11 PM by MoonTurtle »

Offline LuigiStar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 03:58 PM »

Using a Wii is a really good suggestion. I may do that if I'm not satisfied with the quality of GB/C emulation on the GBA ED X5. And, I agree, I'd like to see fixes for certain games before I'd like to see new improvements to N64 emulators, but at the very least the Gnuboy, and it looks to me like the Wideboy as well (not the cart, but the ROM I have downloaded), are designed to be used with N64 flash carts. I can set the Wideboy as emu.gb/c in the ED64 directory, though I dunno if that means much. The Gnuboy, on the other hand, has directions inculded for use on an N64 flashcart specifically.

I assume somebody already put the effort into getting these to run at one point. Though it's not at all crucial to my enjoyment of GB/C games or of my ED64, if I can figure this out, I'll have added 100s of games to the list of playable titles on the ED64, and I can spread the knowledge to others.

If the ED64 can handle NES games as well as it does (granted, not perfectly, but pretty darn good), then I figure it should be able to handle other 8bit games. I've discovered the N64 handles Gamegear ROMs playably well, in fact (with some sound and minor slowdown issues), and I plan to move on to testing MSX games next, for which I have a ROM converter like the one for Gamegear ROMs.
After a little search:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5518.0

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5786.0
Everdrives: ED64, EDGB V1, EDGB X7.

Other flashcarts: EZ Flash IV, EMS USB Smart Card 64.

Offline MoonTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 05:08 PM »
After a little search:

I wish I had your search-fu. It's not for lack of trying, I promise. Thank you!  I'll look into these.

EDIT: Saving this here too. (For modding the transfer pak to use ED-GB.)
https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1780.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:05 PM by MoonTurtle »

Offline LuigiStar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 05:24 PM »
After a little search:

I wish I had your search-fu. It's not for lack of trying, I promise. Thank you!  I'll look into these.
No problem, if you have any doubt, you can ask me.

Greetings.
Everdrives: ED64, EDGB V1, EDGB X7.

Other flashcarts: EZ Flash IV, EMS USB Smart Card 64.

Offline asper

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 11:03 PM »
TL;DR: I want want to emulate GBC and, if possible, GBA, and SNES on my ED64 with in-game sound.

I've gotten Gameboy games to play on my Everdrive 64 running the latest OS, V2.12. Unfortunately, the emulator that I managed to get working doesn't emulate sound and only plays the same tune over and over. The one I got working is "GBlator for NTSC Dr V64 (PD)." This emulator works with .GB ROM files, but not .GBC or .GBA files (even if I rename them). The emulator has some decent color adjusting and screen stretching features, and it loaded Pokemon Blue's frame when I tested it. It was only a little slower at some parts than what I remember on original handhelds, and there were some minor color issues that I'd attribute partly to the difference between my bright CRT and a dim, original GBA/GBC screen -- nothing horrible, graphically or speed-wise -- but without in-game sound I'd rather stick to emulating on my PC where I can hear what I'm supposed to.

In order to get GBlator's emulator to work, I had to do a bit of guesswork, and I wound up renaming GBlator's .z64 rom to "emu.gb" and placing it in the ED64 directory similar to the emu.nes file so that .GB ROMs would launch automatically like .NES ROMs. I couldn't figure out any other way to get Gblator's emulator to work, though it did boot by itself with its original .Z64 extension as well, but gave me an empty frame.

Other GB/C emulators I've tried without success include Nintendo WideBoy 64 by SonCrap (PD) and Gnuboy 64.  Gnuboy was the only one that actually came with directions but it gave me an error about not being able to load the bg. On the other hand, SonCrap's would start just like Gblator's, but only a blank or random static-y screen displayed in the frame. The same happens, incidentally with the SNES9x emulator for the ED64 that I've tried.

If you've read this far, thank you!
What I'm hoping for is any help I can get to properly set up GB/C and hopefully GBA and SNES emulation (preferably with sound, but I'll take what I can get) on my ED64. (Yes, I know they're generally slow and buggy and the SNES ROMs are basically unplayable, but I'd still really like to know how to get it to work.) I've thought of trying an older OS, but I'd like to avoid tinkering with something I'm uncertain about, since that starts to eat up quite a bit of time that I could use to instead play Paper Mario.

How have y'all gotten GB/C games to play on your ED64s? And is there an emulator for GBA games? No matter what I've tried, my ED64 won't give me an option to play GBA games like it does GB and GBC games.

Use this gnuboy version (emulator in the SD root) it should be the user saturnu's version: https://mega.nz/#!bkEVlQpZ!54savdVT_fD0mv0C_LormnK5DKGAXffQTk3weN2gzNI and put roms (GB/GBC) under SD:\gnuboy\games ; just wait a bit for emulator (and emulated games) to be loaded !

All other emulators (SMS, MSX2, SNES, ScummVM), excepted the nes.emu one, need a rom injection inside the main emulator "rom" file and (unfortunately) cannot be used as nes or gnuboy selecting games from a list.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 10:52 PM by asper »