Author Topic: Transferring files between Reto Freak (.sav) to Everdrive X5 (.srm)  (Read 4127 times)

ornerypossum

Alright,  I'm at a loss.

I owned a Retro Freak prior to buying my new Everdrive. I used the Retro Freak to backup all of my old saves from cartridges I own, and I'm trying to transfer said files from the RF to the ED.

Basically I insert my cartridge into the Retro Freak, import the save data, and then save it to the RF's SD card. I then insert said SD card into my computer, copy the .sav file to my desktop, finally copying said file from my desktop the the SD card I use for my ED X5.

The RF saves them in .sav format, for example: "Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (USA).sav". While I try and load this into the SRAM of the ED, the game still comes up like nothing has been saved. I attempted to rename the save file to .srm (Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow (USA).srm), load the game without starting, load the .srm file into memory, and then start the game - still nothing.

I've read other forum posts on how to supposedly do this, but I just can't figure it out.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
sure the save r being dumped in raw format?

ornerypossum

The Retro Freak only dumps them as .sav it's a 2kb file compared to the 32kb .srm file that the Everdrive uses.

The data is exactly the same - the other 30kb on the .srm files is just dead space.

I need a way to convert the file :( I've had some of these saves for 15 years and I want to carry them over from my cartridges..

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
dump it with a ds?

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
The Retro Freak only dumps them as .sav it's a 2kb file compared to the 32kb .srm file that the Everdrive uses.
So the problem seems to be that the Everdrive doen't detect this 2KB file?

The data is exactly the same - the other 30kb on the .srm files is just dead space.
How do you know? Did you open both saves (one created by the Everdrive and the other by the Retro Freak) using an Hex editor?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline manhid

• View Profile
Games or saves dumped by RF are encrypted. It won't run on the ED or emu.
There's a Retron 5 save converter that also works on RF except Gba.
Got the SNES, MD and GB save working though.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile

aha thats why i suggested to dump with a ds as now with this info they arnt raw

ornerypossum

They're encrypted? Seriously?

What would they do that?

The ED can see the files.. but when I load them, no matter how I do it, i.e. renaming the extension, etc. etc. nothing works.

I just want to take Aria of Sorrow, Metroid, etc. mobile with me :(

But the RetroFreak is an AMAZING system - the function to rip your cartridges and their saves is amazing.

At least my saves aren't COMPLETELY go.. but I really wanted to put them on my ED.

Offline EthanW

• EthanW
  • Was "Ridj"
    • View Profile

They're encrypted? Seriously?

What would they do that?

The ED can see the files.. but when I load them, no matter how I do it, i.e. renaming the extension, etc. etc. nothing works.

I just want to take Aria of Sorrow, Metroid, etc. mobile with me :(

But the RetroFreak is an AMAZING system - the function to rip your cartridges and their saves is amazing.

At least my saves aren't COMPLETELY go.. but I really wanted to put them on my ED.
Just use a ds with a flashcart, you can dump your saves easily without encryption.
Everdrives i own: EDN8, EDGB, EDGBx7, EDGBAx5, EDGG