Author Topic: My suggestions on ED  (Read 7631 times)

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
My suggestions on ED
« on: June 04, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Hi, after spending some weeks with my everdrive gba, this is my request for an update firmware, I don't know if all are possible but these are:

1. Order alphabetical the games
2. Option to turn led of cartridge off or become it dim.
3. Write the saves to the sd with each boot instead at change of game.
4.Favorites List.

I hear that everdrive has the ability to detect when the battery gone dry, maybe an message like this will be more useful just to remember to the noobs like me:

Battery has gone dry! Turn off the console and change the battery, you can continue but some saves may be lost.

I know that things like the alphabetical order can be fixed with fat sorter or coping again, but it will be better if the OS do the job.

Soft Reset and Sleep Mode

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:43 PM by JCR1 »

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
Re: My suggestions on ED
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 01:13 PM »
to order your roms you can download a program called fatsort.
Everdrives i own: EDN8, EDGB, EDGBx7, EDGBAx5, EDGG

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:38 AM »
2. Option to turn led of cartridge off or become it dim.
I think this can be easily achieved in firmware with PWM. I hope Krikzz implements this.

3. Write the saves to the sd with each boot instead at change of game.

Battery has gone dry! Turn off the console and change the battery, you can continue but some saves may be lost.
+1
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline hooddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 03:55 PM »
I agree to alphabet sort roms is will be good to include it into firmware features
Also it would be cool to have real time saves. Not to cheating but to games with no save states or prototypes or public domain roms to make it fully playable (Prehistorik Man, Flashback Legends, Another World, Dangerous Xmas etc).
And it would be fine to some polish user interface. Dub "cancel" action to "B" button in ROM Settings menu item (like it works in hex view or rom info mode).
And yes ability to disable led would be fine too.
Not neccesary but cool option to support IPS and some kind of game genie kodes.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 04:00 PM by hooddy »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:03 PM »
I wonder how save states option works in systems like Everdrive N8 or the upcoming EDGB x7? Or in DS flashcarts that allow for it?

Offline traal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:57 PM »
  • Ability to play GBC games natively (no goomba.gba)
  • A "Favorites" list

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:11 PM »
  • A "Favorites" list
The gbc playing isnt possible without an emulator.
Everdrives i own: EDN8, EDGB, EDGBx7, EDGBAx5, EDGG

Offline Remobit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 07:51 PM »
  • A "Favorites" list
Indeed. AFAIK when you put GB / GBC games in an GBA there is a manual switch inside the cartridge port that gets triggered by the diffrent shape of cartridge and the GBA is booted into a diffrent mode, using diffrent parts of the hardware.

I really wonder what GBAx7 will have above x5. Probably no way it will support "special cartridge" features like rumble, tilt sensor or solar sensor.

Offline traal

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 10:09 AM »
AFAIK when you put GB / GBC games in an GBA there is a manual switch inside the cartridge port that gets triggered by the diffrent shape of cartridge and the GBA is booted into a diffrent mode, using diffrent parts of the hardware.

Ok, so the cartridge would need a little slider that trips that manual switch in order to put it into GBA mode. Slide it back and it puts the cartridge back into GB/GBC mode. That could work. Making it robust and reliable could be an issue.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 04:22 AM »
doing this would make the card very big.

Exactly we already has people bitch about the size already

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 06:49 AM »
AFAIK when you put GB / GBC games in an GBA there is a manual switch inside the cartridge port that gets triggered by the diffrent shape of cartridge and the GBA is booted into a diffrent mode, using diffrent parts of the hardware.

Ok, so the cartridge would need a little slider that trips that manual switch in order to put it into GBA mode. Slide it back and it puts the cartridge back into GB/GBC mode. That could work. Making it robust and reliable could be an issue.
Jesus christ, here we go again...
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 08:05 AM »

Jesus christ, here we go again...

ikr we cant live without these kind of threads

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Now EZ support soft reset and sleep, can we have that in our everdrives? i bet that there is a lot of functions that can be implemented, gba everdrive has much more power.

Offline OutOfRange82

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Having the option to turn the LED off would be really nice, especially as the LED is mostly on when playing with the GB(C) emulator.
But putting some electrical tape over the LED already does the trick ;)

About the file order: It simply helps by copying all ROMs at the same time, I know this takes up much more time, especially when only uploading a new ROM, but this way you don't need a special tool.
I found out that under Windows, if you choose the last ROM in the alphabet and simply hold Shift in your folder and then mark the first one, it copies them in perfect alphabetical order on the SD card (at least in my case).

About the cartdridge size: I would buy it right away, as sometimes the ED makes it difficult to fit the console in some of the bags/carrying cases that are made for it.

Aside from this: The X5 is already a very neat product and I totally love it :)

Offline Dzumeister

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 07:57 AM »
  • A "Favorites" list
Indeed. AFAIK when you put GB / GBC games in an GBA there is a manual switch inside the cartridge port that gets triggered by the diffrent shape of cartridge and the GBA is booted into a diffrent mode, using diffrent parts of the hardware.

I really wonder what GBAx7 will have above x5. Probably no way it will support "special cartridge" features like rumble, tilt sensor or solar sensor.

I wonder if there's a way to trigger the GB/GBC mode through software? Are there any other emulators other than Goomba available? I'd love to be able to play Pokemon Crystal.