Author Topic: Patches for Conker's Bad Fur Day  (Read 23997 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Patches for Conker's Bad Fur Day
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 08:20 PM »
ConkerGuru, sorry to make another request, especially so soon after you fulfilling my Colors and Death-match requests, but I was wondering, would it be possible to alter the controls so that in Colors (and Total War, Death-Match, Heist, and Raptor) the player uses the C buttons to move?

So that C-Up moves forward, C-Left strafes left, C-Right strafes right, and C-Down either moves backwards (preferably) or turns around, and the analogue stick is used for turning. The Right shoulder button would have to be left as it was, so that when it's held down then Aim mode is entered, as normal.

If this is possible, would you consider creating a patch for it, please (one that preferably incorporates your Colors and Death-match improvements)? It doesn't matter how it effects the single player mode or the Tank and Race multiplayer modes, even if it somehow affects them negatively, we could just use this patched rom for Colors, Deathmatch, etc, and not for single player mode.

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 11:59 PM »
ConkerGuru, how difficult would it be to mess with level editing? I understand how the dialogue works now. Curious how difficult it would be to add levels, events etc.  We could do some fun stuff for sure

Offline mistamontiel

• ..!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/mistamontiel00/videos
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 01:02 AM »
WOW ! So in the memedit patch the ECTS build is fully unlocked ?

I saw here another one but the game overs prevailed and could not idle a minute before resetting ={

Offline ConkerGuru

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 01:45 PM »
My N64 is now residing with me, and your Colors mod is fantastic! It might seem to someone who doesn't play Colors a lot that it's a small change, but it really does change the experience, so thanks a million for that, mate!

The Death-match mod is great too, and no crashes so far, but I only played it for a while (against five bots), and then went back to Colors (I couldn't resist!).

Finally, after sixteen years, I can play Colors the way I always wanted to  :) :) :)
Glad you liked the patches, and enjoying the heck out of them too! :)

I'm still not certain what exactly causes the patch to crash at certain moments, but maybe it is something within the bot randomizer code that's causing an exception or something (in all the crashes I've seen so far, by looking at the debugger, the thread that crashed always seems to be thread 3. It also says "TLB Refill (s)" every time the crash happens. Not sure what that means though, but it probably has something to do with the Translation-Lookaside-Buffer).
ConkerGuru, sorry to make another request, especially so soon after you fulfilling my Colors and Death-match requests, but I was wondering, would it be possible to alter the controls so that in Colors (and Total War, Death-Match, Heist, and Raptor) the player uses the C buttons to move?

So that C-Up moves forward, C-Left strafes left, C-Right strafes right, and C-Down either moves backwards (preferably) or turns around, and the analogue stick is used for turning. The Right shoulder button would have to be left as it was, so that when it's held down then Aim mode is entered, as normal.

If this is possible, would you consider creating a patch for it, please (one that preferably incorporates your Colors and Death-match improvements)? It doesn't matter how it effects the single player mode or the Tank and Race multiplayer modes, even if it somehow affects them negatively, we could just use this patched rom for Colors, Deathmatch, etc, and not for single player mode.
I'll add that on my todo list. Don't know where the code for multi controls would reside though, since much of the gameplay code have yet to be documented(still trying to understand how the game spawns objects in a clean way, and even then I'm having a bit of trouble creating a similar function). But I'll give it a shot.
ConkerGuru, how difficult would it be to mess with level editing? I understand how the dialogue works now. Curious how difficult it would be to add levels, events etc.  We could do some fun stuff for sure
I haven't messed much with level editing in Conker, so i can't say for certain how easy it would be. Conker is a 64MB game, and 64 MB is the max ROM size that the Nintendo 64 can accept. The game contains some empty maps though, so maybe those could be used to add new levels?

Don't know how far along progress in level editing for Conker has come in recent times, but I'm sure that with careful labouring and so on, at least some levels could be replaced. Again, this is outside my own personal experience, so I can't say anything more on it.

I do know that events in a level can be kind of altered, since a while ago I managed to restore some leftovers from the ECTS demo into the Tedi operating room. Though it came at the cost of not being able to progress due the the trigger for the "SHC squirrel strapped onto a electrical chair" cutscene not exisiting for the room setup I replaced the original one with.
WOW ! So in the memedit patch the ECTS build is fully unlocked ?

I saw here another one but the game overs prevailed and could not idle a minute before resetting ={
The cbfd_memoryeditor_ECTS patch is just the memory editor by itself, and as such does not have the hacks found in the cbfd_memeditor_and_all_chapters_ECTS patch.

If memory serves me correct, all the hacks mentioned to be in the cbfd_memeditor_and_all_chapters_ECTS patch should be working, including disabling of game over instances. I'll re-check the patch on my Everdrive just to make sure before jumping into any further assumptions.

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 07:06 PM »
I have successfully done all the uncensoring  for the text but having trouble injecting the new audio mp3's I had recorded. From what I can tell they are mono 22050 hz 32-bit float mp3s but when importing them with gedecompressor I get an error message . The files are smaller so I'm not overwriting anything. Any ideas?

Offline WinROR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Hi, all, sorry to ask here but this point is crucial to me : binkers87, how did you manage to change the text and to inject it without error in the saved rom ?
I mean, I'm tryin to translate this game, decrompressin it with GEdecompressor, changing the .bin I want with an hex editor (no octet added, no more nor less, just changing letters), inject it, and savin the new rom.

Sometimes it told me that file is larger, wich will crash the game, or skip a cinematic to directly launch the next one, and sometimes, the cinematics that should launch just hang on a black screen (not freeze, just hang at 60fps on this black screen of transition. Ex when I change even a letter at the beginnin screen "for mature audience only, insert rumble pack, game 1, and so.. The rom is loaded, I see my changements, but when I try to enter a game, the nxt .bin is not launched, instead of launching the.bin with the introduction cinematic).

Lots like me are very interested in the answer, because everyone so far seemed to failed since the changed .bin seems to not be able to launch the next one.
Thank you, and sorry again to interfer in this thread.

Ps : to Conkerguru, I tried to Pm you about this point. I dunno if I done well or if there is a special thing to care when injecting a new file. (or maybe GEdecompressor is only a starter to do what I want, like SubDrag told me. And if so, I have no clue on how to compress it again doing a safe rom).

Ps 2 : To binkers87 About your mp3 issues, I think as it is a constant bitrate that the best way to have the same time in your file is to open the original one in an audio edition tool (soundforge is pretty good) and to patch your new one in it.
More than that, all the mp3 are not encoded the same way. Exemple 1AB6708.mp3 is 48kbps, and 1F93830.mp3 is only 40 kbps.
All of them seem to be :
CBR / Mono / 22KHz / channel mapping center / Audio quality : Low (lossy) / and encoded with FHG (apparently), not lame.

EDIT : I just tried something that seems to work. If it is a file volume issue, you could (maybe) try to add empty "00" octets at the end of your file to gain in size and match the original size.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:29 PM by WinROR »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 10:41 PM »
Glad you liked the patches, and enjoying the heck out of them too! :)

Oh yes, thanks!

I'm still not certain what exactly causes the patch to crash at certain moments, but maybe it is something within the bot randomizer code that's causing an exception or something (in all the crashes I've seen so far, by looking at the debugger, the thread that crashed always seems to be thread 3. It also says "TLB Refill (s)" every time the crash happens. Not sure what that means though, but it probably has something to do with the Translation-Lookaside-Buffer).

Sorry, I can't help of course (it's all Greek to me!), but it might be an idea if you posted about it on:

http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/

as there are some knowledgeable N64 hackers on there. And I can vouch for them being a friendly and helpful bunch.

Quote from: ConkerGuru

I'll add that on my todo list. Don't know where the code for multi controls would reside though, since much of the gameplay code have yet to be documented(still trying to understand how the game spawns objects in a clean way, and even then I'm having a bit of trouble creating a similar function). But I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2017, 02:36 AM »
Hi, all, sorry to ask here but this point is crucial to me : binkers87, how did you manage to change the text and to inject it without error in the saved rom ?
I mean, I'm tryin to translate this game, decrompressin it with GEdecompressor, changing the .bin I want with an hex editor (no octet added, no more nor less, just changing letters), inject it, and savin the new rom.

Sometimes it told me that file is larger, wich will crash the game, or skip a cinematic to directly launch the next one, and sometimes, the cinematics that should launch just hang on a black screen (not freeze, just hang at 60fps on this black screen of transition. Ex when I change even a letter at the beginnin screen "for mature audience only, insert rumble pack, game 1, and so.. The rom is loaded, I see my changements, but when I try to enter a game, the nxt .bin is not launched, instead of launching the.bin with the introduction cinematic).

Lots like me are very interested in the answer, because everyone so far seemed to failed since the changed .bin seems to not be able to launch the next one.
Thank you, and sorry again to interfer in this thread.

Ps : to Conkerguru, I tried to Pm you about this point. I dunno if I done well or if there is a special thing to care when injecting a new file. (or maybe GEdecompressor is only a starter to do what I want, like SubDrag told me. And if so, I have no clue on how to compress it again doing a safe rom).

Ps 2 : To binkers87 About your mp3 issues, I think as it is a constant bitrate that the best way to have the same time in your file is to open the original one in an audio edition tool (soundforge is pretty good) and to patch your new one in it.
More than that, all the mp3 are not encoded the same way. Exemple 1AB6708.mp3 is 48kbps, and 1F93830.mp3 is only 40 kbps.
All of them seem to be :
CBR / Mono / 22KHz / channel mapping center / Audio quality : Low (lossy) / and encoded with FHG (apparently), not lame.

EDIT : I just tried something that seems to work. If it is a file volume issue, you could (maybe) try to add empty "00" octets at the end of your file to gain in size and match the original size.

I got the mp3s to work. Apparently the tool can't import them so I imported the binaries by hand.

The tool will automatically compress the .bin files you dont need to compress them after you've edited them. I was doing that initially and it was breaking the game. Also make sure to be aware of the control codes that are in with the text. 0A in hex goes to the next line and BD (i think) scrolls to the next page of text. There are pointers as well so if you overwrite where those start then the text will be all messed up as well. Definitely a tough game to edit.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:52 AM by binkers87 »

Offline WinROR

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2017, 03:27 AM »
thanks for the answer binkers87 : ) !!
I'm allready ok about the 0a and bd things to edit my text, but the missing part is about what you said first :
"The tool will automatically compress the .bin files you dont need to compress them after you've edited them"
Fact is GEDecompressor is the only way I know to compress, and (most important part here since it's where i'm frozen) recompile. How, and with what do you managed to extract or to inject it to the rom ? Because on my point, I have decompressed the game, and have +3600.bin and mp3, no clue how to make it a Rom again manually ^^'.
Thanks, again, I'm too happy to learn ! : )

Offline mistamontiel

• ..!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/mistamontiel00/videos
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 05:12 AM »
What's this anti-spam bullchit questions for me every time I wish to post ={ Have I not regged ..?

Anyways , wow ! The memeditor patch works nice so I can see all of the old ECTS build with no interruption ! Cheers so much !!

I am curious why Conker does not sport the caveman hair anymore but ok lol !!!

Offline ConkerGuru

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2017, 05:21 PM »
After having done some extensive testing on Project 64 V1.6(with help of savestates and a memory debugger) I can rule out all possibilities except one; it could be the amount of vertices in models being too high that causes the game to crash, depending on the character models loaded. Having the number of bots limited to 5 helps to prevent it from happening though, so maybe I'll stick to this number from now on.

So there appears to be nothing wrong with the deathmatch patch, it might simply be the number of vertices/triangles in models that simply just don't fit somewhere in RAM, and having the player character performing nearly any kind of action makes the game freeze(though pulling out the bat seem to work fine).

Anyhow, while I can't be 100% sure about this theory being correct, I feel that the patch seems good enough the way it is now. I will still be fixing a minor bug with the patch though. (mainly one that makes bots still make noises when being blown to pieces by a bazooka bullet or a bomb. It doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but I still feel the need to fix it.)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 06:28 PM »
After having done some extensive testing on Project 64 V1.6(with help of savestates and a memory debugger) I can rule out all possibilities except one; it could be the amount of vertices in models being too high that causes the game to crash, depending on the character models loaded. Having the number of bots limited to 5 helps to prevent it from happening though, so maybe I'll stick to this number from now on.

So there appears to be nothing wrong with the deathmatch patch, it might simply be the number of vertices/triangles in models that simply just don't fit somewhere in RAM, and having the player character performing nearly any kind of action makes the game freeze(though pulling out the bat seem to work fine).

Anyhow, while I can't be 100% sure about this theory being correct, I feel that the patch seems good enough the way it is now. I will still be fixing a minor bug with the patch though. (mainly one that makes bots still make noises when being blown to pieces by a bazooka bullet or a bomb. It doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but I still feel the need to fix it.)

I've played Deathmatch a few times since (I nearly said 'tested', but that implies work not enjoyment!), and I've had no crash (I have an expansion pak, if that matters). I also didn't witness the sound bug, but I was listening to the radio some of the time, so I wouldn't have heard it anyway, sorry.

It might be an idea to write in the instructions that the mod can potentially crash in Deathmatch on very rare occasions., which can be avoided by playing with less than five bots in the match.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:33 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline ConkerGuru

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 08:21 PM »
In Conker's case I don't think having the expansion pak installed matters. I also have the expansion pak in my N64, and yet the crash happens on very rare occasions likely due to the reason as I said in my previous post (more triangles/verts in one model compared to another with more simple geometry).

By the way, I was using a separate patch that didn't have the 5 bot limit, mainly for playtesting and to eventually find the cause of the freezing problem. I'm kind of glad I did by now.

I'll change the description for the deathmatch patch to mention that the game could possibly have a rare chance of freezing up with more than 5 bots depending on the characters in the current match. The 5 bots limit acts as a safeguard so people don't accidentally or intentionally set it over 5, so the crashing shouldn't happen with just 5 bots.

On a more positive note, I've been working some more on my Object Spawn hack, and it has come along fairly nicely. Still need to fix some things before I can make a patch of it. YT link to video showing the hack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDh1ItTf8E

Offline binkers87

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 03:15 AM »
Check out my uncensored hack. Dung beetle scene *Please excuse my terrible graphics card for choppiness*

https://youtu.be/ZiCiTi4_5ko

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 06:45 PM »
Check out my uncensored hack. Dung beetle scene *Please excuse my terrible graphics card for choppiness*

https://youtu.be/ZiCiTi4_5ko

Impressive! I'm sure some people will love it. Do you have a download link for the patch, please?