Author Topic: Zelda OoT 64 transfer game saves from original cartridge to the everdrive 64 x7  (Read 497 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline icebreake

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello all,
I´m new to this forum and also to everdrive and its features.
I just bought an everdriv64 x7 and a retrode 2 to backup my original Nintendo 64 games.
I transferred all my game roms and their particular game saves successfully to the everdrive sd card.
This worked perfectly for all games except my Zelda Ocarina of Time.
The retrode 2 (FW v0.23) saved the files TheLegendOfZelda.NZLP.sra and TheLegendOfZelda.NZLP.z64 from the cartridge.
Of cause, I stored the sra file in ED64\SAVE\, but when I start the game, the save game state is not recognized.
A new file with srm extension is created instead.
I tried to rename the original sra file to srm.
Also, I used the ED64-Saveswap.exe to swap byte and word of the 32kbyte sram file. The resulting file I tried also with both extensions.
But the result was always the same and the save game state is not recognized.
My save_db.txt looks like mentioned in http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9389.0.
I read lots of posts here and what else google was able to find to solve the issue by myself. But without further luck! That´s why I ask you for your help.
What do I need to do, to transfer my nearly finished save game state from the Zelda OoT cartridge to my everdrive?

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline ozidual

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 537
  • Karma: +46/-0
    • View Profile
The name should match the ROMs name.  So if the ROM is called:

Zelda OoT v1.0.z64

the save file should be called:

Zelda OoT v1.0.sra

Don't do the save_swap.  That's only needed to convert to/from PJ64 saves.
Projects: Zelda OoT GCtoN64, Doshin the Giant, SSSV, Sim City 64, Getter Love, Shiren
Flash Carts: EverDrive64 2.5, EverDrive N8, SD2SNES

Offline icebreake

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hallo all again,
I finally got my issue solved!
As ozidual already told me, the save swap is not necessary to get the saved progress status of the game properly recognized during startup.
The file "TheLegendOfZelda.NZLP.sra" with the saved game progress was matching the filename "TheLegendOfZelda.NZLP.z64" of my ROM file.
I already knew, that this is important to sucessfull load the correct game progress.

To solve my issue, I changed the file extension of my save game file *sra to *.srm.
Also I deleted the file attributes read only and archived and set a correct modification date and time.
Afterwards I loaded this file to the RAM using the Everdrive menu.
Finally it was working all fine.

In my opinion the retrode 2 in connection with the Everdrive 64 is the perfect solution to backup the original games with their corresponding saved progress status legally and preserve it for a long period of time and stay be able to play them on the original hardware.

Thank you for your assistance and this great products.

Offline nuu

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1301
  • Karma: +60/-2
    • View Profile
SRAM files on my ED64 all uses the *.sra extension. Maybe it was the attributes that fixed it, but it's weird that none of the other save files needed to be fixed. Unless it was the only SRAM file maybe?

Offline icebreake

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Karma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Hello,

I forgot to tell everyone that I´m using an everdrive X7.
That should explain the confusion regarding the file extension *.sra and *.srm.

V3 saves SRAM save file extension are .sra

X7 saves SRAM save file extension are .srm

you need make sure save have correct extension

you can just change extension



On my everdrive x7 Zelda OoT has the only *.srm (*.sra) save file.
But it is absolutely not necessary to swap the byteorder of any save file for my roms. All were working without byte swapping.
I do not use an emulator software on my PC. I just transfered the rom and save data of my game cartridges to my new everdrive x7 for a backup.
Adjusting the byte order seems to be only necessary if an emulator is used and the save files should also work on the everdrive.

Thank you all for your kind help.