Author Topic: JTAG firmware reflashing recovery  (Read 4840 times)

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
JTAG firmware reflashing recovery
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:36 AM »
My friend recently nuked his SD2SNES somehow. He thinks because he powered off too soon when updating firmware or maybe corrupt file. He already replaced it and I'm getting the old one this weekend. I'm really excited if I can get working spare. :)

Did some digging and JTAG reflashing seems possible but I can't find much info. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction? Thanks

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
Re: JTAG firmware reflashing recovery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:32 AM »
https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/blob/develop/src/README

You should try a new SD card first with the newest firmware. I doubt the bootloader is really the issue. I would also try the diagnostics utility: https://sd2snes.de/blog/cool-stuff/sd2snes-diagnostics

Reflashing the bootloader should be a last resort.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:37 AM by iwasaperson »
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:53 PM »
I think he tried new SD but I'm not sure. I'll know more this weekend once it arrives :) Thanks for info

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 05:26 AM »
Is this a chinese made SD2SNES?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17 AM »
Nope, because I referred him to KRIKzz. Just got here today going start testing soon :)

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30 PM »
Nope, because I referred him to KRIKzz. Just got here today going start testing soon :)
Let us know how that goes. And before you do any hardware modifications, you should see if it's still under warranty.

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Let us know how that goes. And before you do any hardware modifications, you should see if it's still under warranty.

Tested with known good SD, boots menu and freezes almost immediately. Will do more testing this week as I get time. Haven't did any hardware mods and I'm not sure about warranty - will check into it. Thanks

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 10:39 PM »
w that goes. And before you do any hardware modifications, you should see if it's still under warranty.
Tested with known good SD, boots menu and freezes almost immediately. Will do more testing this week as I get time. Haven't did any hardware mods and I'm not sure about warranty - will check into it. Thanks
If the menu loads and then freezes, the bootloader is likely fine.

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 11:42 PM »
Yeah that sounds right. I tried reflashing latest firmware but that didn't seem to help.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 11:53 PM »
Does it work better with older firmware?
(if you flash directly via JTAG remember to delete firmware.img on the SD Card - otherwise the bootloader will detect a newer version on card and flash right away)

Offline GreenXarrow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 09:45 AM »
Sorry about the delay, I've been swamped with other projects.

I'm still unable to find any documentation on JTAG firmware or bootloader for SD2SNES. I'm quite familiar with JTAG flashing and willing to try both, I just need documentation for the SD2SNES.

EDIT: My USB flasher should work. I just need to verify pinouts are the same. I'm still unclear what procedure to follow for SD2SNES/Altera. I'm also not seeing the bootloader file anywhere, only firmwares.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:56 PM by GreenXarrow »

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:34 PM »
Sorry about the delay, I've been swamped with other projects.

I'm still unable to find any documentation on JTAG firmware or bootloader for SD2SNES. I'm quite familiar with JTAG flashing and willing to try both, I just need documentation for the SD2SNES.

EDIT: My USB flasher should work. I just need to verify pinouts are the same. I'm still unclear what procedure to follow for SD2SNES/Altera. I'm also not seeing the bootloader file anywhere, only firmwares.
You'll have to compile the bootloader yourself, but that shouldn't be too hard. All the documentation you need is in the link I put earlier in the thread.
Note that I haven't done this myself, so I can't exactly help you with any problems. I was considering building my own SD2SNES (wanted a black PCB with custom silk screening), but I saw a BGA component and gave up on that idea :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 08:36 PM by iwasaperson »