Author Topic: Very odd controller issues with non-TMSS Genesis and Everdrive MD  (Read 2768 times)

Offline StriderSubzero

• View Profile
Hi all,

I've had the Everdrive MD for awhile and have had no issues with it. I used a later High Definition Graphics Genesis console for awhile, as well as a Model 2 Genesis, with the Everdrive and had no problems. A few months ago I picked up an early High Definition Graphics model, what's usually referred to as a "Non-TMSS" model as it does not include the opening black screen + white text (this one: http://segaretro.org/images/0/04/Tmss.png).

There are several differences with these, including the sound chip being considered overall better. The issue I'm having is that if I start the console with no controller plugged in, or a three button controller, or a Master System controller, the menu scrolls up endlessly. More seriously, if I try to use the Master System controller in any game, the cursor is being pressed upwards constantly and I can't stop it, or go down at all. It is not an issue with the controller, because I cross-tested the Everdrive and SMS controller with my other consoles.

I no longer have my Power Base Converter so I can't test a real SMS game on the console, so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the Everdrive or the Genesis itself. Are there known compatibility issues with SMS controllers and early Genesis consoles? 

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Very odd controller issues with non-TMSS Genesis and Everdrive MD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 04:32 AM »
Do you have original Genesis games? try the same using normal games (to discard an Everdrive issue)
If the same thing happens then the console could be defective (perhaps a short circuit in the controller input pins or PCB vias caused by PCB corrosion or something else)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL