Author Topic: A request for Krikzz team about the issues with the built in Game Genie  (Read 4467 times)

Offline IceCreamKimi

• View Profile
There are a few questions I have that I would appreciate a response to. This isn't meant to be an attack or inflammatory in any way, I'm just looking for clarification.

When purchasing the EDGB it is advertised as having Game Genie support as can be seen at the official Krikzz store. Now over the few years it's been out it's become apparent that the Game Genie implementation is not perfect. Some codes simply do not work with the built in Game Genie while others do.

Since it is an advertised feature when purchasing I feel that there should be an official explanation from Krikzz as to why the Game Genie function is not completely functional. Is it something that can be fixed with an OS update or do we just have to live with it? I'm happy with the device either way but would just like to know what is going on.

I've spent much time trying to make alternate codes for the cheats that do not work. These codes work with emulators but will not with the EDGB. This is part of the reason I would like official clarification as to the issues with the Game Genie. Should I keep trying to make codes or is it a waste of time? Or are there certain workarounds that I can use because there must be some reason why some codes work and others don't.

I know you can patch the ROMs to have the cheat function you like but I prefer to keep the ROMs clean and apply codes when I feel like it. Also I don't feel comfortable removing the SD card all the time to copy across patched ROMs.

I hope an appropriate response can be given. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know why this problem is happening.

Thank you.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
Hi!

Could you please give me few examples of problematic code(s) + rom name(s)?
I will look into it.

Offline IceCreamKimi

• View Profile
Thank you for your response.

I posted a message in the cheat thread so I'll just copy and paste it here:

I've been trying to use an infinite lives code from both Gamehacking and BSfree using the built in Game Genie feature but am having no luck.

The two codes I've tried are 001-43C-E6E and 001-40C-E6E. Both don't seem to work. They work in an emulator though with the same ROM.

However if I try the infinite time code 3ED-8CA-B31 it does work in both an emulator and the EDGB.

I am using the same ROM as the page from Gamehacking.org "Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (USA, Europe) (Rev B)" so I don't know what is going wrong.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
Ok. Thanks for the info.
I will take a look at the problem.

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Ok. Thanks for the info.
Krikzz, thanks for issuing EDGB OS v0.4 to correct the issue with GG codes.
I have a feature request that I think is lacking for good EDGB functionality:
- An option to "Backup SRAM battery to SD" manually in EDGB option menu.
Currently to trigger/force SRAM backup to file, we have no choice but load another game, it's silly.
With an option, we can keep current game loaded and do the same thing.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:20 AM by TheShadowRunner »

Offline IceCreamKimi

• View Profile
First of all there is a new OS? I'll need to look at that. Has anyone tried it yet, if so how is it?

Second, isn't there already the option to copy SRAM to card? Go to the EDGB folder on boot, go in the save folder and select the ROM save you want. Press B on it and you should get the option to save SRAM to card and vice versa. You shouldn't have to swap ROMs to just save your SRAM.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 01:06 PM by IceCreamKimi »

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
First of all there is a new OS? I'll need to look at that. Has anyone tried it yet, if so how is it?
Here: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/everdrive-gb/OS/
It's the same, just fixes something related to cheat codes.

Second, isn't there already the option to copy SRAM to card? Go to the EDGB folder on boot, go in the save folder and select the ROM save you want. Press B on it and you should get the option to save SRAM to card and vice versa. You shouldn't have to swap ROMs to just save your SRAM.
Oh nice, I wasn't aware there was an operation menu when trying to execute .SRM files, great!

Offline IceCreamKimi

• View Profile
Oh nice, I wasn't aware there was an operation menu when trying to execute .SRM files, great!

Did saving the SRAM work for you this way?

Hi!

Could you please give me few examples of problematic code(s) + rom name(s)?
I will look into it.

The fix for the Game Genie you guys made seems to work. The infinite lives code I mentioned above works now with the new OS v4. Thanks guys!
Hopefully this fixes the Game Genie once and for all. Was it a difficult fix?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
Ok. Thanks for the info.
Krikzz, thanks for issuing EDGB OS v0.4 to correct the issue with GG codes.
I have a feature request that I think is lacking for good EDGB functionality:
- An option to "Backup SRAM battery to SD" manually in EDGB option menu.
Currently to trigger/force SRAM backup to file, we have no choice but load another game, it's silly.
With an option, we can keep current game loaded and do the same thing.
Thanks.

As far as I know the user "Krikzz team" isn't Krikzz, If you want a message to be read by Krikzz you could talk to him in the topics he started.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
Did saving the SRAM work for you this way?
Yes, it's exactly what I needed.