Author Topic: Retron HD and the Everdrive N8  (Read 12063 times)

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
Re: Retron HD and the Everdrive N8
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Yeah the AVS is legit, so that makes two good clones.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 03:50 PM »
It seems it's true.
I really missed AVS.

Offline leonquest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 03:55 PM »

the only problem with the avs is that is doesnt work with necronomfive's custom vrc7 mapper. Aside from that, its golden.

Edit: it now works with vrc7
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:03 AM by leonquest »
Everdrive64 V3 - SD2Snes rev. f - Everdrive N8 fami - MegaEd X3 - PS IO - MODE - MISTer

Offline polyh3dron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2017, 12:36 PM »

the only problem with the avs is that is doesnt work with necronomfive's custom vrc7 mapper. Aside from that, its golden.
Oh damn, that's a bummer.

Offline B. Blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 08:56 AM »
I've since gone back to using the RGB modded NES-101 w/expansion audio mod through the XRGB-Mini.  I'm thinking of getting an AV Famicom and having it RGB modded to go with the excellent condition FDS I picked up a couple months ago.  I'm looking forward to the next update for the N8.  Thank you Krikzz for continuing to improve the Everdrive line of flash carts!  :)

Offline Peamur

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 10:15 AM »
At first I did not want to buy AVS because the shipping costs and the price were too high. I've waited for reviews for RetronHD and then RES+ and some other less known clones. After each of them didn't support Everdrives and had multiple issues with sound or graphics I decided to buy AVS anyway. It cost me about 240 euro, (I could buy RetronHD for 60!), but I am still glad I bought it. It works great with my everdrive and all my original games.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2017, 01:20 AM »
I wonder why the EverDrive N8 doesn't work on these clone consoles. I have a RetroN HD and it does handle many repros and that. It seems weird that it doesn't work with flash carts. I wonder if the EverDrive N8 isn't close enough in design to a real NES cart. Even Chinese multi carts work.

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 01:50 AM »
Retron (and other clones that don't work with EverDrives) is not close enough to a real NES console.
The clones that are close enough to a real NES console work well with EverDrives.

Offline EmperorOfTigers

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:51 PM »
Retron (and other clones that don't work with EverDrives) is not close enough to a real NES console.
The clones that are close enough to a real NES console work well with EverDrives.
That makes sense. It's just weird how not a single clone that supports HD can handle it.
Other than FPGA systems of course

Offline EverDriver

• Administrator
  • support
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Clones are very different.
From emulator-based ones to hardware-based ones.
All of them made with a lot of simplifications and "optimizations".
Only the best hardware-based ones are close enough to the original consoles.

For example (as the most amazing approach) some of the clones only check what cartridge you inserted in the console and then start to play the same one from the own internal library of ROMs.
After that the cartridge itself is not used anymore.
For example you could find a very expensive and rare cartridge just to start the rom that already been in the console! However it was possible just to select the rom using the menu.

The producers of clones are trying to make their products cheaper all the time to attract casual players with a low price.
The majority of such customers buying clones don't care about authenticity and accuracy.
They buy such clones just to play few games to satisfy their retro hunger a bit and that's it.

Our products are designed (mainly) for those customers who need authenticity and accuracy.
Of course we don't forbid to use it for casual players but what makes our products special is exactly that.

Clones are from "another world". They conflict with authenticity and accuracy. They have been designed for another purposes.

We recommend to avoid any clones and use the original consoles. Fortunately there are still a lot of them and they don't cost a lot of money.
Almost anyone who can afford our products can buy the original console.