Author Topic: Elite?  (Read 5228 times)

Offline Redifer

• DO! BASEBALL!
    • View Profile
    • Game Sack
Elite?
« on: May 15, 2013, 10:34 AM »
Not sure how many of you have played this cool little game. It's amazing what it's doing on the NES without any special mappers, cheater chips and less than a megabit of memory. Fast-moving wireframe 3D graphics! Unfortunately it's a PAL game. It'll play on an NTSC console, but the bottom half of the screen is garbage. I don't suppose there would be any way to fix this to run properly on NTSC consoles, would there?

But you lucky PAL users should try this out and marvel what this weak machine was able to do with so little!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Elite?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 01:59 PM »
I think it happen not just because developer forgot to test it with ntsc systems, it must be happens cuz pal machines is more powerfull. PAL systems has more vblank time to update the graphics, probably NTSC vblank is too short

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55 PM »
I've not yet tried the PAL version of Elite, but I think I remember reading somewhere that Ian Bell (one half of the programming team who designed and wrote the original BBC model B version of the game) said that the NES version was his favourite version of the game.

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:21 PM »
I had this on a 5 inch floppy disk with a massive manual in the day. Much better on pc IMO
Mad music and,controls are better
Nes version works fine on my pal system
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline oRBIT2002

• View Profile
    • nes.goondocks.se
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Elite for NES is extremly optimized and probably uses every clockcycle available (it requires a very accurate emulator to run properly).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:20 PM by oRBIT2002 »