Author Topic: Soft Reset to rom list on Everdrive N8 still a possibility?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
Since I can't find a topic on this from the past year or so I wanted to bring this up again.

I have a back injury which keeps me from getting around as much as I'd like to.
In preparation for the Everdrive N8 (which I just purchased) I also purchased a couple of 8Bitdo wireless controllers thinking that once I powered everything up I could lay back and play through some NES classics without getting up.

I mistakenly figured the N8 had a reset back to the rom list since it also included save/load state support. I saw some requests on this, but nothing seems to have materialized. I for one would really love to see this soft reset implemented.

Maybe Krikzz wants to let the RetroUSB PowerPAK have a couple of prime features (remote reset) that the N8 does not. Keeping a fair playing field and all. Probably not. :P

I would also donate towards a crowd funding site to help motivate this feature if need be. I'm sure there must be others who would like to reset to menu from the controller. Thanks

Offline Johnny23b

• View Profile
Re: Soft Reset to rom list on Everdrive N8 still a possibility?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I would like to have a soft reset to menu too.  :D

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 12:00 AM »
There may not be room in the fpga for something like this. We have already had things removed to add mappers for more game compatibility. I would rather the focus be 100% compatibility than a few QOL changes.

The AVS has a soft reset feature built-in. I use this with my Everdrive and it works great for me.

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:38 AM »
There may not be room in the fpga for something like this. We have already had things removed to add mappers for more game compatibility. I would rather the focus be 100% compatibility than a few QOL changes.

The AVS has a soft reset feature built-in. I use this with my Everdrive and it works great for me.

I also have an AVS, but prefer to play NES games on my Wega CRT because there is some lag on the HDTV. I'm willing to bet many people here do not have a NES console with the ability to remotely reset it.

Has Krikzz actually said how many resources on the N8 this sort of button configurable remote reset would use? With just about every game already working on the N8 I'd much rather see this feature instead of a random obscure game suported. Especially if it was something as terrible as Action 52.

When asking around about this feature on forums I was surprised to see just how many people want a way to reset back to the game list without having to get up and press the reset button.
Many of them even opted to buy the PowerPAK just for that feature.

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 02:29 PM »
I always keep the consoles pretty close to me, on a coffee table or on the floor. Then I can just bump the reset button with a toe, if I want to.

On the Atari 2600, the joystick cables were short, the RF cable was super long, and most of the buttons were on the console itself, so that was always just part of the experience: Sitting on the floor, in front of our giant wood-grain console TV, with a pile of games in-between us.

I mean, otherwise, if you're really desperate, you could mod something to reset for you =) Maybe plug your NES into a Clapper and clap a few times?

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:46 AM »
I always keep the consoles pretty close to me, on a coffee table or on the floor. Then I can just bump the reset button with a toe, if I want to.

On the Atari 2600, the joystick cables were short, the RF cable was super long, and most of the buttons were on the console itself, so that was always just part of the experience: Sitting on the floor, in front of our giant wood-grain console TV, with a pile of games in-between us.

I mean, otherwise, if you're really desperate, you could mod something to reset for you =) Maybe plug your NES into a Clapper and clap a few times?

I have my TV about 12 feet away. It's far enough where it was also worth it for me to buy 2 8bitdo Wireless controllers, which are great btw.

I'm not good with modding like I used to be. I might be able to rig something up, but really, I'd much rather be able to just press B+A+Start+Select to get back to the game list.
With other NES/Famicom flash carts being able to remote reset it really needs this feature IMO.

I have an X10 remote power outlet, but I'm not sure if feel too good about cutting the power over and over again in that method.

I'm hopingto hear from Krikzz on weather this is possible or not.
The N8 beats the Power PAK in all ways except for this. This would be an amazing addition.

Offline Ripthorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I doubt that krikzz implements this function.
Just mod your NES with a NES RGB kit + borti4938's in game routines board.
With this mod, you can return to rom selection menu and reset your game with buttons combination on controller.

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:56 AM »
With this mod, you can return to rom selection menu and reset your game with buttons combination on controller.

Why the doubt?

Remote reset is none of the biggest requests for flashcarts. Some people are buying the competition's flash carts just for this feature.

Thanks for the suggestion for the RGB Mod, but I'd probably just buy a PowerPAK from RetroUSB before spending $100 + installation on it just so I can reset it via the controller.

Offline Ripthorn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:48 PM »

Why the doubt?

Remote reset is none of the biggest requests for flashcarts. Some people are buying the competition's flash carts just for this feature.

Thanks for the suggestion for the RGB Mod, but I'd probably just buy a PowerPAK from RetroUSB before spending $100 + installation on it just so I can reset it via the controller.
Well, I have the impression that krikzz is not interested.

AFAIK, on powerpak, soft reset is related to the MAPPERS, and not all supports this feature.

My other suggestion would be to buy a HDMI to Video Component/Composite converter to use together with the AVS on your CRT TV.
It's cheaper than buying another flash cartridge :P

Offline Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 03:23 PM »
I have my TV about 12 feet away. It's far enough where it was also worth it for me to buy 2 8bitdo Wireless controllers, which are great btw.

Sit closer to the TV, and if anyone complains, tell them your back hurts? =)

Get some longer A/V cables?

Idunno, that's all I've got, I know it's not very helpful.

I know in times of extreme laziness, I've tried to hit the reset button with a long stick or something.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 01:37 PM »
It's not just a few obscure titles that's missing. It's heavey hitters like MMC5.

Software reset would interfere with the game and cause all kinds of problems (like it does on other flashcarts already). Some games already use B+A+Start+Select for software reset so that would conflict with this.

Just sit closer to your NES.

Offline retro_fan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:39 PM »
[...]

I also have an AVS, but prefer to play NES games on my Wega CRT because there is some lag on the HDTV. I'm willing to bet many people here do not have a NES console with the ability to remotely reset it.

[...]

Maybe what you need is Analogue Nt mini? This is a bit like the AVS (FPGA-based hardware), but with more features and support for CRT displays. Unfortunately, it's expensive, but selling your NES and AVS might help. :P

Remember to wait for reviews to see if the mini is as good as they promise, it might also need some firmware fixes like the AVS did at first.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:46 PM by retro_fan »

Offline Spoonman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 07:07 AM »
[...]

[...]

Maybe what you need is Analogue Nt mini? This is a bit like the AVS (FPGA-based hardware), but with more features and support for CRT displays. Unfortunately, it's expensive, but selling your NES and AVS might help. :P

Remember to wait for reviews to see if the mini is as good as they promise, it might also need some firmware fixes like the AVS did at first.

Thanks, but no.. Spending $500+ on another NES FPGA is not what I need heh.

Chris at Analogue is also a thief and a very unprofessional guy, but that's a topic for another day.
I would spend $1000 on a competitor before spending $500 on any of his overpriced wares.