Author Topic: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly  (Read 9361 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Added VF=3 for the Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 English Translation, as detailed in:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8561.0

Offline supersign

• View Profile
Added VF=3 for the Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 English Translation, as detailed in:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8561.0
Er, slight mistake, there's already an English translation of VPW2 a few years ago by S.K. Stylez which uses A2=3.
The Freem edition - although translated - is unrelated to S.K. Stylez' project.

However Startrinket released their beta English translation for the first VPW today.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:02 PM by supersign »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
OK. Should I change the text to:

VF=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling 64  2 English Translation)

and should I also add:

A2=3      (Earlier Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 2 English Translation)

for anyone who wants to try the latter?

Also, the VPW2 freem webpage seems to show a new version of that mod, released today, for anyone who's interested.

Offline supersign

• View Profile
OK. Should I change the text to:

VF=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling 64  2 English Translation)

and should I also add:

A2=3      (Earlier Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 2 English Translation)

for anyone who wants to try the latter?

Also, the VPW2 freem webpage seems to show a new version of that mod, released today, for anyone who's interested.
VF=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 Freem Edition)

A2=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 English translation by S.K. Stylez)

I remember making a wrestler on S.K. Stylez' translation but it didn't save my creation because I didn't put in A2=3. Adding it in fixes it so that's good. Edit: I'm not sure why I'd said that, I need to check again.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:22 PM by supersign »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Changed now, thanks.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
"A2" isn't a unique ID for the English translation though, the original rom is using it too, so saying it's for the English translation in the comment field implies that it's different from the clean rom. If the hacker changed the save type, it must be added with the CRC for the patched rom instead of ID.

Freem's version seems to have changed both save type and ID though, so we have to trust Freem that "VF" doesn't conflict with any other games (or one can just add the CRC instead).

I've modified the first post as Nuu asked, so it's clearer to read, and the games are listed alphabetically.
Great! It's much easier to read. I see the spaces are still weird though. I suggest to use code tags for this. It makes the font mono-spaced so that everything will be lined up perfectly as long as you use equal number of spaces for each comment. It also makes it clear what to copy.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Re: Here are the known fixes for games/hacks/etc to save and load correctly
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2020, 08:38 PM »
Updated to add:

NVPE=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling English Translation Beta v1.75)
NVPJ=3      (Virtual Pro Wrestling Original)

for Startrinket's English translation of that game. The second code is to allow the untranslated (Japanese) version to save correctly too.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2020, 06:34 PM »
As it turns out the full 4-letter game code doesn't work. Only the two middle letters (which is an abbreviation of the game's title). So NVPE=3 and NVPJ=3 should be changed to just one VP=3 entry.

The first Japanese-exclusive Pokemon Stadium game is incorrectly set to FLASH by the ED64. It should be 32kByte SRAM. Add the following line to save_db:
Code: [Select]
PS=3 (Pokemon Stadium, Japan-only title)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2020, 10:36 PM »
OK, I've changed the two Virtual Pro Wrestling entries to:

0xC130FFE8=3    (Virtual Pro Wrestling English Translation Beta v1.77)
0x045C08C4=3    (Virtual Pro Wrestling Original)

and also added:

PS=3 (Pokemon Stadium, Japan-only title)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Added save data for the newly released prototype Viewpoint 2064, as linked in the thread http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9766.0. Thanks to DustyK112 for the announcement.

Offline Nobody09

• Programmer and tester
    • View Profile
This fixes Super Robot Taisen 64 original.
S4=3 (Super Robot Taisen 64)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:18 PM by Nobody09 »
Flashcarts I own: EZ Flash Ω, Everdrive MD v3, Everdrive 64 X7, SD2SNES Rev. F, R4i Gold 3DS (r4ids.cn)

Consoles I own:
Sega Genesis Model 1 x2, Sega 32X, PS1, PS2 Slim x2 (SCPH-75001 and SCPH-77001), NES, SNES x2, Nintendo 64, Wii, GBA, DS Lite, DSi XL

Others: PSP (Brick), Dreamcast (Disc error)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
This fixes Super Robot Taisen 64 original.
S4=3 (Super Robot Taisen 64)

Thanks (I'd never even heard of the game before), but it's probably best to use:

0x1649D810=3   (Super Robot Taisen 64)

instead, as S4=3 isn't necessarily specific to just that game - it might well be, but it's possible that another game with a different save requirement might also be recognised by the value 'S4', and confuse the ED64. The value '1649D810' (which I found by using method number one in this post:

https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6125.0 )

is unique to the game rom.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
I don't think there would be any conflicts with two different games using the same code, as the codes were assigned by Nintendo uniquely for every licensed game.

The problem with using the CRC is that it will only affect one specific rom. Sometimes there are several revisions of a game or regional versions that uses the same code and if you use CRC without reason, you miss those other versions of the game. Therefore I think it's better to use the code unless there is a problem with it.

Reasons to use CRC is when for example two different regional versions of the same game (with the same code) uses a different save type, or if some homebrew or hack uses a code that conflicts with a licensed game.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
Added:

0x8233301C=1   (Puyo Puyo Sun 64 English patch)

Thanks to Supersign for this information.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
PY=1Would also work, and might be better as the patch doesn't seem to change anything regarding saving. It seems there is a homebrew game (Pyoro 64) that also uses PY as game code, but it probably also uses save type 1.