Author Topic: Games not saving on SD2SNES  (Read 8574 times)

Offline AlexHayate

• View Profile
Games not saving on SD2SNES
« on: March 01, 2017, 12:11 AM »
Just recieved my sd2snes in the mail yesterday. It's all good and proper, but games wont save, at all. I tried Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Rockman and Forte, Mario's Picross and other games that should save high scores. The firmware I installed was 0.1.7d, and I added a "saves" folder to the base, and sd2snes files. Hasn't changed a thing. The OS settings wont save either. I tried it in both a PAL snes and NTSC snes. If anyone could help, i'd really appreciate it.

Offline opt2not

• View Profile
Re: Games not saving on SD2SNES
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 12:20 AM »
Before powering off your SNES, try going back to the SD2SNES Menu first.  I believe the saves will only write this way (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Offline AlexHayate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21 AM »
Forgot to mention, i'v tried that. Holding the reset until the lights all light up.

Offline tic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 02:41 AM »
sd2snes have diferent  mode  of saving dependent of the Game.

1). Normal game, the fpga is examining continusly the ram when It detects a change it save to sd. after few seconds  the game save to sd2snes ram.

2). If a game uses the save RAM. The fpga save the Game periodically after x seconds.  When this happend the red led in sd2snes is on all the time in Game.

3). Fpga not save to the sd until you return to menĂº or press reset in msu-1 games. If you Witch off you lost progresa.

I read time ago in this forum, sd2snes have a unused block of ram powered  by the battery. But i not know if ikari have planned moved the saves to these block   to  not lost last save if you switch off the console.

If you use. SD card make sure is not write protected
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:44 AM by tic »

Offline AlexHayate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 06:43 AM »
The red light constantly blinks, and will continue to blink even a good few mins after a save has happened. I have not played any games with the red light constantly on. I haven't played any msu-1 games.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Blinking denotes a file system error when trying to save the file to SD Card. It should be a number of blinks - then a pause - then the same number of blinks again - etc. How many times does it blink between each pause?
If 10 times, the sd2snes considers your card write protected. If it isn't write protected, possible causes are a faulty write protect switch in the card slot or a bad connection between card slot and PCB.

Offline AlexHayate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54 PM »
Alright, so I tested multiple sd cards (mainly micro) and the 32gig sandisk sd I was using will not run without copy protection slid to on. Otherwise the yellow light stays on. Just means i'll be getting a new SD card soon. Thanks for your help :)

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:20 AM »
To write to your SD card you need to disable the read only tab, it has to be near the cards edge where the pins are located.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline snakeatermgs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 08:18 AM »
Alright, so I tested multiple sd cards (mainly micro) and the 32gig sandisk sd I was using will not run without copy protection slid to on. Otherwise the yellow light stays on. Just means i'll be getting a new SD card soon. Thanks for your help :)

were you able to get it to work??

I'm still struggling.

Trying to save on Super Mario World right at the beggining where you press the yellow exclamation sign and then i save...then do a quick Reset and the game shows saved in the Game Menu, but then do a long press reset to see if game is saved and Slot shows as EMPTY in game menu. I don't know what to do.

Offline AlexHayate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 02:20 AM »

were you able to get it to work??

I'm still struggling.

Trying to save on Super Mario World right at the beggining where you press the yellow exclamation sign and then i save...then do a quick Reset and the game shows saved in the Game Menu, but then do a long press reset to see if game is saved and Slot shows as EMPTY in game menu. I don't know what to do.

I fixed it by trying a new SD card. For some reason it'd not write saves to the 12 dollar one from china. Who would have saw that coming.

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 04:49 AM »
Glad everything worked out
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline skins4thewin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 03:18 PM »
Never ever buy storage media from China.  They are almost always fake and likely don't hold near the space they claim.  These easily become corrupt and are a complete waste of money.  Always buy storage media from U.S. sellers, and even then make sure it is advertised as being 100% authentic.  Buying SD, MicroSD or USB drives off Ebay is always a gamble.  I have gotten fake cards even from U.S. sellers before, so be wary.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:20 PM by skins4thewin »