Author Topic: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly  (Read 13405 times)

Offline jonesalmighty

• View Profile
    • GitHub
Re: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2020, 12:54 AM »
The menu is an N64 ROM written exactly the same way that any game for the N64 would be written. The FPGA is like a computer BIOS, that acts like an interface between software and Hardware. It performs the really low level stuff... A normal game ROM sees the FPGA firmware the same way as its original cartridge would normally see it (after being setup using the config like defined in save_db.txt) and the menu has extra knowledge so it can manipulate the config before the game...
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth...

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2020, 02:12 PM »
So Krikzz has to be able to natively code for every console that he makes an Everdrive for (the NES, the SNES, the N64, the PC Engine, etc)? That is impressive. It's not like you can get, say, C/C++ across the board, so in many or all cases, he's writing pure machine code, I assume.

Of course, if we were in the movie Independence Day, then every computer and console (be it made by humans or aliens) would all have the same basic CPU code set and memory configuration (how else did Jeff Goldblum's character hack the alien computer using only the hardware of, and the knowledge gained from, human made computers?).

Actually, it would be great if computers were the way Hollywood thinks that they are. There would be no crashing, and every time you searched the internet for something you'd find the right answer on the first page of your google/non-google search, hacking would involve playing a simple game like moving a very low resolution character through a series of large yellow blocks, fixing any computer problem would take thirty seconds at most (and speaking as someone who works in I.T., I *really* wish that last one were true  :o), printers never get paper jammed in movies, and no one has to wait for a software update to download and install that then has a good chance of accidentally stopping some of the hardware from working (*cough* Windows 10 *cough*).

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2020, 02:20 PM »
Another way to see it, is that the FPGA simply turns into the hardware part of the N64 cartridge. It's very flexible as it can turn into any cartridge a game expects.

The OS ROM in all Everdrives are basically just a normal "game", so yup Krikzz probably knows a lot of the assembly languages and the hardware used in all the different consoles. In the case of the N64 I think you can get away with coding the OS in C though. That's how commercial games were made for the PS1, N64, GBA and newer systems, but on anything before that assembly were the norm.

NES, SNES and PC Engine shares the same assembly language family (65x family), and so does Game Boy and all Sega systems up to the Mega Drive (8080/Z80 family, but Mega Drive also uses Motorola family for its main CPU). But the hardware for all these systems is different and must be known to be able to make anything on them.

I think the computer geniuses in movies are just very fast to figure out a new system, rather than all computers using the same architecture.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2020, 06:45 PM »
Another way to see it, is that the FPGA simply turns into the hardware part of the N64 cartridge. It's very flexible as it can turn into any cartridge a game expects.

The OS ROM in all Everdrives are basically just a normal "game", so yup Krikzz probably knows a lot of the assembly languages and the hardware used in all the different consoles. In the case of the N64 I think you can get away with coding the OS in C though. That's how commercial games were made for the PS1, N64, GBA and newer systems, but on anything before that assembly were the norm.

NES, SNES and PC Engine shares the same assembly language family (65x family), and so does Game Boy and all Sega systems up to the Mega Drive (8080/Z80 family, but Mega Drive also uses Motorola family for its main CPU). But the hardware for all these systems is different and must be known to be able to make anything on them.

I see, thanks.

I think the computer geniuses in movies are just very fast to figure out a new system, rather than all computers using the same architecture.

No, in Independence Day, the bloke who writes the virus has no time or chance to learn anything, he just comes up with the idea of using a computer virus to destroy the otherwise more or less invincible alien invaders, pulls out an Apple Mac, and writes the virus using Mac software. Still, to be fair (though I personally didn't like the movie anyway), the galaxy-wide plot hole about the human hero using a human made computer to create a virus that accessed and successfully destroyed alien computers and equipment might not have been anywhere near as stupid as it ended up being. Still pretty stupid, just much less so.

See, apparently there was a scene cut from the movie where we find out that actually all human computers and computer breakthroughs came from alien computers that the American's salvaged from a crashed UFO and kept in area 51. So human computers are, in the movie, derived from alien computers.

Of course, even if this were so, then it wouldn't explain how Jeff Goldblum's character managed to know exactly what memory addresses to attack, what operating system protection threads (if any) to disable or modify, how to actually control the hardware of the alien computers, etc. Let alone explain why a single UFO from nearly fifty years before would be running the exact same OS, with the same entry points and protection, as the entire alien armies ships and equipment, regardless of their size or purpose. But it would have made the hacking part of the story just very unlikely rather than Elvis-flying-to-Mars-on-the-Loch-Ness-Monster unlikely.

I don't know if the scene was filmed and cut from the end movie, or if it was cut before it was filmed, but they should have included it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:30 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2020, 12:06 AM »
In other words, the only scene that explains the plot hole was cut and there ended up being no explanation for it. People watching movies usually don't sweat the technical details too much, but yeah this is pretty dumb. I can understand why they cut that scene from the movie though.

Speaking of Independence Day on a N64 forum, although that movie wasn't great, it did inspire some cool scenes in Star Fox 64.

Offline IRL Random Hajile

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
Random post here! Here's another thingy to add to save_db.txt:

0x1BD1EBFB=1   (Tower & Shaft (USA) English Translation)

Been diggin' this Aleck64 game, simple to play but pretty fun! Though Zoinkity's Tower & Shaft English Translation won't save correctly without forcing EEPROM 4k to it first, at least on the V3. This should fix that!
"BH75001, Random Hajile... that's
R-A-N-D-O-M H-A-J-I-L-E."

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Random post here! Here's another thingy to add to save_db.txt:

0x1BD1EBFB=1   (Tower & Shaft (USA) English Translation)

Been diggin' this Aleck64 game, simple to play but pretty fun! Though Zoinkity's Tower & Shaft English Translation won't save correctly without forcing EEPROM 4k to it first, at least on the V3. This should fix that!

I've just added that to the first post, thanks!

I've also just sent you a PM, for when you have a minute.