Author Topic: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly  (Read 13404 times)

Offline Owlmus

• View Profile
Will these VPW2  English by SK Stylez and VPW 2 Vreem work on a 2.5 and save correctly if you add these texts to the file?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Yes, v2 and v2.5 (but maybe not the old v1, I forgot) both uses the save_db file and supports all these save types.

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2020, 05:24 AM »
Just wanted to throw this out there.
I recommend adding this line of text into save_db.txt

0x16082F95=3   (Mario Artist Talent Studio - T+Eng - N64DD)

On my end using the ED64 V3, trying to start LuigiBlood's English Translation of Mario Artist Talent Studio without this line of text would always freeze at the 64DD logo, as it has no idea how the game should save. So it hangs...
Adding this line of text will fix the problem, and Mario Artist Talent Studio English Translation now works properly as it knows that it should save via SRAM.
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2020, 09:54 AM »
Since the 64DD has been brought up...Does anyone know how to get custom tracks and vehicles to save on the F-Zero X Expansion Kit? There was a fix on the unofficial OS but I can’t seem to get anything to work on the X7.

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2020, 01:02 PM »
Huh, that's odd...
I do know that when it comes to 64DD cartridge ports, you do need to press the reset button on the console if you want to save stuff like custom courses and custom vehicles in F-Zero X Expansion Kit. Made plenty of random courses in the past especially reversed versions of the official courses and such.
Let me know if resetting the console after creating a custom course or vehicle ingame helps on your end or not.

Offline Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 05:29 PM »
No, resetting doesn’t work. I can save progress in the cups and the names of custom tracks and courses but if I try to load them I get an error message saying “file corrupted”. The ALT64 OS had a custom save to ROM+SRAM but that OS doesn’t work on X7.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 08:36 PM »
Just wanted to throw this out there.
I recommend adding this line of text into save_db.txt

0x16082F95=3   (Mario Artist Talent Studio - T+Eng - N64DD)

On my end using the ED64 V3, trying to start LuigiBlood's English Translation of Mario Artist Talent Studio without this line of text would always freeze at the 64DD logo, as it has no idea how the game should save. So it hangs...
Adding this line of text will fix the problem, and Mario Artist Talent Studio English Translation now works properly as it knows that it should save via SRAM.

Thanks for that. I've added it to the list in the first post.

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18 AM »
No, resetting doesn’t work. I can save progress in the cups and the names of custom tracks and courses but if I try to load them I get an error message saying “file corrupted”. The ALT64 OS had a custom save to ROM+SRAM but that OS doesn’t work on X7.
That's honestly really weird... I went and used one of my spare SD cards to test out the new firmware update v3.05 to see what's going on. Made a simple custom course within F-Zero X Expansion Kit as a means to test out 64DD Cartridge Port saving on there. Weirdly enough, resetting the console doesn't work for me either on the X7 v3.05 OS, and I'm using a V3. Seems like another issue that Krikzz needs to patch up in a future firmware release, as the earlier official v2.13 OS allowed you to save stuff made within 64DD Cartridge Ports.

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2020, 03:34 AM »
Have you tried adding 'DD=31' to you 'save_db.txt' file as outlined in the readme of the new OS? I have attempted to make it clear here: https://github.com/krikzz/ED64/blob/master/docs/rom_config_database.md
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2020, 03:56 AM »
Have you tried adding 'DD=31' to you 'save_db.txt' file as outlined in the readme of the new OS? I have attempted to make it clear here: https://github.com/krikzz/ED64/blob/master/docs/rom_config_database.md
Yes. "DD=31" is in my save_db.txt file, and that doesn't make a difference unfortunately. When saving custom courses and vehicles onto F-Zero X Expansion Kit, it's normally supposed to rewrite certain sections of the ROM itself, not solely save in SRAM. The SRAM is used for stuff like keeping Grand Prix cup trophies won for each racer (win all trophies on Master with every racer and something cool happens), X Cup unlockable, Master Difficulty unlockable, Personal Best Times, etc.
Resetting the console doesn't seem to have the same behavior like it does on the older OS v2.13 and your Unofficial-Official OS which also works as it should with 64DD Cartridge Ports.
I should mention that when I tried making a test course in F-Zero X Expansion Kit, and resetting the console again, the course disappeared the next time I booted up the game so it didn't save the course on v3.05 OS.

Offline Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Well I’m pleased it’s not just an issue specific to me. Hopefully someone can come up with a custom save type or we can get it included in a future firmware update.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2020, 04:52 PM »

What about pre-RTC Everdrive 64s? Should 'DD=31      All 64DD games SRAM+RTC' or at least 'DD=3      All 64DD games SRAM' be added to the save_db.txt file?

And if entries to the save_db.txt file that only apply to certain Everdrive 64 versions are included in the save_db.txt file on a different ED64 (i.e. if they are included in the contents of the first post in this thread, and are used by people with different ED64s) then will the inapplicable (to the ED64 currently being used) lines simply be ignored by the OS software?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2020, 04:44 PM »

What about pre-RTC Everdrive 64s? Should 'DD=31      All 64DD games SRAM+RTC' or at least 'DD=3      All 64DD games SRAM' be added to the save_db.txt file?

And if entries to the save_db.txt file that only apply to certain Everdrive 64 versions are included in the save_db.txt file on a different ED64 (i.e. if they are included in the contents of the first post in this thread, and are used by people with different ED64s) then will the inapplicable (to the ED64 currently being used) lines simply be ignored by the OS software?

Old and new save_db formats is cross compatible. Old OS will ignore second number, new OS always will assume 0 if there is no second number. For pre-rtc everdrives rtc setting just have no effect. You can check Rom Info menu to make sure that settings was applied to certain file.

That's honestly really weird... I went and used one of my spare SD cards to test out the new firmware update v3.05 to see what's going on. Made a simple custom course within F-Zero X Expansion Kit as a means to test out 64DD Cartridge Port saving on there. Weirdly enough, resetting the console doesn't work for me either on the X7 v3.05 OS, and I'm using a V3. Seems like another issue that Krikzz needs to patch up in a future firmware release, as the earlier official v2.13 OS allowed you to save stuff made within 64DD Cartridge Ports.

Hm, weird. I tested disk saves using mario paint and it worked fine.

Edit:
I just tried Fzero and seem it worked fine. I created course, reset the system, then back to the game and created course was here. After power cycle course still was there.
ROM CRC HI: C6E39C0A
ROM Name: NUD-EFZE-USA_2.n64
Tested on ED64-X7, OS v3.05.
I did not made any changes in save_db

Edit2:
I just realized that 64dd disk saves can not be handled on v2x/v3x using OS v3.xx because i forced to reconfigure fpga at each boot for legacy hardware, but 64dd save table get lost after fpga reconfig. I should find some way to make it work without fpga reconfig
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:13 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2020, 09:21 PM »

I just tried Fzero and seem it worked fine. I created course, reset the system, then back to the game and created course was here. After power cycle course still was there.
ROM CRC HI: C6E39C0A
ROM Name: NUD-EFZE-USA_2.n64
Tested on ED64-X7, OS v3.05.
I did not made any changes in save_db

Amazing! I tried the ROM with the same name and the vanilla save db and it worked. Thanks a million!

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2020, 09:48 PM »

Old and new save_db formats is cross compatible. Old OS will ignore second number, new OS always will assume 0 if there is no second number. For pre-rtc everdrives rtc setting just have no effect. You can check Rom Info menu to make sure that settings was applied to certain file.

Great! Thanks for the information.

Actually, one thing I've always wondered about the Everdrive 64 is, is the operating system written completely in N64 code, or is any actual program code executed by the FPGA, and if so, what processor type does the FPGA have (if any)? I know nothing about FPGAs, so apologies if the answer is boringly obvious, but I'm curious if you, Krikzz, are conversant in machine code for every machine you make an Everdrive for (NES, SNES, Megadrive, Gameboy, etc) or if the FPGA does most of the work, and is standard (at least to a point) across the range of Everdrives. I can't see how you could make an Everdrive without having to also write a hardware level program for that particular console (and so in that console's CPU code), but then I don't know how capable FPGAs are.

I have heard that FPGAs can be made to emulate almost exactly any given console, and I'm hoping that one day this will become a reality with the N64, as that way maybe we can get a third party N64 FPGA based console with a HDMI output. Because finding a decent HDMI output kit for a PAL N64 nowdays is almost impossible, and Nintendo don't seem at all to want to sell us any sort of solution.