Author Topic: How about the SWITCH Krikzz??  (Read 9295 times)

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
How about the SWITCH Krikzz??
« on: March 14, 2017, 10:08 PM »
This looks encouraging....any chance of a (very small  :)  ) Everdrive??

http://wololo.net/2017/03/13/nintendo-switch-hack-proof-concept-nintendo-switch-webkit-exploit-published/

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
Re: How about the SWITCH Krikzz??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:22 PM »
The Switch has not been 'hacked.' Not in any way that would allow for playing "backups." Long way to go (probably). And when/if it ever is, it'll be with custom firmware the same as what can be done with the 3DS and Wii U. Flashcarts are great on systems with static firmware, but not modern systems that can continually update and patch vulnerabilities.

Offline TonyN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:28 AM »
With guys like this around, he cracked the Saturn after 20 years!
Watch this space......... ;D

https://youtu.be/jOyfZex7B3E
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:45 AM by TonyN »

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 03:25 AM »
This looks encouraging....any chance of a (very small  :)  ) Everdrive??

http://wololo.net/2017/03/13/nintendo-switch-hack-proof-concept-nintendo-switch-webkit-exploit-published/

Honestly that would be completely useless. The only reason for a flash cart to exist is for videogame consoles that did not have an exploitable OS, or external/internal storage capabilities. Any other system with storage or an OS can be hacked, thus renders any everdrive useless. examples:
+ PS2 plays games off a hard drive, or SD card through an adapter using OPL
+ The Wii plays games off SD cards or ext hard drives using various loaders. Even GC games through nintendont
+ The Xbox plays games off a hard drive, same for the xbox 360 with the RGH chip.
+ PS3 jailbroken plays games off a hard drive, non-jailbroken PS3s can have an ODE installed, in order to play from a hard drive.

If or When the Switch is hacked, it will only need an external drive to play games on it.
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 04:53 AM »
With newer consoles, they'll usually have either a USB port or some kind of expansion to add additional storage space, since some people like the convenience of being able to download the game right on or even a day before the actual release date.

Yes, the Switch has been...exploited, for lack of a better term, thus providing future hackers to further delve into getting homebrew to work and, eventually, playing ROMs. But it's too soon to ask for a flash card solution for it. 

Pretty much since the Wii, the actual firmware on consoles can be hacked and modified so that you're able to use the internal SD card reader or a USB drive. I'm sure this will also happen with the Switch, since the max storage will be 2TB, according to Nintendo themselves. There's also that possibility that you might be able to go through the USB-C connector on the Switch itself to hack, but I digress.

I just recently hacked my Wii U, just because it was at the end of it's life (support wise from Nintendo). I just followed a guide online and am now using a USB flash drive to play some older games....except LoZ:BotW, I bought that.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 04:03 AM »
I just recently hacked my Wii U, just because it was at the end of it's life (support wise from Nintendo). I just followed a guide online and am now using a USB flash drive to play some older games....except LoZ:BotW, I bought that.

Have actually been thinking about finding a used WiiU to mess with. My daughter has a LoZ Edition Wii U, and I won't touch it. But the prospect of having Wii U, Wii, and Gamecube games all playing natively in a handheld (even if it is 'landlocked' to my home) is hard to resist.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 05:44 AM »
Have actually been thinking about finding a used WiiU to mess with. My daughter has a LoZ Edition Wii U, and I won't touch it. But the prospect of having Wii U, Wii, and Gamecube games all playing natively in a handheld (even if it is 'landlocked' to my home) is hard to resist.

I haven't messed with Wii and GC yet, but if you're in the market for Wii U hacking, start looking at Haxchi. You will need to purchase and download a legit VC game in order to get the hack to work, but it's totally worth it (no more going online to enable hacks).

I can tell you that Nintendont (GCN loader) does work well on a Wii though.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31 PM »

I haven't messed with Wii and GC yet, but if you're in the market for Wii U hacking, start looking at Haxchi. You will need to purchase and download a legit VC game in order to get the hack to work, but it's totally worth it (no more going online to enable hacks).

I can tell you that Nintendont (GCN loader) does work well on a Wii though.

Thanks for the pointers. I know where to research. Probably should act on that e-shop game. (I assume it's a particular game that's needed?) Well aware of Nintendont on Wii, I use it.

Edit: and thanks to your post, I finally got around to updating all the softmod files on the Wii tonight (Thank God for ModMii). Hadn't messed with it for a couple years.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 04:07 AM by Hanafuda »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 04:21 AM »
Jesus, people. Not even one month has passed.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 05:18 AM »
Jesus, people. Not even one month has passed.

Gotta start it sooner than later.

I'm predicting CFW before the first full year of the console's release.

Offline Estil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I'm not so sure about doing this Everdrive sort of thing for active consoles... (as Jimbo from the South Park flag episode would say)I mean we're not looking to be pirates or steal game sales of active/current games, Everdrives/roms and such are about preserving history!

Offline Kidpanda

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 08:46 PM »
As Goomba said, it will most likely be a CFW hack to get games to run but at the same time, you'll be playing catchup with Nintendo patching things out as they go. Remember when R4s were locked out of DS systems years ago? I'm all for homebrew and such on a current system as it spurs creativity for software that otherwise may never be made for it. But to just steal games cause you don't want to support the company that wants to pay it's employees? That's no bueno and what can make it where you don't see games from those teams ever again. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about destroying the second hand market as there is no money for the dev to make there, but I'm not down for killing a company who is trying to put food on the table. Stew on that for a bit before you want to hop on the Flying Dutchman.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 09:35 PM »
...Don't get me wrong, I'm all about destroying the second hand market as there is no money for the dev to make there...

Seriously? So you wouldn't buy a used car, a used house, a used book, a used TV, etc?

There's no moral or legal reason why games companies should be paid more than once for the same item, no more than there for any other item, be it a house, necklace, DVD, vinyl record, etc.

It's only the games developers who think that games somehow differ from any other form of media or physical item in that respect, and for you to agree with them means that you are willing to have your legal rights as a purchaser and an owner taken away from you. You own what you buy, and are free to sell it if you like, and if that right is ever taken away from you (as you seem to wish it would be) then that would be just the beginning of the erosion of your civil rights. Today you can't buy a used game, tomorrow you can't buy a used car, the day after that you aren't legally allowed to own anything, and instead you only 'rent' everything you buy, even though you pay just as much for it then as you did back in the days when you own what you bought.

Offline Kidpanda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 03:52 AM »
...Don't get me wrong, I'm all about destroying the second hand market as there is no money for the dev to make there...

Seriously? So you wouldn't buy a used car, a used house, a used book, a used TV, etc?

There's no moral or legal reason why games companies should be paid more than once for the same item, no more than there for any other item, be it a house, necklace, DVD, vinyl record, etc.

It's only the games developers who think that games somehow differ from any other form of media or physical item in that respect, and for you to agree with them means that you are willing to have your legal rights as a purchaser and an owner taken away from you. You own what you buy, and are free to sell it if you like, and if that right is ever taken away from you (as you seem to wish it would be) then that would be just the beginning of the erosion of your civil rights. Today you can't buy a used game, tomorrow you can't buy a used car, the day after that you aren't legally allowed to own anything, and instead you only 'rent' everything you buy, even though you pay just as much for it then as you did back in the days when you own what you bought.

I think you're missing the point, the second hand market is full of gougers and price speculators. On top of that, try to steal a car, furniture, etc. A dev not making 500 bucks off of Little Samson means that you, as the buyer didn't support the game when it came out, but let someone else dictate the price you paid. Erosion of rights? Renting is what you do anyway as it is, it's stated in every manual on games dating back to the NES. When you buy a CD, it even says that the company that owns the IP can enter your house and terminate your "license" If you want to kill the first party, by all means pirate away. When they no longer are around making games because everyone steals the games, don't say I didn't say so.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 04:35 PM »
I think you're missing the point, the second hand market is full of gougers and price speculators. On top of that, try to steal a car, furniture, etc. A dev not making 500 bucks off of Little Samson means that you, as the buyer didn't support the game when it came out, but let someone else dictate the price you paid. Erosion of rights? Renting is what you do anyway as it is, it's stated in every manual on games dating back to the NES. When you buy a CD, it even says that the company that owns the IP can enter your house and terminate your "license" If you want to kill the first party, by all means pirate away. When they no longer are around making games because everyone steals the games, don't say I didn't say so.

No, I get your point, but I believe you're wrong. Why do you refuse to answer my question about used cars, used houses, etc, if the facts are what you say they are?

You say "the second hand market is full of gougers and price speculators." as though that's unique to used games. It applies to antiques, classic vinyl records, and anything else where there's a wide range of items covering a a wide range of prices. Used car salesmen are proverbially dodgy in that respect, for example.

You also say "A dev not making 500 bucks off of Little Samson means that you, as the buyer didn't support the game when it came out, but let someone else dictate the price you paid." but this applies to all used things. If I don't buy a house when it's new, but I buy it used and for more than it cost originally (houses tend to increase in value over time) than according to you that's bad because the house maker didn't get a penny from me, right? If not, then again, please tell me why buying a used
house is different from buying a used game.

You also say "On top of that, try to steal a car, furniture, etc.", and your meaning isn't exactly clear, but if you mean that you can pirate a game but not car, then tell me what has piracy go to do with it? Nothing, or we wouldn't be talking about buying a used game, we'd be talking about NOT buying a used game and instead pirating the game.

You don't 'rent' a game, you buy it outright. Renting means that you have to pay for it regularly, whereas buying means that when you've paid the money then you own the item. I own hundreds of games, in that (a) I own the hardware the game comes on (disc, cartridge, etc), and (b) I have the right to play that game for as long as I own the physical hardware that contains the game.

You also say "When you buy a CD, it even says that the company that owns the IP can enter your house and terminate your "license". Please show me where it says that. And do you honestly believe that whoever owns the rights to the music can force their way into your home against your will?

And you say "If you want to kill the first party, by all means pirate away. When they no longer are around making games because everyone steals the games, don't say I didn't say so.". What does piracy have to do with it? You said "Don't get me wrong, I'm all about destroying the second hand market as there is no money for the dev to make there", which is NOT piracy. And I said "Seriously? So you wouldn't buy a used car, a used house, a used book, a used TV, etc?", which you've avoided answering. What is your stance on used items other than games?

Sorry if I sound a offhand in this reply, by the way, it's just that I see this "Games are somehow different to everything else, and shouldn't be allowed to be resold" argument from time to time, but no one ever gives any good reasons why that should be so.

And it's not like games makers are exactly reasonable in their pricing themselves, is it? Today I bought Prey for the PS4, brand new, for £27 from a shop in town. That's the physical disc, including the box. Now, whenever a shop sells something, they get a cut of the price, which is the shop's profit, right? Might be 20%, might be 50%. Plus the distributor who delivers the games to the shop effectively gets a cut from the game's price (unless the distributor owns or is owned by the shop, or the shop's staff went to the warehouse to pick up the games). Plus, making a disc, and the disc box, costs money (not much, just a few pence when made in bulk, but still, the cost is there). Right, so out of that £27 the shop is charging for Prey, somewhere between £5.40 (20% of the £27 cost to the customer) to £13.50 (50%) goes to the shop.

So the maximum profit Prey's makers will get from the sale of that game to me is £13.50, half of what the game cost me. Prey is also available to buy digitally, on the Playstation Network. The same game, but as a digital download, so with no disc or box. And do you know how much it costs there? £49.99. That's right, fifty quid (minus one penny). It costs them nothing to distribute the games digitally, so they could charge less than with a retail copy, which passes on the savings to the customer, and Prey's makers still get as much money, or more, than when selling a physical copy in the shop. Think about it, they could charge £13.50 for the digital downloaded version, and they'd make the full £13.50 as profit, the same as the shop bought version does, but the customer would only be passing the very tempting price of £13.50, which is half of what he'd pay in a shop.

But no, the company is greedy, and so sells the digital version for £49.99. There are lots of shops that sell the physical game, so the shops reduce the price to compete with each other, but there's only one Playstation Network, so Prey's makers don't need to compete with other online downloads for the game, so they charge nearly £50.

It's greed, pure and simple.

Regarding the Switch, personally I do hope that the Switch doesn't get cracked for a few years, as most people will just use that for piracy, rather than homebrew, and no one wants to see the Switch killed off by piracy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:05 PM by Kerr Avon »