Author Topic: Removing lockout tabs and the SD2SNES:  (Read 5208 times)

Offline FBX

• View Profile
Removing lockout tabs and the SD2SNES:
« on: July 14, 2017, 11:48 AM »
So I have the SD2SNES that came from Krikzz online store, and it uses the Super Famicom style casing. I discovered that if you remove the plastic tabs on USA Super NES consoles, the SD2SNES board will now sink too low into the cart pin interface and will not boot up as a result. I tested this on 3 different Super NES consoles, where it worked on all three of them no problem. Then I removed the lockout tabs on two of them, and the SD2SNES would no longer boot in those two consoles. Furthermore, I found I could get the SD2SNES to boot in those consoles if I lifted the cart itself about 1 mm upwards after inserting it into the console. This makes it boot every time I do this, which in turn proves the cart is sitting too low after lockout tab removal.

Just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else happens to run into this issue.

-FBX

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing™ inside
    • View Profile
Re: Removing lockout tabs and the SD2SNES:
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 02:26 AM »
Do you know if this issue also happens with original Super Famicom and PAL SNES cartridges?
And so I go fast.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 12:02 PM »
Do you know if this issue also happens with original Super Famicom and PAL SNES cartridges?

I have no experience with PAL consoles, so I can't say. I also want to point out that this seems specific to the SD2SNES and not SFC carts in general. What I'm going to try next is getting a North America casing for the SD2SNES board and seeing if the issue persists.

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 05:54 PM »
Same. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'd imagine lining/shimming either 1) inside the SNES' cartridge bay or 2) bottom of the SD2SNES shell with a strip of single-sided foam tape would fix that?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:57 PM by Brachabre »

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 01:38 AM »
I personally went for a NTSC-Super famicom 1-chip (02 i think based on serial number) with a PAL/NTSC-J shape sd2snes cart H from retrotowers.co.uk (Krikzz told me NTSC console was the best option over PAL via support email) probably due to the fact there are more NTSC US + JAP NTSC-J in EN translation will run at 100% proper speed on a NTSC-J console then that of a PAL console (20% difference in speed? regarding 50hz from 60hz frame drop).  Waiting for jap console to arrive but meanwhile been testing on PAL super nintendo on NTSC games and it's likely I'm not getting the full speed of them games although for few european PAL only games I'll be keeping this console around. Pros: NTSC-J Super famicom seems like the best option overall for not only cost and a rare and unique opportunity to fetch a 1-chip for less than 50-60$, NTSC-J games running at proper speed! and no requirement to mod the console either. The cons is delivery from japan can take 2-3 weeks or more. But that's worth it right? :P

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 06:59 AM »
I'm using an NTSC-U console with the tabs removed as well, but this doesn't happen to me. If anything, it sits a little high, making it harder than usual to push the power button due to misalignment the locking mechanism. Works just fine though. There must be some variance in the manufacture of these casings.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 01:17 PM »
I'm using an NTSC-U console with the tabs removed as well, but this doesn't happen to me. If anything, it sits a little high, making it harder than usual to push the power button due to misalignment the locking mechanism. Works just fine though. There must be some variance in the manufacture of these casings.

Is your SD2SNES in an SFC case? Did it come from Krikzz's store? I'm just trying to narrow down that it might be a manufacturing error in terms of the cart shell.

Edit: Just swapped the SD2SNES into a USA shell, and it's the same problem: Won't boot unless I lift the cart 1mm upward. This seems to be the SD2SNES board itself being the problem. Regular cartridge games boot fine. For posterity, my SD2SNES revision is F.

Edit 2: Modified the original SFC shell to 'shim' the SD2SNES board up 1mm inside it. Fixed the problem!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:58 PM by FBX »

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13 PM »
In conclusion:

My revision "F" SD2SNES isn't designed to the same tolerance or 'wiggle room' as a standard official game PCB.  Not sure if this was ever looked into or fixed in later revisions, but it's definitely a problem with the PCB lead design.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:59 PM »
In conclusion:

My revision "F" SD2SNES isn't designed to the same tolerance or 'wiggle room' as a standard official game PCB.  Not sure if this was ever looked into or fixed in later revisions, but it's definitely a problem with the PCB lead design.

Strange. My Rev F doesn't have a problem in any of my SNESs or Super Famicoms, regardless of which case I use (JP style and US style), or even PCB only.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline scx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22 PM »
probably the pins on your board then FBX?

Offline flamepanther

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:21 AM »

Is your SD2SNES in an SFC case? Did it come from Krikzz's store? I'm just trying to narrow down that it might be a manufacturing error in terms of the cart shell.

Edit: Just swapped the SD2SNES into a USA shell, and it's the same problem: Won't boot unless I lift the cart 1mm upward. This seems to be the SD2SNES board itself being the problem. Regular cartridge games boot fine. For posterity, my SD2SNES revision is F.

Edit 2: Modified the original SFC shell to 'shim' the SD2SNES board up 1mm inside it. Fixed the problem!

Yeah, it's an SFC style shell from Krikzz's store. In case you still wanted to know.

Offline thecavalry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:57 PM »
NTSC SNES 001 and SNES 101 here with tabs removed on both consoles. I don't have any issues with cartridge fit or need to adjust to boot the cartridge.

Bought the SD2SNES from the Krikzz store.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 12:19 AM »
In conclusion:

Strange. My Rev F doesn't have a problem in any of my SNESs or Super Famicoms, regardless of which case I use (JP style and US style), or even PCB only.

Mine doesn't either, but only when I removed the lockout tabs did this become a problem on any of my SNES consoles. As I mentioned, I was able to prove it was a design flaw with the PCB itself, since no other game is affected by the removal of the lockout tabs, and physically shimming the SD2SNES PCB up 1mm solved the issue.

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 02:22 AM »
Mine doesn't either, but only when I removed the lockout tabs did this become a problem on any of my SNES consoles. As I mentioned, I was able to prove it was a design flaw with the PCB itself, since no other game is affected by the removal of the lockout tabs, and physically shimming the SD2SNES PCB up 1mm solved the issue.

I removed the lockout tabs in both of my US SNESs.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:52 PM »
Then perhaps my SD2SNES is randomly flawed. There's no other explanation it could be.

And at least one other person had the same problem:

Same. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'd imagine lining/shimming either 1) inside the SNES' cartridge bay or 2) bottom of the SD2SNES shell with a strip of single-sided foam tape would fix that?