Poll

SuperFX Vs SA-1, if you could add compatibility for one, which would you choose?

SuperFX (includes SuperFX2)
14 (38.9%)
SA-1
22 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Voting closed: March 27, 2017, 10:59 PM

Author Topic: SuperFX Vs SA-1, if you could add compatibility for one, which would you choose?  (Read 16693 times)

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Super FX, because this:

One thing I'd like to add to camp-SuperFX is that it could help homebrewers develop polygonal games for the SNES. As you know, some homebrewers use this as a development kit and having another option for making polygonal styled games would be a refreshing addition to the homebrew scene.

and also because it's doable, I've never even heard SA-1 being mentioned as a future SD2SNES development.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline BlueCanti

• View Profile
Who will step up and implement this?  batari, the inventor of SD2SNES, is not.  In the years since the cart was unveiled, ONE person offered to take it up, but didn't want to buy the expensive cart.  SD2SNES is open source, anyone can take up the task.  Hasn't happened by now, very low chance it ever will.  These threads do nothing.

Which upsets me as a new member, as I bought the SD2SNES in hopes it would have the Super FX and SA-1 chips implemented.  If I actually knew how to do this kinda thing, I'd take the project on.

Offline scott64

• View Profile
I bought an SD2SNES mainly to play Mario World hacks. Obviously Mario World doesnt use the SA-1 but Im seeing more and more newer hacks have SA-1 patched in, apparently it reduces lag caused by too many sprites on screen among other things. Its a bummer not being able to play them on real hardware, but Im not even sure if these hacks would run on real hardware anyways, as it seems like the SA-1 patch was designed with emulators in mind.

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
The thought of playing Marvelous in english on original hardware. One can only dream  ;D

Offline sTo0z

• View Profile
I actually vote for SuperFX, simply because I'd love to enjoy StarFox again on real hardware without tracking down the actual cart, and I'd also love to run the SF2 roms out there on real hardware.  ;D

I've beaten SMRPG so many times, I have no interest in ever playing that again, the rest of SA-1 games don't interest me.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
For me its a very close Super FX because its probably easier to implement. How ever Super Mario RPG is my favorite SNES Game of all time. One chip in particular id love to see is the SPC7110. Ikari told me that the sd2snes's built in real time clock is based on the SPC7110 so It's most likely doable also. I can't say for sure since I'm not programmer but time will tell. It's used in the game Tengai Makyō Zero. The translation for which just hit the final stretch. All that's left from what I've been reading in the thread for it over at romhacking is the beta testing of the final rom.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:22 AM by EpicDave »
All I wanna do is shred.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
https://youtu.be/j6sow5atB5w           SA-1 may very well be a possibility in the future. Maybe not in the sd2snes but some people around the net have been working on it. In this video a hack is being tested. But I read somewhere that somebody is trying to reverse engineer the sa-1 and do a board. Let's see how that goes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:46 PM by jjoepr »

Offline OneBagTravel

• Sony KV-20FV300
  • Has the Perrier gone straight to my head?
    • View Profile
    • OneBagTravel.com
https://youtu.be/j6sow5atB5w           SA-1 may very well be a possibility in the future. Maybe not in the sd2snes but some people around the net have been working on it. In this video a hack is being tested. But I read somewhere that somebody is trying to reverse engineer the sa-1 and do a board. Let's see how that goes.
It looks like the guy is trying to just mount EPROMs to an SA-1 board which isn't that crazy.
Travel light & smart. SFC using HD Retrovision component cables.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
Yes and there is also someone working on reverse engineering the sa-1 chip itself and was in the process of making a prototype board. But I haven't heard anything else about this project.

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Yes and there is also someone working on reverse engineering the sa-1 chip itself and was in the process of making a prototype board. But I haven't heard anything else about this project.

It's a mountain's worth of work, for what gain? 

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
I'm happy with my sd2snes as it is . :)

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
Sa-1 hack was not working fully so I watched the full video. Guess there is a Brazilian hacker that can help I didn't catch his name on the video.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
So it would seem that to access the ROM on an SA-1 cartridge (Super Mario RPG, Kirby's Dreamland 3, ...), the SA-1 must first validate that it is talking to the SNES via its CIC. I believe it also verifies the CIC's region.

Offline jjoepr

• View Profile
The Super Accelerator 1 (SA-1) chip was used in a number of SNES games, including Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.[9]
Similar to the 5A22 CPU in the SNES console, the SA-1 contains a processor core based on the 65C816 with several programmable timers.[2] The SA-1 does not function as a slave CPU for the 5A22; both can interrupt each other independently.
The SA-1 also features a range of enhancements over the standard 65C816:
Upgraded 10 MHz clock speed, up from a max of 3.58 MHz
Faster RAM
Memory mapping capabilities
Limited data storage and compression
New DMA modes such as bitmap to bit plane transfer
Built-in CIC lockout, for copy protection and regional marketing control

So it's much more than just an enhancement chip.
All of the rom cannot be accessed at one time by the sa-1 so it also performs the function of bank switching. Which means that great care must be used when programming for the sa-1 in order to not access the wrong data bank or else a crash. So it seems sa-1 will be years away and the only chip possible is the super fx. So I guess repro carts are the way for sa-1 for now.