Author Topic: Removing lockout tabs and the SD2SNES:  (Read 6273 times)

Offline iwasaperson

• View Profile
Re: Removing lockout tabs and the SD2SNES:
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 11:45 PM »
Then perhaps my SD2SNES is randomly flawed. There's no other explanation it could be.

And at least one other person had the same problem:

Same. It doesn't bother me too much, but I'd imagine lining/shimming either 1) inside the SNES' cartridge bay or 2) bottom of the SD2SNES shell with a strip of single-sided foam tape would fix that?

Strange. I'd imagine something to do with manufacturing tolerances with the solder mask, but I'm not to sure. Either way, if the fix for you is as simple as installing a shim in the casing, I'd imagine it doesn't matter too much.
@Syboxez on Discord and some other places as well.

Offline Brachabre

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 11:56 PM »
Or maybe it depends on how much plastic is left over after removing the tabs. I took time to remove mine so that the two sections are flush versus being carefree and having 1-2mm plastic leftover where the tabs once were.

Edit: On second thought, I don't think that makes any sense  :-[
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:09 AM by Brachabre »

Offline Enmet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 04:24 PM »
I only have this issue with the SGB2 (SNS-101), where I have to lift it up about 1 mm for it to boot. Never had any issues with the SD2SNES. As someone mentioned earlier, you might want to leave a little bit of the tab when you're doing the region mod. I didn't shave the tabs off completely, as it puts the cartridge a little bit further up.

Online ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 06:39 AM »
The sd2snes slot contacts are modeled exactly after the shape of the original cartridges so contact issues should be common between all of them.
However the sd2snes uses some signals that most plain ROM/RAM carts can do without so the issue might just be with a handful of contacts that make the sd2snes fail with original cartridges still working.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2017, 01:08 AM »
However the sd2snes uses some signals that most plain ROM/RAM carts can do without so the issue might just be with a handful of contacts that make the sd2snes fail with original cartridges still working.

It's possible. All I know is this:

Regular carts all worked fine in the 3 different SNES consoles I did the mod in. SD2SNES stopped working in those 3 consoles. Shimming the SD2SNES up 1mm inside the cart now makes it work fine in all 3 consoles. Therefore, issue was in the design of my particular SD2SNES itself. If it sits too low in the pin interface of the SNES, it won't boot.

Offline FBX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 04:42 AM »
Update:

I ordered a new shell from Stoneage Gamer in order to match the transparent Super Nt I got. With the new shell, no shimming was required. It now boots in any of my consoles as-is. So it seems the SFC shell I got with the SD2SNES when I originally ordered it was simply off by a millimeter for the internal positioning.

Anyway, all is well now, and here's a pic of how it looks in the Super Nt: