Author Topic: Everdrive-GBA X5 - Issue when selecting ROMS and saves not working  (Read 4027 times)

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
Hello,

I just received my Everdrive-GBA X5 today and it doesn't seem to be working correctly.  When I select a game, it displays a message "copy backup memory..." indefinitely, and never actually starts my game.  If I reboot my Gameboy Player and try to start the game stored in memory by pressing the start button, I find that my previously selected game will load, but it will not save properly.

I can see save files for my games on the SD card, however the games will always act like there is no save file when I go to load them.

I tried running the built-in diagnostics on my cartridge, and it got a "Error: 0B" on the SRAM test.  It then went on to the Flash test and froze there for a very long time until I eventually turned off my Gamecube.

I am running OS version 1.11 and have updated the bootloader to 1.04.

Is my cartridge defective?  Please help!

Edit:  I just tested my Everdrive-GBA X5 on my old original model Nintendo DS and it seems to work just fine on it.  It only seems to have these issues on the Gameboy player.  Unfortunately, the entire reason I bought it was to play it on my Gameboy Player, so this is a huge problem for me...  Is there any way to correct this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 04:26 AM by MHzBurglar »

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Everdrive-GBA X5 - Issue when selecting ROMS and saves not working
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Have you tried cleaning the gameboy player's cartridge pins?
Also try using the Gameboy interface (GBI)
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:23 PM »
Have you tried cleaning the gameboy player's cartridge pins?
Also try using the Gameboy interface (GBI)

I have cleaned the GBP's cartridge pins, but it didn't affect anything.  Unfortunately Gameboy Interface isn't an option for me at the moment, as my Gamecube is not modded and I don't have an SD adapter.

The issue seems to be specific to the save memory on the cartridge; The freeze when booting games seems to happen at the point when the cart is copying the save from the SD to the save RAM, and that's the component that fails the diagnostics.  Should I try to open a support case and exchange it?  Has the Everdrive-GBA X5 been confirmed to work (and save) on a Gameboy Player with the normal boot disc?  If so, maybe mine is just defective.

Edit:  I have also discovered that 2 of my 3 microSD cards will not even read on the Everdrive when running in the Gameboy Player (SD card not found error) but all 3 work when running on my original model DS.  Not sure if this is related or not, but it's another seeming incompatibility with the Gameboy Player at least.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:28 PM by MHzBurglar »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 10:54 AM »
The Gameboy Player with the normal boot disc works for me with the GBA X5. I played several games, saving worked and the self-diagnostics passed. It froze once when I was in the middle of playing Rockman.exe 1, and I lost my save file in the process. I don't know if that was a rare bug in the game or if it was the Everdrive's fault. Similar things have happened before with my ED64 and possibly other Everdrives that I forgot. But it's not common.

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:06 PM »
The Gameboy Player with the normal boot disc works for me with the GBA X5. I played several games, saving worked and the self-diagnostics passed. It froze once when I was in the middle of playing Rockman.exe 1, and I lost my save file in the process. I don't know if that was a rare bug in the game or if it was the Everdrive's fault. Similar things have happened before with my ED64 and possibly other Everdrives that I forgot. But it's not common.

Thank you for the info!  It definitely sounds like something is up with mine in that case.  I'll contact support and see if Kirkzz can help me out.

Just out of curiousity, which brand/model/size of microSD card are you currently using in your Everdrive GBA?  I'd like to buy the same one to try and use a confirmed, working card.  It would be good to be 100% sure that it isn't just a string of bad luck with my currently-owned SD cards.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 05:16 PM »
It's a 64GB SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I. Original bought from a local store, no e-bay crap.

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 06:14 PM »
So I borrowed another Gameboy Player from a fried to make sure it wasn't just mine having the issue and...  it was definitely just mine having the issue.

What's interesting is that my Gameboy Player and his are actually two different models.  Mine has a part number of C/L-DOL-A-GP, and his has a part number of C/L-DOL-A-GP-1, indicating a hardware revision.  I got mine right at launch in 2003 and he got his later on in 2004.  It's possible that the difference in hardware between these two models, whatever it happens to be, could be related to the incompatibility issues.  I don't have another old Gameboy Player to test this theory though.

I just wanted to post this here in case anyone else ever encounters this issue.  Now I'm off to eBay to buy a rev.1 Gameboy Player.  Thankfully they're fairly cheap if you buy them without the disc.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 09:35 PM »
Mine is also a C/L-DOL-A-GP though. It's platinum colored and I bought it second hand from a Japanese seller (it wasn't boxed but a Japanese region disc came with it) so chances is that this is an early Japanese GBA Player.